What are your commitments?

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heard an intriguing speaker say we are either slaves to our addictions, or servants to our commitments; that true freedom is not the ability to do what we want, when we want to; but rather the experience one has when they surrender to the momentum of pursuing their commitments in life.

"Addictions" did not refer to chemical dependencies, but rather to emotional and mental habit patterns in which we seek the safe-haven of familiarity. His solution to avoiding enslavement to addictions was to clearly define commitments that build personal legacy, and live life daily with decisions to act on the plan of creating that legacy.

Lead to the next piece...what legacy does one wish to leave behind, and who does one have to be in order to create that? What do they have to do to create that? What must they have to achieve it, as well as maintain it?

So...

1. What do you wish for your personal legacy?

2. What commitments must you keep in order to actualize this legacy?

3. Who are you / do you need to be to do this?

One exercise frmo a previous management seminar was to place things in a "be-do-have" series of statements. "Be" = make a positive, present-tense statement about who you are that includes what makes you better or different from your competition. "Do" = what, specifically, will you do to stand out in your field as one who has achieved excellence. "Have" = what do you need to make it happen, and what will you have after you have made it happen.

Food for thought, or feul for nausea?

D.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not disagreeing, there are some good points there, but just as devils advocate...isnt this drive to "leave a legacy" and defining what you are going to do to "stand out" very egoistic? We should all strive to do whatever we do well. As to what others think, I like your sig. line...

"When you return to the gods for judgement, you will be asked 2 questions...How much did you love, and What did you learn? The rest is superfluous."

:asian:

OP
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
If we redefine ego as the internal force we use to drive us in the field of competition, it is absolutely egotistic. Ego has taken an unfortunate beating in the press over the last 60-80 years. Healthy ego, as a healthy sense of self and place in the world, has been the target of collateral damage caused by this subtle campaign against pride in ones self and achievements.

Man of letters; man of mention; woman of letters; woman of mention. This idea that one persons ego drives them to a life of arrogant accomplishment that automatically causes others to do without is quietly birthing a generation of minds afraid to move, lest they step on toes. What is the capacity of a spirit freed?

Some of the smartest peope I know have intentionally hamstrung themselves, out of fear of being interpreted as egotistic or arrogant, while some of the most well-to-do folks I know are dumb as hammers, and lack even a modicum (sp?) of social conscience. What would happen if the bright used their capacity to achieve positions of power?

Will Rogers was a bright man who abhored politicians. Ironically, he would probably have made an excellent leader...certainly more "morally" fit to lead then many in our nation at the time, or now.

Instead, we have mental midgets in office, granting their cronies medals, then shaking their hands with the postures of macho buffoons. (watch that footage of Bush, and tell me he doesn't move like some idjit who thinks he's the coolest, toughest guy on the block). They are acting daily to leave legacies, consciously or not. Why not encourage minds of all frequencies to tune to a life of purpose, driven by commitment, to achieve measurable results that benefit self & society, as well as others?

D.

PS -- sorry for waxing political in the reply...just saw the footage while half-way through this, and was nauseated by what I saw. The medal of freedom should be reserved for people like Mandela, Gandi, etc. Not envoys of agenda.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suppose it all depends on the ultimate goal. Are you "leaving a legacy" to impress or lord it over others? Or are you just focusing on doing the best you can do and letting that speak for itself?

OP
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do the best you can. You will benefit. Others will too.

If I do my very best to be a doctor people can trust, and keep a commitment to provide the best manual medicine care available, and supported by the research, my own reputation will spread as I get better results with my patients. I will benefit personally, professionaly, and financially, while those who come to me for help will benefit from my personal commitment to provide the best, or find it for them if I'm not able to deliver.

Win-win. Who loses? Potentially other chiro's who are less than honorable in their dealings; patients who prefer to be fleeced than well, etc. Only by being cocky enough to hold myself out there as excellent at what I do, while remaining humble enough to insist that there is always more to learn to be better...

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Legacy? I don't know...sounds like an awful lot of effort just to live life. I just try to be honest, to treat others in a manner I'd like to be treated, to love my family and friends, to do what I can to make things right, and to be happy. I don't see it as creating a legacy. I see it as living in the moment.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
1. What do you wish for your personal legacy?

I have always thought I wanted to paint--oils or watercolor, people, animals, landscapes. Have a little, sold some pet portraits in my twenties. Whether my stuff would ever be a legacy. :idunno:

2. What commitments must you keep in order to actualize this legacy?

Don't know if this is what you mean: I would need a separate studio preferably with other artists (rather than graphic studio/workout room in house) and of course major supplies. Have the time, no location and not the finances.

3. Who are you / do you need to be to do this?

I trained in fine arts as well, somewhat, but need to take classes but none available nearby. I need more passion to do this which I might develop if I had classes and got back into it. I probably would have to move to a bigger city. Our local art center is not up to it.

Of course this could also be applied to learning to ride English, buying an Arabian horse(s), a small hobby farm or getting into pottery more-opening a studio.

It is a bit of fuel for nausea, alot of work...and risk...and idunnos,
so that's all the thinking on it I will do for now and its not the first time I thought about it. But thank you, as it is food for future thought brought to the front. For right now my legacy is my children and that is really a good one. TW