Weeekend classes?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm curious how many of you have classes on Saturdays &/or Sundays. My classes are during the week, but I've trained at a few schools who had Saturday classes. Some schools don't so the instructor can rest &/or go to tournaments. I've heard of a few schools that train on Sundays, also. (Including one's held in churches).

Do you have weekends classes? On Saturday? Sunday? Both? Why or why not?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really enjoy teaching private lesson's on the weekends. (keeps me feeling young
icon6.gif
) Teaching privates also gives me alot of flexibility in changing the times if something comes up like one of my kid's having a soccer game, etc.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We're open from 10-12 on Saturday's. On Sundays a few instructors usually show up to work out but the school isn't open.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have two classes on Sunday. It works out well because no many other things are scheduled for Sundays.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious how many of you have classes on Saturdays &/or Sundays. My classes are during the week, but I've trained at a few schools who had Saturday classes. Some schools don't so the instructor can rest &/or go to tournaments. I've heard of a few schools that train on Sundays, also. (Including one's held in churches).

My Kenpo and Arnis instructors both hold Saturday classes. From time to time I'll get together with one of my instructors on a Sunday for an hour or two.

Mike

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll teach or hold clinics/seminars or work individually with students on weekends. For example, I've taken my students camping to concentrate for a couple of days on basics, or I might bring in someone with expertise in something to teach it on a Saturday.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
My instructor hold classes on Saturday morning from 9 to 11. I do not.
Also, I would NEVER have classes on Sundays. I might workout with a friend at the park between church services, but I would not teach and I certainly would not have any meet at my building.

AoG

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
I teach a couple of privates on Saturdays before my regular classes that run from 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. I usually hold my tests after 3:00 on Saturdays as well.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes we do have Saturday classes. One morning class and then Open mat from Noon - 4pm and tai Chi from 4 -5pm.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our monthly black belt class are usually on Saturdays, from 9-11 - but today there was a red and black belt testing, so it was moved to tomorrow. Seminars are generally on weekends too.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our tournament/demo team trains on Saturday from 10am-12pm. That way when a tournament or demo comes up only their class is canceled (and they are at the event anyway). We also have testings, seminars, or other special events on Saturdays in the afternoon. We used to have normal Saturday classes, but they had to be canceled to often for the above, or just because kids have so many other Saturday activities (soccer games, baseball games, etc) and most adults want to spend the time with their family.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We hold Saturday classes at the dojos. One is dedicated to kata work, another is dedicated to kumite work, and the third is a dedicated kobudo class.

The way I see it, it's a good thing to have, since there are some folks who simply can't make it to all of the classes that they want to take during the weekday. Work, school, family obligations, etc., can all interfere with a training schedule, and it's awfully nice to have those classes available on Saturdays.

Since I teach a good number of those classes, I see it as a good thing, since it keeps me out of trouble on Friday nights, knowing that I have to wake up relatively early, to get to the dojo. :)

The only time we don't have Saturday classes, is if we have a special event, such as a tournament that we host, or other dojo functions similar involved to that scale.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

My regularly scheduled classes are Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I work, my students work, that was the best available schedule.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We train on Saturday afternoon's with an option of a couple of hours Sunday morning (which I'm ashamed to say I've never taken adavantage of, excusing myself that it's really a karate rather than an iaido session :eek:).

Gradings and seminars tend to be all-day Sunday affairs.

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I teach Sat & Sun mornings outside (rain or shine) from 0930-1200. I have done this for several years and will continue to do so. All of my students are active duty military (at this time). I dont charge much for lessons (mostly blood, sweat and tears). The ones that show up regularly, in all types of weather and after Fri/Sat evening activities, I consider my loyal students.

Here's my "Dirty Dozen" Two have been awarded Purple Hearts for injuries received during combat while deployed to Iraq and all the Warriors here are have earned Combat Action ribbons for various reasons while fighting the War on Terror. Im proud of each and every one! ;)

KAJUPITEASTOHANA.jpg

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have saturday morning classes Sundays are for privates and family training time alone from the masses

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
We do not teach Saturday classes as we keep that open for seminars and extra training.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach a class on Saturdays from 1330 til 1530 or later, in a local park under some huge oak trees. :) It is a great connection with nature. We usually go over what we are doing in our regular class with my instructor.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach Sat & Sun mornings outside (rain or shine) from 0930-1200. I have done this for several years and will continue to do so. All of my students are active duty military (at this time). I dont charge much for lessons (mostly blood, sweat and tears). The ones that show up regularly, in all types of weather and after Fri/Sat evening activities, I consider my loyal students.

Here's my "Dirty Dozen" Two have been awarded Purple Hearts for injuries received during combat while deployed to Iraq and all the Warriors here are have earned Combat Action ribbons for various reasons while fighting the War on Terror. Im proud of each and every one! ;)

KAJUPITEASTOHANA.jpg

That is awesome! :cool:

Latest Discussions