What are your favorite Aikido books?

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have read the Spirit of Aikido but was wondering what other books you all might recommend? I know Tohei Sensei has quite a few- and I really like the KI principles...

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

James

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are some books by Gaku Homa Sensei which are pretty good. I took classes from him back in Colorado and he was REALLY good. Also a damn fine chef as the school was also a resturant...Man I would love some of that sashimi right now...Ahhhhh....

Also you might want to check out a book called "Hands of healing light" Its kinda a new agy thing but it is all about energy. Also peoples defense systems. Good read if you can find it cheap.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
dianhsuhe said:
Spirit of Aikido

That one is good. Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere is excellent as well.

Have only paged through many others so I can't really say there...

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere is my favorite as well. It's the first one on aikido I ever read and still my favorite.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
dianhsuhe said:
Thanks! Looks like Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere will be my next purchase!

Cheers!

james

When I first joined the board here I started (or was involved in a topic in this regard), a few people stated that book as being one most martial artists should read.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Definately "Koryu Aikido" by Nobuyoshi Higashi. Great Aiki Budo techniques and most of them are simple, has smaller circles and very usable for self-defense.

Eric Daniel

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have a lot of aikido books, I have abouty 10 aikido books. My favorite Aikido books are: Aikido and the dynamic sphere, The student guide to aikido, and a few more. I have one Koichi Tohei book and it's called Ki in daily life. It's a pretty good book if you are into aikido as well as ki.

Sincerely, Eric Daniel

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll be upfront in saying I'm NOT an Aikidoka, but "Center: The Power of Aikido" has really helped out my jujitsu. I've loaned it out to one of my fellow students, so I don't have the authors names handy. It's not a technique book, but it explains why techniques work. I'd recomend it for any standing grappling type arts.