Watch Toyota's Grand Congressional Inquisition Live At 11:00 AM

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Per: http://jalopnik.com/5478030/watch-toyotas-grand-congressional-inquisition-live-at-1100-am

Watch Toyota's Grand Congressional Inquisition Live At 11:00 AM

So if you're one of those silly "obsessed with the auto industry" types (yes, we know that's an ever-shrinking demo these days), you've got three ways to see it live:

1.) Be Jim Lentz. This is easy. If you're Toyota Motor Sales USA President Jim Lentz or, like, a member of the U.S. House Energy & Commerce Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations, staff, or one of maybe 15 members of the media who paid a courier to wait outside the doors of the hearing since 6:00 AM to get a seat for you, you've got a front row seat. If not, proceed to the next couple of options.

2.) Watch on C-SPAN 3. Yes, that's right, C-SPAN's bowed to high public demand for this hearing, moving it from C-SPAN 8 — "The Ocho" — all the way up the C-SPAN viewing hierarchy to "The Tres."

3.) Watch online. The House Energy & Commerce Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations website claims they'll be streaming it live — so take 'em up on it — and lets tear that mother down with the countless dozens of us interested enough to want to watch.

Links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War

http://energycommerce.house.gov/ind...a-recall&catid=122:media-advisories&Itemid=55

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
The politics behind this whole thing are becoming pretty obvious. There's more behind all this than a recall. Amy auto manufacturers have had recalls in the past. Im starting to wonder who the man behind the curtain is.

Im also wondering what the gvt plan here is with Toyota seeing how many American citizens are employed by the company or provide parts and services for it.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The politics behind this whole thing are becoming pretty obvious. There's more behind all this than a recall. Amy auto manufacturers have had recalls in the past. Im starting to wonder who the man behind the curtain is.

Im also wondering what the gvt plan here is with Toyota seeing how many American citizens are employed by the company or provide parts and services for it.

I am confused, as I do not see the politcs behind the whole thing. Could you elaborate? I would be interested in knowing what I am missing.

Yes other manufacturers have recalls. Many are proactive for stalls and other safety issues. If they think there might be a problem they fix it ASAP and have it available to service and or recall. Toyota's history has been denial and avoidance, and it has caught up with them, from my point of view.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm.....

Ford has the same issue with a recall over a pedal. Don't see that in the news, nor the "Congressional Investigation".

Interesting how much attention Congress is paying to Toyota. Conflict of interest considering the government pretty much owns GM.

Governors defend Toyota, cite federal 'conflict of interest'

David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau

Washington -- Four governors strongly defended Toyota Motor Corp.'s safety record and suggested the Obama administration has a "conflict of interest" because of its majority stake in General Motors Co.
The letter, from Kentucky Gov. Steven Beshear, Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour and Alabama Gov. Bob Riley, was the first public defense of the Japanese automaker from prominent U.S. politicians after a series of recalls of 9 million vehicles worldwide.
All four states have close ties to Toyota and operations in their states. They called the company a "valuable friend." All are Republicans except Beshear, a Democrat.
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100210/AUTO01/2100438

So the U.S. government, majority shareholder of General Motors, is aggressively regulating Toyota, which is to say, its competition. How can owners of Toyota cars be sure Washington is looking out for their interests and not its own? Such is a pitfall of the "public option" in the auto industry--and in other industries as well.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704041504575045184217088998.html

That's ok. If we're panicking over an over inflated issue with Toyotas, we won't notice the Health Care BS, and hey, it's all good for the 2 remaining US car makers who have great offers for you, and make reliable and safe cars with nary a recall or issue.

GM Recalls 1.5 Million Buick, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile and Pontiac Vehicles

Ford recall hits 4.5 million more vehicles on fire hazard

Oh......wait....those cars will catch fire. Hmm......

Ford join Toyota in hybrid cars recall

oh....

Well, must be rare huh?

Models

Other Makes

Select a model to check the latest Chevrolet recalls announced by the NHTSA.

• 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

• 2009 Chevrolet HHR

• 2010 Chevrolet Equinox

• 2009 Chevrolet Impala

• 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche

• 2009 Chevrolet Malibu

• 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt

• 2009 Chevrolet Suburban

• 2009 Chevrolet Colorado

• 2009 Chevrolet Tahoe

• 2009 Chevrolet Express

• 2009 Chevrolet Traverse

Uh...... Err.......

So...all this media attention, huge sales boosts to GM and Ford...... I highly doubt the government cares about our well being.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm.....

Ford has the same issue with a recall over a pedal. Don't see that in the news, nor the "Congressional Investigation".

Interesting how much attention Congress is paying to Toyota. Conflict of interest considering the government pretty much owns GM.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100210/AUTO01/2100438

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704041504575045184217088998.html

That's ok. If we're panicking over an over inflated issue with Toyotas, we won't notice the Health Care BS, and hey, it's all good for the 2 remaining US car makers who have great offers for you, and make reliable and safe cars with nary a recall or issue.

GM Recalls 1.5 Million Buick, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile and Pontiac Vehicles

Ford recall hits 4.5 million more vehicles on fire hazard

Oh......wait....those cars will catch fire. Hmm......

Ford join Toyota in hybrid cars recall

oh....

Well, must be rare huh?

Models

Other Makes

Select a model to check the latest Chevrolet recalls announced by the NHTSA.

• 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

• 2009 Chevrolet HHR

• 2010 Chevrolet Equinox

• 2009 Chevrolet Impala

• 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche

• 2009 Chevrolet Malibu

• 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt

• 2009 Chevrolet Suburban

• 2009 Chevrolet Colorado

• 2009 Chevrolet Tahoe

• 2009 Chevrolet Express

• 2009 Chevrolet Traverse

Uh...... Err.......

So...all this media attention, huge sales boosts to GM and Ford...... I highly doubt the government cares about our well being.

Bob,

First, thank you for the data.

Second, I never said there were no recalls at GM or Ford. I was only psoting link from the media. (* Which I will reference again alter *)

Third, Many of those recalls effect small numbers and the manufacturer either issues the recall themselves or did not argue with NTHSA.

Fourth, As to the Fire concern with Ford, I only have to agree. I said it at the time that it was a problem. I may not have posted it here.

Fifth, The Japanese Governments loan to automanufcaturers and create laws that help them. While it would be play in their background you play by their rules. In the early 90's there were some minor tariffs on Trucks imported into the US. But it never was near the 100% of the cost of the vehicle like it is in Japan.

Sixth, Toyota has denied there have been problems since 1998. Toyota has been denying issues in California with their Diagnostics which have lead to changes in laws that have driven cost into the car.

Seventh, I stated before the Media gets on an idea and they cover it and make more out of it than it possible is, because it is THE NEWS!. The jump on band wagons and enjoy taking it to people/companies. For Years it was GM as they were number one. Now that Toyota is Number one and they are having problems. It is nothing more than their turn in the barrel as some might say.

Eighth, When I was making comments about it being a conspiracy about GM and other US manufacturers and the perceived quality issues was made up and or adjusted by the media, I was biased and paranoid.

Ninth, Now that it is on the other hand, I am part of the conspiracy to attack Toyota by posting links to articles in the media.

Tenth, I am enjoying the negative media.

Eleventh, I am not enjoying the families who are worried about their cars, and or wondering about the safety of loved ones or those they may have lost.

Thanks

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abraham/detail??blogid=95&entry_id=58358

If you're older than 35, you can remember a time when Ford cars and General Motors cars always seemed to be the subject of auto recall news. You can remember when Nissan and Toyota were symbols of quality and the term "recall" was never associated with them. You can remember GM selling a lot of cars, too.

Toyota and Nissan are starting to look very much like the Ford and GM of the past. And in the 21st Century, it's Ford that's emerged as the quality, top selling car brand. Ford is the one U.S. auto organization that did not accept a large American government bailout (even though Ford Worldwide has pressured the German government to extend that nation's version of the "Cash-for-Clunkers" program), making key concessions with its unions to lower costs and avoid additional layoffs in 2010. Now, Ford is hiring: an additional 1,200 workers at its new Explorer plant in Chicago.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Side note: I still wouldn't buy another Ford unless I had to. My worst experiences with cars and with dealers were with Fords.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Per: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_runaway_prius

Prius with stuck accelerator glides to safe stop

A patrol car pulled alongside the Prius and officers told Sikes over a loudspeaker to push the brake pedal to the floor and apply the emergency brake.

"They also got it going on a steep upgrade," said Officer Jesse Udovich. "Between those three things, they got it to slow down."

After the car decelerated to about 50 mph, Sikes turned off the engine and coasted to a halt.

The last line quoted here is very important. He turned the engine off.

Per Toyota's instructions turn the engine off but do not remove the key this stops the torque producing units from sending torque to the wheels.
Without removing the key and leaving it in Accessory, you still get pwoer steering and power brakes.

For your safety and the safety of anyone you know, make sure they understand this works or should work for all vehicles. This is something people should know, in particular if they got their letter from Toyota.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Side note: I still wouldn't buy another Ford unless I had to. My worst experiences with cars and with dealers were with Fords.

I'd buy another Ford truck, I loved my Ranger and miss it a lot (traffic accident). But I'd never buy a car from Ford because they drive like... trucks. ;) Honda ftw.