What have I done!

B

buddhadragon

Starting a one month trial period at this school. http://www.wuhsingchuan.com/index.htm Im new to Chinese arts. I have a fair amount of TSD, but its not avalabile here in ST. Louis. Ive always wanted to learn a Chinese style...so here I am. But Im really confused by all the different styles. Can someone kinda tell me about what it is. Southern, Northern, Internal?...I like the Sifu and staff and Im hoping I found a home but a bit of knowlege would be helpful.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was just doing a 'new post' search. I dont know anything at all about this - but I was intrigued by the fact that you live very close to me. Why'd you choose this specific art?

OP
B

buddhadragon

Samantha said:
I was just doing a 'new post' search. I dont know anything at all about this - but I was intrigued by the fact that you live very close to me. Why'd you choose this specific art?
Well coming from a Korean MA background and not finding TSD in St. Louis I decided to look for a Chinese MA. Ive always been interested in Shaolin Monkls..Buddhisim and the spiritual aspects of MA. So when I came across this it seemed to fill the bill. Im not totaly ignorant on what it is..I did ask questions LOL. Its seems the more online reading I do on the subject the less I understand! So many styles that have simillar names. Im pretty sure its an old Shaolin 5 animal style. The schools been around for 25 years so that was a plus. The school is by the loop, I live in Chesterfield.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
More details would be a big help. Give specifics & you'll get specifics... questions, concerns, areas of interest, terminology, etc...

OP
J

j_m

Looking at the web site it says the main style there is "Southern Shaolin 5 Animal Style". You might want to post that up in the Southern Systems section and see if you get any takers there :)

It doesn't seem to say anywhere where or from whom the head instructor learned his art(s). That can sometimes be a red flag... but you never know.

There are more Chinese styles than you can shake a stick at (it's a big and old country). So, like Sean said, myabe you could be a little more specific.

jm

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
buddhadragon said:
Starting a one month trial period at this school. http://www.wuhsingchuan.com/index.htm Im new to Chinese arts. I have a fair amount of TSD, but its not avalabile here in ST. Louis. Ive always wanted to learn a Chinese style...so here I am. But Im really confused by all the different styles. Can someone kinda tell me about what it is. Southern, Northern, Internal?...I like the Sifu and staff and Im hoping I found a home but a bit of knowlege would be helpful.
Just be patient and try not to let the shock get to you.

Have you had a problem stopping your kiups yet? =)

OP
B

buddhadragon

arnisador said:
How's it going?
Im SORE! Its totaly different then what Im used to. I really enjoyed my first class and I have another tonight. There seems to be a lot of reverse punches and kicks. TSD uses those but not nearly as often. So I need to de-program my body. Im just going to take it slow and easy and try to compartmelantalize..*man I screwed that spelling up* TSD and focus on the WuHsing.

OP
I

InvisibleFist

I've not heard of this style. That doesn't mean its not legit, there are hundreds of Chinese styles.

"Five Animal" form is one of the pillar forms of Hung Gar, and according to tradition, comes straight from the Souther Shaolin temple (as opposed to other pillars, which were coreographed later.) They are not necessarily the same, because the "five animals" are fixtures of Chinese occultism(like the 8 trigrams).

There is also a form of kempo called "five animal" it may also be this.

You may want to ask your question over at Southern Fist: http://hungkuennet.forumco.com/ they have a lot of martial scholars over there.

Latest Discussions