What Do You Do when it gets too HOT!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In class, today, I was coming back after a long camping weekend really ready for a workout and the air conditioning still doesn't work. It didn't matter before, it was cool but now it's HUMID and 93º in the dojang. What do you do for practice then?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just drink lots of water before class. Your mileage may vary given Colorado's dry climate compared to MN's, but usually once I get moving in class and I start seriously sweating, the temperature doesn't matter to me much.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The makers of the Camelback Hydration system have a motto: "Hydrate or DIE." This is very true. Since the human body (and most everything else on this planet) is composed of nearly 70% water we lose it through exertion and our bodies natural cooling process called sweating (perspiration, for those of the upper class caste).
Continuing hydrate in extreme temprature situations (yes even extreme cold) helps the body replace valuable moisture in order to stay alive.
Find shady spots to do your outdoor work outs/practices/sparring whatever! Continue to drink copious amounts of water even if you're NOT thirsty in those conditions. You're not doing your body any good working out in the type of conditions where you're losing water faster than normal because the AC is out and humidity and tempratures are high.
Like Marginal I live in very dry climate (Utah as compared to Colorado). It's the desert no matter how much snow you see on the mountains. Back east where humidity levels are higher the danger of dehydration is just the same.
Water helps thin the blood and thinner blood helps carry oxygen to the brain faster. It's just common sense. So what if you gotta stop your regime every twenty or thirty minutes to flush. It's good for you.
One word further; Gatorade, poweraid, and those other "aid" drink ARE good (to ok) for fluid replacement, but they're more useful in replacing the salts and electrolytes loss during extreme workouts/sweating. But water (H-2-0) is far more essential to fluid loss replacement. So if you must, then have at least twice as much water consumption per fluid oz of those "aid" drinks.
Remember also to cool down often during the work out... it'll help.

:asian:

From the tv show M*A*S*H:
Klinger (referring to Maj. Winchester): Look at him, he isn't sweating, I never saw a guy who doesn't sweat.
Charles: In the first place I don't sweat I perspire, and in the second place...I don't perspire.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Air Conditioning in MN?? (Wink)

We just open the doors and turn on the fans...

Normal day in Tampa!!

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ditto on the fans, except my humidity and heat are in Austin, TX. I INSIST my students rehydrate, usually by saying "whether you want to or not ... get a drink!"

-Michael

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree I'm in Arlington TX. and we make them drink atleast 12oz of water before they even start to workout and every 20minutes make them drink some more... God Bless America

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ahhhh, its back to 75° again but too late the state bird is out, the mosquito!

Actually, I knew somewhat about the water. But thanks y'all for the great information. I never loaded up on water before a workout though. I think I might tend to throw it back up in a workout. Actually, before I joined my instructor had no water breaks for adults and they didn't ask! But the avid runner I was, I was always running to my water bottle so he gave up.

What I was wondering is what do you DO FOR PRACTICE, when its that hot?
Like no sparring because of gear. What kind of workouts do you all do?

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear MACaver et al:

I also advocate using sports drinks that re-balance electrolytes but with one big caveat. Try not to use the sport drink directly out of the bottle and do not refridge. Instead, leave the bottle at cool temp and cut 50-50 with bottled water. I have it on good authority that the concentration of salts in the sports drinks such as GATORADE are quite a bit more than what is probably good for Mr. Average. And drinking chilled drinks, while maybe initially impacting the core temperature, is less readily absorbed by the body. Using cracked ice in the mouth is a pretty satisfying way of dealing with both heat and thirst without bloating on liquids in mid-practice. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The thing about gatorade is that it as so much in the way of sugar.
One very important thing. If you ever stop sweating then stop what ever your doing and go drink. Think of the blessings of being indoor at least your out of the sun. And better yet don't think about how hot it is just train hard and drink lots.

kik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We do the normal work outs we just give more breaks and insist that our students drink more water.....The classes run a little longer in the summer because we break more often.

P.S.
I have never been to a school that has AC...We just got a carpeted area after 12 yrs on hardwood and concrete......Your lucky

KIK

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
kik said:
We do the normal work outs we just give more breaks and insist that our students drink more water.....The classes run a little longer in the summer because we break more often.

P.S.
I have never been to a school that has AC...We just got a carpeted area after 12 yrs on hardwood and concrete......Your lucky

KIK

Usually we have natural AC/windows but yeah we're blessed. Our highest blackbelts donated the school with nominal rent and punching bags, others donated the mats. Hardwood and concrete, ouch, bad for us forty-fifty-somethings. May God bless you too.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When we used buildings with AC it wasn't much of a decision.
However, our current building doesn't have strong AC. Therefore, I follow a couple of simple rules:
1. Frequent water breaks and chances to catch your breath.
2. Open doors and windows as much as possible.
3. Do not focus so much on speed as stopping power and accuracy. In other words, go slow but use controlled technique.
4. Avoid normally fast-paced activities like certain drills, jumping exercises, and hard free fighting.
5. Be careful to observe very young and older students closely.

N

NW Boiler

The late GM H. U. Lee once said to Master M.K. Lee, the best temp to train at is 88 degrees. So, I know nothing but HOT. I agree with everyone else, lots of H2O and the sweatier you get the cooler you'll be!

Latest Discussions