What is ground safety like in MMA?

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Rolling around on the ground and wrestling on the ground that can cause cuts, scratches and burns? Because lot of MMA figters have no shirt on :jimlad::jimlad::clown::clown: and some that do just have t-shirt and shorts. :jimlad::jimlad: What is to stop cuts, scratches and burns? The rubbing and friction on the ground?

Any protective clothing? Those skin tight clothing help?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rash vests work. fighting is physical you may get scratched if you engage in it.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rolling around on the ground and wrestling on the ground that can cause cuts, scratches and burns? Because lot of MMA figters have no shirt on :jimlad::jimlad::clown::clown: and some that do just have t-shirt and shorts. :jimlad::jimlad: What is to stop cuts, scratches and burns? The rubbing and friction on the ground?

Any protective clothing? Those skin tight clothing help?

Most people train in rash guards. In competition I don't think many are too worried about Mat burn as much as the guy trying to knock them out and disconnect their limbs.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Rash guards, spatz and a good cleaningredients product used daily. We use dollamur mat cleaner or Kennedy surface cleaner. Can't fully prevent rashes, scrapes and burns but we can keep mat clean so no infections....at least not from our gym

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a bit of rubbing and friction.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree... but if you keep that up and I'm sure there are some who are going to be in trouble or embarrassed.

It's all in the mind... we Brits love a double entendre. :D

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree... but if you keep that up and I'm sure there are some who are going to be in trouble or embarrassed.
Embarrassed that they got a mat burn or marks on skin from pressure? I have come home and seen 2 feet of what looks like red spiderwebs on my chest from my opponents pressure. Have marks all over my neck and face from chokes, forearms, thighs, heels, ....etc.
They heal and disappear. Sometimes you get a lip cut or a eat an elbow. It happens. Is a combat art.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Embarrassed that they got a mat burn or marks on skin from pressure? I have come home and seen 2 feet of what looks like red spiderwebs on my chest from my opponents pressure. Have marks all over my neck and face from chokes, forearms, thighs, heels, ....etc.
They heal and disappear. Sometimes you get a lip cut or a eat an elbow. It happens. Is a combat art.
Uh...maybe you missed Tez3's double entendre.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Scratches and burns on the body are very insignificant; for me it's always the feet getting burned (fortunately my feet are very calloused). I wear rashgurads mostly cause they don't interfere with movement and manage my sweat during BJJ.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fortunately my feet are very calloused

Urgh! that is not an attractive thought, my dear, girlfriends will not be amused, trust me. You don't need callouses on your feet to have tough feet.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Urgh! that is not an attractive thought, my dear, girlfriends will not be amused, trust me. You don't need callouses on your feet to have tough feet.
They aren't very visible. I just got them from a lot of barefoot activities, not to make them tough or anything.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They aren't very visible. I just got them from a lot of barefoot activities, not to make them tough or anything.

I'm trying to think how to put this lol, ladies like to feel smooth feet. I walk around a lot of the time in bare feet, in the house, garden and training etc, done it for years and my feet are smooth. :) :):)

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm trying to think how to put this lol, ladies like to feel smooth feet. I walk around a lot of the time in bare feet, in the house, garden and training etc, done it for years and my feet are smooth. :) :):)
Most of my time in bare feet is on concrete and wood c:

Latest Discussions