What happens when a lot of your e-friends are five to six (or more) time zones away?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I am up and ready post, everyone is in bed. Oh well, I guess that designates me as the PWI (posting while intoxicated) hander outer. Hey you people over near the Prime Meridian!

Good Morning! What's for breakfast?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, I've ever been grateful for the fact that I'm a night-owl so I can stay up 'til two or three in the morning to chat with you chaps.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cory Doctorow is a heck of a writer. But as this discussion shows he was completely off the mark with Eastern Standard Tribe. Maybe something like this little nugget from XKCD is closer to the truth:

good_morning.png

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having moved allover this country and being time zones away from many I called friends I know the feeling of frustration in not being able to be with them or see them on any regularity.
Had bacon, and potatoes for breakfast but then I did not get up till 3PM

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a friend who lives in Hawaii (Hilo, if you're wondering) - she moved there from Denver several years ago. We talk in the morning to early afternoon there, which is in the late afternoon to early evening here; depending on DST, it's a 4 or 5 hour difference.

My father and sister live in Jerusalem; I call in the morning and it's early evening there - again depending on DST (Israel's changes at different dates than Denver's - where Hawaii doesn't use it at all, I think), it's an 8 or 9 hour difference.

Either way, that's one of the joys of email and bulletin boards - no one has to worry about accidentally waking someone up!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Either way, that's one of the joys of email and bulletin boards - no one has to worry about accidentally waking someone up!

Good point :D.

Mind you, I often run into the reverse problem i.e. I'm currently trying to go to bed as it's nearly 3AM and people keep posting stuff that gets my attention :lol:..

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow, that's an 11 to 12 hour difference for us. I'm eating breakfast when you are eating supper!

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, that's an 11 to 12 hour difference for us. I'm eating breakfast when you are eating supper!
Stunning when you think that 12 hours is literally half a world away. :)

Kacey said:
My father and sister live in Jerusalem; I call in the morning and it's early evening there - again depending on DST (Israel's changes at different dates than Denver's - where Hawaii doesn't use it at all, I think), it's an 8 or 9 hour difference.
I hadn't stopped to think Jerusalem's on the Eastern Mediterranean. So from west to east, must be a couple of time zones, at least, huh?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stunning when you think that 12 hours is literally half a world away. :)

I hadn't stopped to think Jerusalem's on the Eastern Mediterranean. So from west to east, must be a couple of time zones, at least, huh?

No, I think the whole country is in one time zone, if that's what you're asking.

Latest Discussions