What conditions cancel training?

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
Training has been cancelled this week due to a run of very hot weather. It is 44.3C (or around 112F) here at the moment and our dojo has no aircon, so for safety reasons we are not training. What conditions, hot or cold would it take for your school to cancel training?.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our school is located in a very large building with multiple businesses so...the heat and air conditioning are generally kept up without issue.

What would most likely cancel training is heavy snow or ice. :)

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Unsafe weather conditions. Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving. No other holiday though. Neither heat nor cold will determine weather we will train or not.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
A tsunami, nuclear winter, an earthquake, volcanic erruption or something similar. As long as we can make it to the Dojo, we train. :karate:

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unsafe weather for travel - ice, snow, high winds, flooding.
Unsafe weather for training - If it's really cold there will be too many injuries. Silat in a meat locker is no fun. I'd like one, just one, year where we had enough space, a real building and heat, let alone air conditioning. In my fantasies it would be somewhere besides a warehouse, a welding shop or a garage. As it is, we've tried heaters, but my wife just bogarts them :) Of course, she gets her revenge in the Summer. When it's 40C she's running around like a little lizard while the rest of us wilt.
Holidays - Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th of July, New Year's.
Weddings, Births, Deaths - So far two weddings, two births, no funerals.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Usually icy roads, heavy snow, etc. are the major factors in the winter. The major Holidays, ie: Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. The schools I go to either have AC or fans, so the warm weather really isn't a factor in closing down. If its really hot, there have been times when I've just taken it upon myself to not go, but the school does not close.

Mike

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Usually icy roads, heavy snow, etc. are the major factors in the winter. The major Holidays, ie: Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. The schools I go to either have AC or fans, so the warm weather really isn't a factor in closing down. If its really hot, there have been times when I've just taken it upon myself to not go, but the school does not close.

Mike

I side with MJS on this...Up here it would be only in the Winter during Travelers Advisory's..

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Upstae NY (syracuse area) Only thing that might cancell class is travelers advisory for snow/ice.

It's never to hot here!

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I follow in suit with everyone else with the weather and holiday closings.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We pretty much only don't have class on Holidays and days that school has been canceled on account of snow/ice.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I rarely close. Sometimes for a Holiday but almost never for bad weather. I leave it up to each individudal student to make the choice in foul weather if they want to drive. Myself, sometimes I like the challenge.

The last time we had a power outage I just lit candles and continued class as usual.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We did that as well when Lea was teaching out of our garage severaly years back.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our classes are rarely ever cancelled. They never fall on holidays. We don't have snow, just sunshine and liquid sunshine.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Christmas, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, and Memorial Day. Sorry, but even New Year's Day has its own resolution training at 0700 sharp!

We will also close the dojo during special events, such as the days that we host tournaments.

We always try to have two yudansha instructors in the building during all class hours. If the primary instructor is unable to make it, then the secondary one takes over (the titles of "primary" and "secondary" have nothing to do with rank, but instead, who is normally assigned to teach a particular class).

If we know well in advance that one of the two instructors will not be there, we'll have someone else sub in for them.

Other than that, there would have to be a major disaster (hurricane, etc) for us to close the dojo during normal operating hours.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Mike

I would go with this - although when it's really hot, it's not much of a problem; we're in a basement - we just move slower and drink more water. I hold class any day the Y is open - the only thing I would add is power outage; being in a basement, when the power goes out, so does the air circulation and the lights, so if it doesn't come back pretty quick, we leave - in 8 years, the transformer has gone out for the entire neighborhood 2 or 3 times, but that's about the only thing that'll do it.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Weather here won't cancel anything. We live in upstate NY, so everyone is pretty used to snow and such. But a pretty bad ice storm is the only thing that I can remember that shut everything down here, including the dojang. Other than that, just major holidays is when the dojang is closed.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't even get snow days off. My teacher lived 200 yards away through the woods...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We did that as well when Lea was teaching out of our garage severaly years back.

Candle training is always a good time!
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions