Wanna do an experiment...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to check something out.

Maybe some of you photographers out there can help me. I'd like you to take a picture of a round object, and a flat shape close in size. For example, take a picture of a ball, and a circle. Or a can and a rectangle similar in size. The trick? Light it so that they both look the same. Then don't tell me which is which, at first, and I'm going to see if I can tell... Others can "play" along, too, of course!

See, as a kid, I had trouble understanding 2D vs 3D, because I never really saw much difference except from perspective. I'm wondering whether I still do that -- and what the deal is/was.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is an interesting idea. I'll see if I can tell too. You should be better than me at this.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Usually the reason for this is because one eye is weaker than the other. It takes two eyes to genuinely see in 3D much like it takes two ears to genuinely hear in stereo.

As far as how the brain processes information, I think perspective is much more powerful than actual 3D.

Frankenstein Trestle by Sikaranista, on Flickr

I'll play around this weekend with 2D vs 3D objects, let me see what I can come up with :)

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know my vision is a bit weird. I'm very, very left eye dominant, despite being right handed. (In an odd coincidence, I discovered during pistol quals last night that most of my squad is that way...) My right eye is slightly below normal vision, but not worth correction. Don't know how long it's been that way. My vision was outside normal ranges most of my life. I got my first real eye exam after my dad was trying to show us how his astigmatism effected his vision, by reading a sign that was outside normal range, and I said "you mean the one that says..." Meanwhile, I used to be able to focus and read unassisted microprint like on some check signature lines and currency. Yeah... I probably should have had my vision checked more over the last several years -- but what was I gonna do, go in and say "Hey, doc, I can only see what I'm supposed to now..."

Like I said -- 3D movies and TV give me a headache -- if it works for me. A lot of the time, it doesn't or not any better than the old Viewmasters. Round doesn't look round -- things just look stuck out in front of each other, if that makes some sense. And most of those "stare through/past/unfocused" 3D pictures... they're just random patterns to me.

Latest Discussions