what are the pros & cons of training in a class & training solo

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
im on the solo tip right now - i enjoy it more , i get more done and its like therapy to me :shooter:

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Solo: Builds technique, but loses resistance.
Partner: Gives relevance and perspective, as well as technique, but you can't fine tune certain movements.

That's why I do both.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
solo: more focus, less talk more rock, but no one to give you feedback!
Which is at early stages very much needed to become better.
Faced with yourself, easier to feel what goes on in your body. Inner feedback, important too.

duo: a little more talk, feedback probably a part of this talk.
Be able to judge eachother and even as a whitebelt help eachother out.
Be able to do kata together to develop some rhytem. Essential in a fight, to keep up with your opponent. Broken rhytem is a broken enemy.
Sparring...

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah thats real ! you guys broken it simple and plain - which is better there both better ...

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally I think that both is better. There are things that I see or have been taught in class that I want to incorporate or improve on in my performance but to do this I have to do it over and over till it becomes a part of me. This is when solo training comes in. But if I did not train with others then I would never see what needed to be improved. Unless you are going to go all "Fight Club" then sparing needs to be done with a partner. :uhyeah:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
im on the solo tip right now - i enjoy it more , i get more done and its like therapy to me :shooter:

I don't think I understand the question, or I am misunderstanding the responses everyone is giving.

They seem to be responding to the question "what are the pros and cons of training solo versus training with a partner," but that's not the question you asked, is it?

If I read your original post correctly, you are asking about the pros and cons of training on your own versus training in a class. In other words, homestudy like with a DVD or book versus training in a traditional dojo.

If your question is the former, then I have no comment.

If your question is the latter, then I would say the same thing most people seem to say when asked if training with a book or DVD is as good as training in a dojo - no, it isn't.

Training on your own offers no feedback. If you place your foot wrong, for example, there is no one to see that and correct you, so you'll not only do it wrong, you're reinforce doing it wrong. Eventually, you'll master complete and utter crap. Only someone proficient in the martial art you study and capable of providing meaningful feedback can assist you with training. Books and DVDs don't get it.

Should you practice on your own between traditional classes? Of course. But supplemented by training, so you can be corrected when you do things wrong, before you make it a habit you can't break.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Training solo is great between classes, but I agree with the others that you'd lose the feedback and modeling that keeps you from getting sloppy and then "grooving" the sloppiness.

Plus, you'd completely lack the instruction of a more experienced teacher who can help you expand your knowledge base.

And ditto on the DVD comments.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hello, Great you are enjoying what you like to do at this stage! Our learning will never stop unless we stop learning...

Self-development...begins with oneself....and will find a new experiences'

Aloha, Enjoy the moments!

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
lets just say you got a black belt already and i ask the question : what are the pros & cons of training in a class & training solo

to me dvd training as formal training is out of the question i might pick up a thing or two but thats it thats as far as it goes

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, there are things that you can do on your own, such as:

Shadow boxing
forms
techniques
cardio including weights

Of course, that stuff only goes so far. I mean, doing techs in the air vs doing them on someone is night and day. Having a partner will also provide you with someone who can make corrections. For example, if you're doing kata, they can make corrections to stances, etc. Sparring is also a partner required activity.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
lets just say you got a black belt already and i ask the question : what are the pros & cons of training in a class & training solo

to me dvd training as formal training is out of the question i might pick up a thing or two but thats it thats as far as it goes

Dude, it doesnt matter what belt you are. Fact is, there is only so much you can do on your own. Classes will allow you to work with people of various body weight, height, etc.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Training in class is good for pretty obvious reasons: instructor to help with correcting technique, peers for helping correcting technique, structured learning environment for those that learn better under those circumstances, motivation to train (social, being a time slot or 'expected to come' aspect) and bodies to work with, which is very necessary for resistance, timing, tactics, just to name a few.

Solo training on the other hand is also good, but not for beginners. Without an an instructor there to make sure you have every detail down for a particular move; the more you train, the more you are ingraining bad habits. This is why I would suggest solo training, even between classes, for beginners is a bad idea for practising technique. Maybe for forms or something. Also improving your physical attributes, doesn't need an instructor if you have some idea of what you're doing, so doing cardio or strength work might be an idea for beginners and advanced both.

For those who have a higher level of understanding of what they are doing, solo training can provide: a more free environment for those that learn better in that environment, self set amount of time for training a particular area or technique you want to train, can be a more focused environment, more time for you (less helping your partner in particular partner drills), might help some people with mental preparation more so than a class environment.

Dude, it doesnt matter what belt you are.

I disagree, like I have noted in my above reply, his level of mastery will impact on whether his training is beneficial or is actually doing more harm than good. That is of course just taking that his black belt implies a level of mastery.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score

It wouldn't change my answer. Every black belt I know, including me, trains with an instructor.

Actually, that's not true...I know one black belt with decades of experience who is now looking for a new instructor.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It wouldn't change my answer. Every black belt I know, including me, trains with an instructor.

Actually, that's not true...I know one black belt with decades of experience who is now looking for a new instructor.

My sensei has a sensei. His sensei doesn't have a sensei, because his sensei was the founder of Isshinryu. Otherwise, I know of no one who doesn't have a teacher.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My sensei has a sensei. His sensei doesn't have a sensei, because his sensei was the founder of Isshinryu. Otherwise, I know of no one who doesn't have a teacher.

I would say that even that is not accurate, he did have a sensei, just not in his particular art, but the foundation of his art.

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
i work alone right now and i dont feel like i need a teacher.

i have 3 teachers i can go to my 2 kenpo teachers and my judo teacher thats if i just want to talk or got something on my mind ...

from begining to now ive always tooken major notes , basically made my own manuals along the way - with alot of trial and error of course - over the time like everyone else ive got scientific with this ! me personally understanding HOW MY BODY works in relation to techs. and forms - i sparred for like 6 to 7 years straight 3 nights a week , im not saying im done learning cause we all know we never stop learning.

just SOME OF US DONT NEED BABY SITTERS ALL THE TIME with all due respect to all senseis out there ... training wheels are off

%-}

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
also dont get me wrong about going to class im the type of person that would never miss a class be there early and leave there late ALWAYS GET MY ISSUE in the dojo , have great memories from going to class as well - when i first started taking kenpo the end part of the class before sparring would be jujitsu and i remember no one would want to do randori with me cause i would always throw up , class was saturdays at 10 am and i would come home from partying all night drinking smoking pot ladies etc etc at around 4 or 5 am id sleep for about 2 - 3 hours get up hit the showers eat a quick meal then head out and never missed a saturday ! also remember giving my teacher a jack daniels tennese whiskey bottle for his bday :angel: man those were the good ol days.

Latest Discussions