Wanting to get into Muay thai but...

erock

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok so im 20 years old and Ive been thinking about getting into Muay Thai for a while now. I found 2 gyms in Houston using the national muay thai web page thingy. Just kinda worried about my hamstrings hurt them twice running track in highschool and they still give me crap sometimes. Was thinking about going to a doctor and seeing what he had to say about it before I did it. So does anyone know any good rehab I can do for my hamstrings until then?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
How did you hurt them specifically? Alot of athletes hurt their hamstrings due to an inmbalance between the strength of the quads and the hams. The hams can't stand the stress of rapidly decelerating or changing direction. It could also be due to a lack of flexibility and moving them in a motion they aren't ready for.

If the doctor clears you. I would try a stretching/strengthening program for them. Warm up the muscles and do some dynamic stretching (which would probably be part of your muay thai training) and some weight exercises like stiff legged dead lifts or leg curls to strengthen the muscle.

OP
E

erock

White Belt
Reaction score
Was running the 400 in highschool and hurt them sprinting. Dunno if it was from my quads being stronger than my hams (because they were) or because i just didnt stretch good enough. Ill take that advice been stretching two times a day and was thinking about doing lunges and some hamstring curls but I wasnt sure.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Definitely see a doctor before you do anything more with your legs, including starting a stretching or strengthening program.

You only get one body. Best to find out what the problem is now before it gets worse.

USP45CT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Like others have said I would get cleared by a doctor. I would just give it a shot though and take it slow and if your good then your good. Keep up on your stretching.

OP
E

erock

White Belt
Reaction score
They have started to feel better from the stretching. I think that if I start doing some lunges and leg curls with very low weight and then ride the bike at the gym it will help get rid of some of that scar tissue. But still want to get cleared by the doctor. Only a 20 dollar copay anyway

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Definitely with the Dr thing first and physio if required for rehab. Weight workouts can often aid in rehab but get pro advice on this and when starting any work on your hams take it real light and slow at first.

I blew a hammy ages back and even after I regained total flexibility and got my kicking range back it was a long time before I could stack up the weights on them!!