WARNING: MA Training Offer in Philippines Ends in Kidnapping/Torture

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a horrifying story. It looks as thought it might not be a one-off, but rather a concerted effort; hence the warning to others. Please pass along as you feel appropriate.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10752933

A New Zealand woman has told how she was kidnapped, beaten and forced into prostitution after being duped by a Facebook invitation to join a martial arts school.

Mary Elizabeth Jones, 39, was held captive in a tiny, filthy room for five and a half months and forced to have sex with up to nine men a day, after being kidnapped in the Philippines.

The martial arts enthusiast's ordeal began when she answered a message from a top martial arts group, inviting her to a month's intense training in the country in October.

"They were meant to be world class and I thought this was a chance for me to learn from the best," said Ms Jones.

But after being picked up from Iloilo City's airport by the purported leader of the group, Ms Jones was robbed of her belongings and thrown into the bug-infested room.

She was visited by up to nine men a day and forced to have sex with them. Each paid 5000 pesos ($140).

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thats... Quite Tragic.

I Cant Help But Think Though, That Id Be EXTREMELY Suspicious, Of Being Contacted Via FACEBOOK.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats... Quite Tragic.

I Cant Help But Think Though, That Id Be EXTREMELY Suspicious, Of Being Contacted Via FACEBOOK.

I'm in contact with quite a few legitimate FB martial arts groups and I've been invited to seminars and tournaments via that medium; it's all been on the up-and-up. I'm not suggesting that there were not ways to tell that the offer she received was not legitimate, but I note that she's 39 years old; not quite like the kids today who are more 'aware' that a posting can easily be a scam. Some of us can be too trusting when we see something online. In any case, fair warning to all - don't just trust blindly. What a horrifying, horrifying, experience. The poor woman has my prayers for her spiritual as well as physical recovery. Such a horrible thing to have happen.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thats... Quite Tragic.

Just a question, Why did you cap the first letter of every word?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very tragic! Just another anecdote to remind us to always have our guard up, and be skeptical at all times until we can be very sure of things.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm in contact with quite a few legitimate FB martial arts groups and I've been invited to seminars and tournaments via that medium; it's all been on the up-and-up. I'm not suggesting that there were not ways to tell that the offer she received was not legitimate, but I note that she's 39 years old; not quite like the kids today who are more 'aware' that a posting can easily be a scam. Some of us can be too trusting when we see something online. In any case, fair warning to all - don't just trust blindly. What a horrifying, horrifying, experience. The poor woman has my prayers for her spiritual as well as physical recovery. Such a horrible thing to have happen.

Certainly - But Normally, Youre Acquainted with the Groups Initially.
I wouldnt go join a Random Karate Group, then get Invited to a Tournament for Example :)

Just a question, Why did you cap the first letter of every word?

Its 1:34 AM, and I was Multitasking like Nobodies Business a while ago. I can do strange stuff with my Phrasing when im Multitasking :)
From Capitolising EVERY First Letter instead of just some; To Needless Repetition.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I would think a 39 year old woman would be aware. She has my sympathies, little good they'll do her. How long had she been on FB? There are a lot of scams on and strange people trying to "friend" you. This is an extreme outcome, but it's hard to wrap my mind around flying out to a group that she hasn't validated first. Harsh.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would think a 39 year old woman would be aware. She has my sympathies, little good they'll do her. How long had she been on FB? There are a lot of scams on and strange people trying to "friend" you. This is an extreme outcome, but it's hard to wrap my mind around flying out to a group that she hasn't validated first. Harsh.

People ask on MT about this or that group all the time; and I've seen some pretty dicey answers from people who clearly don't know what they're talking about.

I find it interesting since I posted this that a) there's little sympathy for the victim, b) in fact, the victim has been made out to be stupid, when frankly it seems to me that it could happen to any newbie here on MT and c) this is not seen as a warning sign to anyone else; clearly it's her problem and no one else's. Wow. Yeah, talk about harsh.

I guess all you guys (not just you, Monroe) are way too smart to be fooled, and why bother warning anyone else, since if they fall for it it, they're idiots who deserve what they get.

I kind of wish I hadn't posted it now. It's like when I used to post news stores about MA instructors arrested for sexually assaulting students. You can find a new story practically every single day in the news about it, but nobody from MT wants to talk about it. It just doesn't happen as far as most of y'all are concerned. Amazing.

So OK, carry on. Y'all are geniuses, nobody ever gets fooled. I guess warning people is stupid, it's every man and woman for themselves.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You don't think buying a plane ticket and planning to train in a foreign country is a large enough investment to investigate first? I'm sorry if I seem to be/am blaming the victim. It is difficult to picture happening based on the little information the newspiece provide. I don't assume I'm smarter than the average joe. I just thought the average person would do some background checking before sinking that much money into something.

I haven't noticed news stories of MA instructors sexually assaulting students. That's unfortunate.

NSRTKD

Green Belt
Reaction score
People ask on MT about this or that group all the time; and I've seen some pretty dicey answers from people who clearly don't know what they're talking about.I find it interesting since I posted this that a) there's little sympathy for the victim, b) in fact, the victim has been made out to be stupid, when frankly it seems to me that it could happen to any newbie here on MT and c) this is not seen as a warning sign to anyone else; clearly it's her problem and no one else's. Wow. Yeah, talk about harsh.I guess all you guys (not just you, Monroe) are way too smart to be fooled, and why bother warning anyone else, since if they fall for it it, they're idiots who deserve what they get.I kind of wish I hadn't posted it now. It's like when I used to post news stores about MA instructors arrested for sexually assaulting students. You can find a new story practically every single day in the news about it, but nobody from MT wants to talk about it. It just doesn't happen as far as most of y'all are concerned. Amazing.So OK, carry on. Y'all are geniuses, nobody ever gets fooled. I guess warning people is stupid, it's every man and woman for themselves.
I see at least two replies offering prayers and sympathy for the victim, and some redundant arguing about capitalization, in addition to the non sympathetic replies you are referring to.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You don't think buying a plane ticket and planning to train in a foreign country is a large enough investment to investigate first? I'm sorry if I seem to be/am blaming the victim. It is difficult to picture happening based on the little information the newspiece provide. I don't assume I'm smarter than the average joe. I just thought the average person would do some background checking before sinking that much money into something.

The average person is about as dumb as a post. Why do you think spam email gets sent out? Because people fall for it. I was trying to post a little PSA, but everyone's too smart for that, then nevermind. Y'all will do just fine I'm sure.

I haven't noticed news stories of MA instructors sexually assaulting students. That's unfortunate.

Happens more or less every single day somewhere in the English-speaking world.

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&h...nmeta_news_search=1&q=martial+arrested+sexual

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The average person is about as dumb as a post. Why do you think spam email gets sent out? Because people fall for it. I was trying to post a little PSA, but everyone's too smart for that, then nevermind. Y'all will do just fine I'm sure.

Happens more or less every single day somewhere in the English-speaking world.

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&h...nmeta_news_search=1&q=martial+arrested+sexual

People make mistakes. I guess this was a bit impulsive more than anything.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a horrible story, but it also doesn't make sense.

If she was asked to fly in to Iloilo...OK, plenty of martial arts in that region. But why was she found all the way up in Metro Manila? If here captors were done with here, then why not dump her right there? Or on another island in the region? How is it that people in the region were coming up with the equivalent of a month's salary to pay for the experience?

Then I found this article, which complicates the story further:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10752933

Ms Jones was taken in by a women's refuge centre and stayed at the Haven National Centre for Women before receiving help from the US Embassy to return to New Zealand.

The embassy confirmed that it had helped Ms Jones in the Philippines.

Immigration New Zealand's general manager (fraud and compliance), Peter Elms said Ms Jones was holding a British passport and the department helped with her re-entry into the country.

Ms Jones was born in the UK but moved to Auckland as a child and attended Avondale Intermediate and Avondale College.

She moved to the United States and worked in business management and computer technology in Alaska before her trip to the Philippines.

"Our role was to endorse her status as a New Zealand citizen in her British passport which entitles her to remain here indefinitely," Mr Elms said.

So she's a UK Citizen, that grew up in New Zealand, that was living and working in the USA before her trip to the Philippines. Then when she made her trip to the Philippines and went through her ordeal, she sought help from the American Embassy to return to New Zealand and citizenship/residency to live (and work) in New Zealand as long as she chooses?

If one had been based in Alaska for home and work, then why not return to Alaska? Why seek to go back to the country where you spent time as a kid?

Was there even a martial arts school? Or even a kidnapping? Or did someone seduce her in with the promise of excitement and romance and then con her out of her money and belongings?

Is this about martial arts, or even prostitution/trafficking/kidnapping? Or is it about citizenship, entry, and residency, and perhaps even getting state resources to finance one's travel after personal plans went awry?

Hmmm.....

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are issues with the story, absolutely. And I can't say how easily she was seduced; there could have been a very thorough package that would have fooled most of us. Or she could have been abducted independently of the martial arts trip. As to the passport/return issues -- it may be that she had to return via Britain to NZ because of the passport. One sad note... if she was only servicing 9 men a day -- she had it easy. I've investigated prostitution operations were the girls serviced 20 or more a day... and that's with "operating hours" between about 3 PM and 10 PM.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a horrible story, but it also doesn't make sense.

If she was asked to fly in to Iloilo...OK, plenty of martial arts in that region. But why was she found all the way up in Metro Manila? If here captors were done with here, then why not dump her right there? Or on another island in the region? How is it that people in the region were coming up with the equivalent of a month's salary to pay for the experience?

I never really thought about the Locales. But now you mention it...

Then I found this article, which complicates the story further:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10752933

So she's a UK Citizen, that grew up in New Zealand, that was living and working in the USA before her trip to the Philippines. Then when she made her trip to the Philippines and went through her ordeal, she sought help from the American Embassy to return to New Zealand and citizenship/residency to live (and work) in New Zealand as long as she chooses?

...What? (As in, I understand. But this certainly... Flavors the Waters.)

If one had been based in Alaska for home and work, then why not return to Alaska? Why seek to go back to the country where you spent time as a kid?

Furthermore, why not just go Home?

Was there even a martial arts school? Or even a kidnapping? Or did someone seduce her in with the promise of excitement and romance and then con her out of her money and belongings?

I really dont want to get started on this. Suffice to say, ive seen it happen to many times with both Sexes to contemplate Excluding it.

Is this about martial arts, or even prostitution/trafficking/kidnapping? Or is it about citizenship, entry, and residency, and perhaps even getting state resources to finance one's travel after personal plans went awry?

Hmmm.....

Well Spotted.
Very Well Spotted.
Unfortunately, the Inevitable Question is, could She have been there Consentually, then had things not go Her Way after a Few Months?
Or Perhaps she was Deceived.
Or Perhaps she was Dating someone, then got Angsty when they didnt fulfil Her Whims.

So many Possibilities now Open.

There are issues with the story, absolutely. And I can't say how easily she was seduced; there could have been a very thorough package that would have fooled most of us. Or she could have been abducted independently of the martial arts trip. As to the passport/return issues -- it may be that she had to return via Britain to NZ because of the passport. One sad note... if she was only servicing 9 men a day -- she had it easy. I've investigated prostitution operations were the girls serviced 20 or more a day... and that's with "operating hours" between about 3 PM and 10 PM.

And the other Possibility, as you said, is that the Kidnapping was Independant, and that she actually believes what shes saying, despite the Inconsistencies.

Latest Discussions