What is Ninja Food?

A

AaronLucia

Hey all,

I remember reading in one of Hatsumi's book where he says not to eat salts of sugars. Being pretty hard to do in today's world, i am deciding to try it for a little while.

Does anyone know what good 'Ninja' foods are?

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
we are required to learn the alkalarian diet. its okay if you like veggies. you can look more about it under www.ninjagreens.com . i am doing low carb right now but maybe will switch after.

peace

OP
U

unterlich

i've heard that ninja in the old time just eat rice

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
While brown, unpolished rice is a dietary staple, ninja cannot live on rice alone.

In order to get enough nutrients and calories, some tofu can be added along with large portions of vegetables.

Ninja were also likely trained to be expert herbalists; able to identify and use wild plants for food, medicine, or poison.

In the wild, nuts, grasses, tree bark, and seeds served as food sources as well as having other special properties.

Thanks go to those who provided the useful internet links.

I'm going to go through some of my old notes from classes with Dick Severence and the Broe's (Authors of "The Care and Feeding of a Martial Artist"), and try to come back with some specifics.

OP
A

AnimEdge

I need to find someone around here to teach me herbal stuff, i allways wante dto know that, though, i dont like cooking :p irocnicly though i want to learn how

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AnimEdge said:
I need to find someone around here to teach me herbal stuff, i allways wante dto know that, though, i dont like cooking :p irocnicly though i want to learn how
You might get a good start in a health food store, actually. If you can find one that isnt part of a corporate chain... the people who run them are usually pretty knowlagable and friendly, ive found...

OP
A

AnimEdge

Thats a good idea, i think all there is around me ins like GMC and such though

OP
U

unterlich

i wonder if ninja also eat protein powder like bodybuilders :p

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
unterlich said:
i wonder if ninja also eat protein powder like bodybuilders :p
I do... after I work out in the mornings I mix some up and drink a protein shake.

OP
A

AnimEdge

I used to when i worked out with my sister shoudl would make some, but i personally try to stay away from those, i like the more natural approch

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AnimEdge said:
I used to when i worked out with my sister shoudl would make some, but i personally try to stay away from those, i like the more natural approch
Hmmm. I'm mixing Soy Protien in water... Is that unnatural?

OP
A

AaronLucia

I used to do the protein shakes/creatine and all that fun stuff, but you definately have to be careful. Drink tons of water if you take either one. The main reason i stopped taking the protein powders was that it is very high in cholesterol, so be sure to check out the specs.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gen Soy powder has "not any significant cholesterol" and no fat.

Is ninja food like diet food - makes you disapppear? Food for thought.
TW

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman: "Is ninja food like diet food - makes you disapppear?"

:D In a way, yes. It is easier to hide and be stealthy when you are small and light-weight. In addition, "ninja food" is that which is particularly nourishing and sustaining for the types of activities that ninja are wont to engage in.

So lots of vegetables and protien sources for vitamins and strength-giving energy, as well as special edibles that serve to reduce feelings of hunger and thirst, and serve dual purpose as medicines or wound-treatments.

"Food for thought."
TW

And tasty food at that!

OP
U

unterlich

The truth issssssssss

ninja eat only delicous food hehehehhee

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
AaronLucia said:
Hey all,

I remember reading in one of Hatsumi's book where he says not to eat salts of sugars. Being pretty hard to do in today's world, i am deciding to try it for a little while.

Does anyone know what good 'Ninja' foods are?

As an outsider, this sounds like homespun advice about good eating habits based on an asian/eastern cultural stand point.

I would say the way to go to save heart ache is to look at the nutritional value/category of the foods and the ratios and proportions and consider if it is healthy for you THEN substitute with locally accessable equivalents. Rice is easily available but you may prefer another grain source. "White Radish" is something that is common in grocery stores but you may not like it and may want to substitute with a different tuber/root veggie..... and so on.

Practically speaking, I can't see the "Ninja Sense" in forcing yourself to eat foods that are exotic to your own upbrining/current culture and may become unavailable if the fit hits the shan and you are forced into a lifestyle where learning to subsist on local foods (preparation, harvesting, tolerance...) within a sound nutritional understanding isn't there.

Eat healthy, experiment with foods and - in the spirit of 'life practice' - learn how to recognize and harvest local foods from natural sources.

I have heard stories that things like Dandelion salads and 'grass/mushroom meals' became very popular in England during WWII because of the homespun knowledge of food sources that didn't revolve around a market or grocery store. That is knowledge that would come in handy I would think.

OP
A

AaronLucia

Unfortutunately, culture's food is pretty crappy. Its coke, pizza and cakes. :p