weapon grabbing inKM?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recently purchased "Complete Krav Maga" to learn a bit more about KM. Something that shocked me a little bit is the method of dealing with firearms. A lot of the techniques seemed to grab the barrel of the weapon. Is this common in KM, or in other MA's? I would think you risk a serious burn, or in the case or an automatic pistol, physical hand damage. Is there some viable alternative?

TrainHardFightEasy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No dealing with guns is not common in other Martial Arts. KM has a lot of good nasty stuff, but on the quite, I believe it can push the realistic boundry with guns and knives.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I recently purchased "Complete Krav Maga" to learn a bit more about KM. Something that shocked me a little bit is the method of dealing with firearms. A lot of the techniques seemed to grab the barrel of the weapon. Is this common in KM, or in other MA's? I would think you risk a serious burn, or in the case or an automatic pistol, physical hand damage. Is there some viable alternative?

The Krav (unarmed) method of dealing with firearms is the best I have seen in the martial arts world (tactical and reality based programs aside). Grabbing the actual weapon in this case is very effective because it enables you to have more leverage then your gun weilding opponent. As to the issue of hand damage, that will be the least of your concerns when facing a firearm. Regardless, burns aren't a concern unless you are the last person left in the mall after he has gone through multiple magazines (in other words, a few shots aren't going to create a problem, it is only after a whole lot of shots that the barrel can get hot to the touch). And an auto-pistol? Well, not a common carry weapon for the common criminal; incidently I do not know how grabbing the weapon would effect the hand exactly, but again, if you are facing an auto pistol and you have nothing, hand damage is the least of your worries.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As Cruentus mentioned above leverage is one of the best advantages with the Krav Maga gun disarms. That and having some control over where the barrel is being pointed.
icon6.gif
(you have to like that) In the moment in a zero sum situation faced with an opponent with a firearm and I have only empty hand skills I think some hand damage would be okay!

There was a video floating around where someone had their hand on a handgun grabbing it while someone fired it and if I remember correctly the handgun malfunctioned and would not fire after one shot. It was a cool video!
icon14.gif

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As Cruentus mentioned above leverage is one of the best advantages with the Krav Maga gun disarms. That and having some control over where the barrel is being pointed.
icon6.gif
(you have to like that) In the moment in a zero sum situation faced with an opponent with a firearm and I have only empty hand skills I think some hand damage would be okay!

There was a video floating around where someone had their hand on a handgun grabbing it while someone fired it and if I remember correctly the handgun malfunctioned and would not fire after one shot. It was a cool video!
icon14.gif
I saw video of that as well. The only pistols I would worry about damaging my hand would be the open slide ones like the Berretta 92.

Jeff

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw video of that as well. The only pistols I would worry about damaging my hand would be the open slide ones like the Berretta 92.

Jeff

Yes I think there is always a possibility of damaging, burning your hand but the other possibiity of having a bullet in your brain seems to be worse!
icon6.gif

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with the others. IMO, KM has some excellent weapon work. As its been said, the burn will probably be the last thing on your mind, and if you stop and think about it, when dealing with a blade, you run the risk of getting cut, so the burn is in the same category.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I recently purchased "Complete Krav Maga" to learn a bit more about KM. Something that shocked me a little bit is the method of dealing with firearms. A lot of the techniques seemed to grab the barrel of the weapon. Is this common in KM, or in other MA's?

This was common as old (1950s) advice. The theory--I emphasize, theory--was that you could stop the chamber from turning on the revolver. I don't know why it's being done now other than the simple fact that you may have to grab what you can and take the risks that some with it. The odds are already against you.

Remi Lessore

White Belt
Reaction score
In addition to all the sensible stuff already written ( - leverage advantage and the relative harm of death over a possibly burned hand) I'd like to add that grabbing a firearm gives more control over where it is pointing than grabbing the arm. It is a more easily held target than the larger hand and wrist/forearm grabs and locks that you would get from jiujitsu-type knife or lance defences applied to modern weapons. After-all, krav maga is a modern system.