WC in the cage/springfield mo

Methos

White Belt
Reaction score
anyone ever done/seen wing chun being used in the cage? if so do you have pics/vids?

anyone in or around springfield mo that practices the chun?

OP
M

Methos

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks for all the responses, does everyone's silence indicate that no one has any idea what im talking about?

SwedishChef

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't think that most traditional matial artists dive into pro or semi pro competitions. Most of us have jobs and families and stuff. If I have the time I'll get backl to ya. Thanks.

gblnking

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone seen/done Tae Kwan Do in the cage? How about Aikido? Or Ninjitsu? Maybe Hung Gar, Escrima, Fencing, or Bagua? Has anyone seen/done Bjj in a Tae Kwan Do tournament, or Muay Thai kickboxing in a Judo match?
My point is that cage fighting (UFC, MMA) is a sport specific to kickboxing and BJJ. There are rules in place that try to maintain a balance between the safety for the fighters and entertainment for the fans (of which I am one). Most fighting systems (traditional or modern) aren’t set up in a manor that fits them in the sport-fighting arena.
If all the MMA fighters did were hits to the soft area’s, (throat, groin) and limb destruction, (elbows and knee’s) they wouldn’t be able to retain enough good fighters to keep the crowds entertained.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Has anyone seen/done Tae Kwan Do in the cage? How about Aikido? Or Ninjitsu? Maybe Hung Gar, Escrima, Fencing, or Bagua? Has anyone seen/done Bjj in a Tae Kwan Do tournament, or Muay Thai kickboxing in a Judo match?
My point is that cage fighting (UFC, MMA) is a sport specific to kickboxing and BJJ. There are rules in place that try to maintain a balance between the safety for the fighters and entertainment for the fans (of which I am one). Most fighting systems (traditional or modern) aren’t set up in a manor that fits them in the sport-fighting arena.
If all the MMA fighters did were hits to the soft area’s, (throat, groin) and limb destruction, (elbows and knee’s) they wouldn’t be able to retain enough good fighters to keep the crowds entertained.
I agree completely
I get to tournaments (MMA) and have had two cage matches
Please bear in mind that these were not professional bout (ie no where near the skill and standard of the UFC)
Wing chun on its own can not survive on the cage, however I used elements of WC to dominate opponents before submitting them or knocking them out. Yeah I lost a few fights but won a lot too!
If you are thinking of going into the cage, learn grappling and a kickboxing art. DO NOT go in with just wing chun. You will get crucified

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you are thinking of going into the cage, learn grappling and a kickboxing art. DO NOT go in with just wing chun. You will get crucified

Well put. And that does not demean WC in the least. The same would be true of boxing or a kicking art by themselves. You need the whole package.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've actually seen quite a bit of TKD in the ring. Some WC, but you have to look for it and recognize bits and pieces. I've seen people use the chain punching and the centerline attack that is very much WC/JKD. But like others have posted, it's simply one aspect of a multifaceted beast.

I've seen BJJ black belts get dominated, because they only brought one card to a 5 card poker game. Same with boxers, wrestlers etc. It almost always takes a more complete game (although some will do well initially as they go against unskilled or off-guard opponents).

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Exactly. Knowing several arts allows opportnities to open up
I've seen good guys get into the ring and not take opportunities ike ground and pound or a shoot because they didn't know how to do it

Kevin Chan is well respected because he is a Master of wing chun but also a black belt in BJJ and an extremely good kickboxer and boxer

Despite his skills in wing chun, he realised very early on that wing chun is a great system but could be made even better by learning ground based arts and long range arts

I certainly never try and get on his bad side!!

Other Masters such as Alan Orr learnt Catch Wrestling for the same reason

You can't rely on any one art, no matter how good that art is

Hence why Royce Gracie was defeated not so long ago

Latest Discussions