Weapon Only Arts?

T

Tidy_Sammy

Is there places where you can only study weapon training?

I've always been highly interested in nunchukas and the bo staff, I would love to learn to use both but without whatever art may go hand in hand with them.

Is this possible?

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tidy_Sammy said:
Is there places where you can only study weapon training?

I've always been highly interested in nunchukas and the bo staff, I would love to learn to use both but without whatever art may go hand in hand with them.

Is this possible?
I'm not sure about those particular weapons, but have you looked into FCS Kali? From what I've seen so far it's all about weapons, knives, karambit knives, sticks, whips...interesting stuff!

OP
T

Tidy_Sammy

mj-hi-yah said:
I'm not sure about those particular weapons, but have you looked into FCS Kali? From what I've seen so far it's all about weapons, knives, karambit knives, sticks, whips...interesting stuff!
Hmmm thanks, I'll definetly look it up (I don't like to bypass replies).

I'm just more into the weapons stated as I love the display aspect of them.

Maybe I should just get my self some foam chucks and destroy the house!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Both of those weapons are taught in a catch-all category of Okinawan weapon arts called kobudo, along with numerous other weapon types. That being said both weapons have equivelants in other cultures, the staff in particular has traditions in probably every culture in the world.

Good luck, they are usually taught concurrently with an Okinawan karate system. Ask on the Japanese board, they should have more accurate info.

Lamont

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're talking about kobudo; you might ask in the Karate forum.

There are lots of Japanese weapon-only arts: Kyudo, Kendo/Kenjutsu, Iaido, Naginata-do, Jukendo (the bayonet--really!), more. The Filipino martial arts are another option; there are others too, like the Thai Krabi Kabong.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tidy_Sammy said:
Hmmm thanks, I'll definetly look it up (I don't like to bypass replies).

I'm just more into the weapons stated as I love the display aspect of them.

Maybe I should just get my self some foam chucks and destroy the house!
No worries...I'm glad you have some leads to follow! :)

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
The FCS Kali curriculum is based on the Filipino martial arts (FMA), but is by NO means 'weapons only'. :)

Cthulhu

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wepaons are merely an extension of empty hand, Even so called weapons only arts / schools can still show empty hand use / tactics. Use weapons to help with your empty hand skills. If taught properly the change from empty hand to weapons usually isnt all that difficult.

San

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I teach Okinawan Kobudo and it is a weapons only style. I usually want my students to have at least one year of empty hand training, but I make exceptions. You might also want to check on Yamanni-ryu bo-jutsu and/or Kenjutsu, they are weapons only systems. Where are you located and how far are you willing to go to train?

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cthulhu said:
The FCS Kali curriculum is based on the Filipino martial arts (FMA), but is by NO means 'weapons only'. :)

Cthulhu
The instructor I spent time with did mention, and demonstrate (in an awesome demo), empty hand applications as well, thanks for the push to clarify. :asian:

MJ :)

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I dont think there is a "weapons only martial art" even Kendo has open hand and other disciplines.....

Latest Discussions