Warhammers and Maces

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could point me towards recourses about fighting with warhammers and maces. I'll be getting my warhammer today and should be receiving my mace in the next couple of weeks. I have lots of stuff already about western sword work, but am having trouble finding anything on these weapons.

Thanks,

Jeff

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not an expert in this field so I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but here goes.

These being western weapons(and very blunt ones at that), I don't think there are many/any styles oriented around these weapons. I think the wester approach to battle with warhammers and maces was along the lines of: "I'm going into battle, but i dont have a sword...I know! I'll grab the bashyest thing i can lift and hit someone with it! Its bound to work!"

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Whitebelt said:
I'm not an expert in this field so I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but here goes.

These being western weapons(and very blunt ones at that), I don't think there are many/any styles oriented around these weapons. I think the wester approach to battle with warhammers and maces was along the lines of: "I'm going into battle, but i dont have a sword...I know! I'll grab the bashyest thing i can lift and hit someone with it! Its bound to work!"

Not a flame, but the warhammer was a bit more complicated than that.

Jeff, Hans Talhoffer's 1467 manual was translated and published several years ago, the translation and editing was by Mark Rector. The warhammer section actually is more about the two-handed version probably better described as a poleaxe. Good stuff.

I am not as familiar with the Flos Duelletorum document by Liberi, but from the pictures it has a section on the warhammer/poleaxe such as:
http://www.thehaca.com/pdf/Dl27.jpg
http://www.thehaca.com/pdf/Dl26.jpg

I'm sure the complete edition has more and it may be available online somewhere.

Lamont

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Not a flame, but the warhammer was a bit more complicated than that.

Jeff, Hans Talhoffer's 1467 manual was translated and published several years ago, the translation and editing was by Mark Rector. The warhammer section actually is more about the two-handed version probably better described as a poleaxe. Good stuff.

I am not as familiar with the Flos Duelletorum document by Liberi, but from the pictures it has a section on the warhammer/poleaxe such as:
http://www.thehaca.com/pdf/Dl27.jpg
http://www.thehaca.com/pdf/Dl26.jpg

I'm sure the complete edition has more and it may be available online somewhere.

Lamont

So true - it was, IIRC, an actual military weapon. Thanks for the links.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, good stuff. Not exactly what I was looking for, but good stuff nonetheless.

Jeff

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
If you do find something, could you post it? I've had a one-handed warhammer sitting in my collection for years, mostly I just apply Kali applications to it, but I'd like something a bit more historical if it exists.

Lamont

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Will do. It seems everyone wants the sexy sword stuff though.

Jeff

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you do find something, could you post it? I've had a one-handed warhammer sitting in my collection for years, mostly I just apply Kali applications to it, but I'd like something a bit more historical if it exists.

Lamont

The very fact that they were called "warhammers" suggests an evolved technique to their use. Perhaps, as some suggested here, much of the historical information has been lost because it's not as popular as the sword?

Latest Discussions