What features do you want in Martial Arts school software?

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As a student, what type of information do you want to have access to? Class Times? Scheduling? Private Lessons? Seminars?

As a school owner, what type of things do you want to manage? Tuition? Attendance? Rank? Events calendar?

Be your own martial art software designer and say what you want to see in it. I'm just asking....really.... ;)

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i'd like to be able to access student info, send batched emails, track attendance, testing and payment. also something to help me track new students and potential leads.

as a student, it would be cool if they could check their account status, access event info and announcements, and gee a forum would be spiffy.

on a related note, please avoid Champions Way. they have software, but their customer support and corporate integrity are terrible. avoid them like something you should avoid a lot.

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with all of that. If you find one that does that let me know. Right now I have various spreadsheets on this computer to track all of that information. Testing dates and belt sizes, Student enrollment history with phone numbers, Seminar attendance, Birthdays. I wish that it could all be brought up on one page.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me i need someone to set up and use the stuff i am comp stupid

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hah. My instructor just uses Microsoft Outlook...but a program specifically for a martial arts school would be nice. Especially if it had features for students and instructors.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
After seeing my school's owner work with some dojo mgmt software I have decided to begin development on a web-based school management system.

it would feature a student database of course, with contact options such as emailing; class scheduling; ledger features (fees and payments); and custom document printing (letters and certificates for example)

the best part is it will be web -based, so there will be no software to download, and you can access it from anywhere you have internet, so your data is not trapped inside one PC.

I think a monthly subscription fee under $50 per month should be good.

So what I'm curious about is - what feature would make you absolutely HAVE to have this software?

-David

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hah. My instructor just uses Microsoft Outlook...but a program specifically for a martial arts school would be nice. Especially if it had features for students and instructors.

Outlook is an extremely powerful program, that can be modified quite easily to specialize it for any function. It becomes a true powerhouse for small business when combined with an Exchange Server. Both components are available in the Small Business Server - which is pretty cheap, all things considered.

But, it does require a bit of knowhow. Some basic VB skills go an awful long way.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a student, what type of information do you want to have access to? Class Times? Scheduling? Private Lessons? Seminars?

As a school owner, what type of things do you want to manage? Tuition? Attendance? Rank? Events calendar?

Be your own martial art software designer and say what you want to see in it. I'm just asking....really.... ;)

Sounds like someone is planning to write some software? ;)

OP
Monadnock

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like someone is planning to write some software? ;)

Haha, yea. Well DavidCC is on the right track. I was thinking the same thing.

Hopefully talking about web-based apps on MT isn't taboo. I know Bob does some designwork too.

I was thinking it might be a nice feature to have up here on MT. there's been hosted forums, but why not the whole shabang as an option, linked from the individual school websites?

Not all students are web enabled, or savy for that matter, so we shouldn't expect 100% turnout or useablility. Some contact between students and teacher will have to be the "traditional" way. But it is a nice idea.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny. When I read your post I began tossing it around in my head. I have servers and I am a software developer both web and PC/Server based. I use .net platform. There are so many possibilities that I was thinking that would be a cool project to get going. ;) I have been wanting to build some web app and host it on one of my servers. I just haven't come up with a good solution yet. ;)

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not exactly sure what I would want as a school owner, because I don't have a school (yet.) But, for a program that tracks individuals over a wide course of events and requirements, I am involved with the Scouts and we use a program "Packmaster." It would be great if you could put together a package like that for the MA's. It is fully intergrated so if you link several individuals together, when you change general information for one, it asks if everybody that is linked should get the change as well (saves a ton of typing.) Just a thought, check out the trial version and it may spark a few ideas.

MALibrarian

White Belt
Reaction score
I would love to be able to enter a set of criteria for each student (movements, techniques, etc.) and enter a set of ratings for each (i.e. a pre-definited or used defined set that would inform a drop down list associated with each user entered criteria) and then a hidable notes field along with each.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
David - pm me if you're interested. I've been looking for someone with programming know-how that would be willing to take on this very type of project. I have a laundry list of things it would need to be able to do however ... might be easier to do via PM or phone. Let me know if you're interested. For that matter - anyone else who reads this and might be interested, let me know too. ;)

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, we hoped to have our current effort done by now, but it looks like it will go until late Feb. Then we hope to start on the studio management system... so maybe by summer we might have something.

See, the current project we are getting paid $75/hr to build, the dojo mgmt will be our own investment... so the one with money comes first!

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you do this, you should think about setting up a Google Code or sourceforge project. That way other martial talkers with development experience could help out if they want. I'd probably help contribute.

Web-based software? Thin-client? Thick-client? What were you guys thinking? What platform?

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, if you mean me...

We are focusing right now on ASP.NET 2, although 2/3 of us have "day jobs" doing J2EE on JBoss.

I really appreciate and love the idea of many contributors... I've tried that kind of thing as early as 1990. And for the most part, the lesson I learned is "you get what you pay for". If I'm not paying Joe Coder, I have no leverage over him to force him to a deadline ROFL

If I need skilled resources I prefer to pay for them, especially on a project that might actually generate income... keeps things more simple.

So get your resume polished up and I'l look you up this spring :)

Latest Discussions