WC - how to fight a boxer

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is Izzo considered Wing Chun? I think he is right here. But you have to be fast and prepared to get hit. Why don’t more WC guys fight this way? It’s similar to what Adam Chan had said too.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is Izzo considered Wing Chun? I think he is right here. But you have to be fast and prepared to get hit. Why don’t more WC guys fight this way? It’s similar to what Adam Chan had said too.
I would not do several things that was shown here but the idea is good.
A good boxer when pressured as done here would attempt to clinch and tie up the arms. Competitive amateur boxers don't clinch due to rules and points can/will be taken for clinching. Good boxers are very good at tie ups.

Some wc people train and spar other arts and fighters, I think many wc practitioners only train vs other wc people and many don't train or spar full contact. Those that don't usually are lacking in skill vs other type arts.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

The guy claims he knows how to box and proceeds to stand right in front of the guy like a statue and not box at all. Clickbait!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No. Izzos guys were gun shy. He would have go his face smashed in during those exchanges If they actually hit at range.

Sorry.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I still like Adam Chan's way best but he is also ridiculously fast lol

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think those punches that Izzo actually ate were ones that he rushed his face at so fast that they couldn't pull back in time.

Which of course wouldn't be cool at speed.

There is a mugging style of fighting that one of my coaches does really well. And he is short so he also has to enter and close distance. If I can get some footage or something there are probably some ideas that would be really useful for chunners against anybody.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I maintain that there is gold in Wing Chun concepts and movements. I use it in live sparring all the time and it's saved my *** more than a few times.

I also hold, ironically perhaps, that it is overt loyalty to the style that prevents it being used by quote unquote, "Wing Chun guys"

Reactions: KPM

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why don't you just kick a boxer if you are a WC guy? When your opponent's fist comes toward your face, your kick go toward his chest.

Because it ultimately takes too long.

So you may nail him as the culmination of 5 exchanges. But once he closes he can knock you out in the first one.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

So you may nail him as the culmination of 5 exchanges. But once he closes he can knock you out in the first one.
- When your opponent punches at your face, if you just raise up your leg on time, your opponent will run into your kick.
- If you have good low roundhouse kick, you can hurt your opponent's leg so bad that he can't even stand straight.
- If you have good foot sweep, you can sweep him down when he advances.
- If you have good knee stomp kick, you can prevent your opponent's weight from shifting onto his leading leg.

There is nothing wrong to spend 100% of your effort in kicking when you deal with a boxer.

Last edited:

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
What type of boxer? There's more than one style of boxer....I wouldn't fight floyld mayweather the same way I'd fight mike tyson

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the few videos where a Kung Fu spar doesn't look that bad. Just messing around and the WC guy is not closing the gap.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, kicking a boxer is still my first strategy.

"Takes too long." I can kick low (so quite quick), before the punch distance (a bit more time) and even "kicking" out of range may freeze (at least some recreational) boxers. If they put pressure forward it is more difficult. One needs to start in advance kicking the front leg, which is usually close and readily available. It destroys boxer's footwork, power and confidence.

Good or not, is the best I have. The second best are knees from the clinch. :) I'm not going to box against a(ny) boxer if it is to be competitive...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One time I sparred with a boxer. I used only one strategy - knee stomping. The moment that my opponent shifted weight onto his leading leg, the moment that I "stomped" on his knee with all my body weight on it. Since he could not transfer weight onto his leading leg, his punch could not reach me. He was very frustrated, we stopped the sparring, and he refused to spar with me any more. In the whole 5 minutes sparring, I did not throw even one punch.

When you keep shooting bullets at your opponent's feet to make him to jump up, he will lose desire to fight you pretty soon.

Here is an example of "knee stomp".

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, kicking a boxer is still my first strategy.

"Takes too long." I can kick low (so quite quick), before the punch distance (a bit more time) and even "kicking" out of range may freeze (at least some recreational) boxers. If they put pressure forward it is more difficult. One needs to start in advance kicking the front leg, which is usually close and readily available. It destroys boxer's footwork, power and confidence.

Good or not, is the best I have. The second best are knees from the clinch. :) I'm not going to box against a(ny) boxer if it is to be competitive...

You know why people have an issue with anti grappling?

Same issue.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can definitely see kicking as being a great way to keep a boxer at bay. I also think WC's kick is effective w/o being too flashy and setting you up for disaster. Being boxers only use their upper bodies, kicking is something they lack. I'm surprised Izzo and others never talk about that. It's as if the WC kick doesn't even exist. Why is that?? I never see Mark Philips, Orr or any other WC guy talk about it. Even Adam Chan. ?? I'll call these guys the progressive WC group.

I sparred with one of the head WC guys at my school doing distance training with kicks. My kicks are awful. I never practiced a martial art and have only boxed in the past. I played soccer for years and that's the only kicking I was ever exposed to LOL. He was really good and if I was better at it, I'd definitely consider that as a viable option against a good boxer. My flexibility is horrendous. It could also throw him off enough for you to close that gap and use the other WC attributes more effectively. Just a thought.

That knee stomp kick Kung Fu Wang posted would seem highly effective IMO. If you're good at it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can definitely see kicking as being a great way to keep a boxer at bay. I also think WC's kick is effective w/o being too flashy and setting you up for disaster. Being boxers only use their upper bodies, kicking is something they lack. I'm surprised Izzo and others never talk about that. It's as if the WC kick doesn't even exist. Why is that?? I never see Mark Philips, Orr or any other WC guy talk about it. Even Adam Chan. ?? I'll call these guys the progressive WC group.

I sparred with one of the head WC guys at my school doing distance training with kicks. My kicks are awful. I never practiced a martial art and have only boxed in the past. I played soccer for years and that's the only kicking I was ever exposed to LOL. He was really good and if I was better at it, I'd definitely consider that as a viable option against a good boxer. My flexibility is horrendous. It could also throw him off enough for you to close that gap and use the other WC attributes more effectively. Just a thought.

That knee stomp kick Kung Fu Wang posted would seem highly effective IMO. If you're good at it.

You can bend your front knee and wear that kick for at least a bit.
This is John Jones who does this better than anyone.

Nobody drops. He still has to be able to handle a punching xchange at some point.

Punching and head stiking in general can finish fights right there.

So you cant just ignore that aspect hoping you are going to keep people at bay. You just dont get the effect you are looking for.

Last edited:
OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL good point.

Maybe this is why Muay Thai is such a great, effective art. It combines boxing with great kicking LOL!!

In a street fight though, I think that WC kick is more than sufficient. In UFC, no.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL good point.

Maybe this is why Muay Thai is such a great, effective art. It combines boxing with great kicking LOL!!

In a street fight though, I think that WC kick is more than sufficient. In UFC, no.

No.

To effectively use the knee kick you really should be able to handle the hands exchange.

I have never really seen that kick pulled off in a street fight. Jump on youtube. There are more successful flying icks in street fights than knee kicks.

Ufc is the only olace you even see those kicks. Which is why I used tyat example.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you can make your opponent to feel uncomfortable, you will make yourself to feel comfortable.

Can you use knee kick to break your opponent's leg? It may be difficult. Can you use it to make your boxer opponent to feel uncomfortable? Definitely you can. A right leg "knee stomp" followed by a left leg 'foot sweep" is a very good combo.

If you can lead your opponent into an area that you are more familiar with than he does, that will be your advantage.

Arm drag and circle running can also be effective on a boxer.

Last edited: