Walmart...

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I barely looked at it- didn't need to. My past experiences with the place has ruined me forever on that particular establishment:( .

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The movie .. Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices .. is set to be released on DVD and VHS the second week of November. It can be purchased from the site.

It is a polemic - Michael Moore - type movie against Wal-Mart, by Director Jeff Greenwald. You can search for local screenings across the country on the web page.

In the last couple of days, there was a screening in New York City. A Wal-Mart representative was arrested at this screening for attempting to record the movie on a picture phone (Piracy Violation).

Wal-Mart has launched an attack on Mr. Greenwald for making this film. Apparently, Wal-Mart did not like Mr. Greenwald's 1980 film "Xanadu" - (who knew Wal-Mart had good taste).

Prior movies by Greenwald include 'Outfoxed', a similar movie about the Fox News Channel, and their distortions.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
The movie .. Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices .. is set to be released on DVD and VHS the second week of November. It can be purchased from the site.

It is a polemic - Michael Moore - type movie against Wal-Mart, by Director Jeff Greenwald. You can search for local screenings across the country on the web page.

In the last couple of days, there was a screening in New York City. A Wal-Mart representative was arrested at this screening for attempting to record the movie on a picture phone (Piracy Violation).

Wal-Mart has launched an attack on Mr. Greenwald for making this film. Apparently, Wal-Mart did not like Mr. Greenwald's 1980 film "Xanadu" - (who knew Wal-Mart had good taste).

Prior movies by Greenwald include 'Outfoxed', a similar movie about the Fox News Channel, and their distortions.
Interesting.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is an interesting article on Walmart in an upcoming issue of 'The Nation'.

An interesting item on the first page.

Alice Walton gave money ($2,600,000.00) to Progress for America, a Republican Political Action Committee that supported the Swift Boat Veterans For Truth campaign, a campaing to denigrate Presidental Candidate and Vietnam Veteran John Kerry.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20051121/featherstone

In my home town, we are currently fighting against the behemouth. I live approximately 3 miles West of a Wal-Mart & Sam's Club. I also live about 8 miles East of a Super Wal-Mart. The Waltons want to put another Super Wal-Mart between these three stores, and right on top of a portion of the City's Water Supply System.

I am opposed to Wal-Mart, obviously.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
My experience (at least the last 2 years I worked), management liked running around yelling at the associates, and yet they themselves did nothing to help out once and a while.

C

CrankyDragon

From the trailer, I get the idea that WalMart is the evil of all evils. Is that true? I dont think so. Are they perfect? I dont think so. Show me a business thats perfect and Ill wash your windows.

Some of it appears to be reaching a bit far:

1) Anyone who claims to do something for there 'community' is normally screaming "look at me, Im an attention wh0re"
2) Let WalMart in Chicago, its likely the best paying jobs there. They pay at least minimum wages as set by the government, so whats the problem? Want better jobs? VoTech and continuining education.... I cant help it they dropped out of HS to sell crack or make babies.
3) Deadly polluntants in the water? This is WalMarts fault? And if its not, its there responsibility to fix it? Dont we have the EPA for this? (I know, they work for the people like the employment commision helps us find jobs).

Just casual observations, none intended to stir anger and flames, just observations.

Andrew

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I worked at Walmart once too. It was fine for me. They were good to me with regards to my family life. Good Management, good staff, hard work. I have no desire to work there anymore but it served its purpose for me at the time. I still shop there, still talk with a large portion of the staff, they were and still are great people. I think the staff and management have a lot to do with whether or not a place is a good or bad place to work. Large corporations are often looked down on because they make tons of money and no matter how much they give back to the community it probably isn't enough to satisfy some people. I do believe that Walmart probably has crushed some small businesses and I am not condoning that, I am just giving MVHO of my exeriences.

C

CrankyDragon

Lisa said:
Large corporations are often looked down on because they make tons of money and no matter how much they give back to the community it probably isn't enough to satisfy some people.
Microsoft.... comes to mind.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never shopped at Wal-Mart before moving to Indiana...but in the small town I'm in now, there really is little other choice.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
It isn't Wal- Mart as a whole corporation that gives them a bad name. It's some of the people in high positions in certain stores that leave a bad taste in my mouth. Would I say I'll never go back to working for any Wal- Mart store? No, I'm willing. Just not the one I left.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I never shopped at Wal-Mart before moving to Indiana...but in the small town I'm in now, there really is little other choice.

And in the town you moved from, there will be little choice after Wal-Mart moves in.

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't really get to look at it but I can tell you from experence that walmart is the DEVIL! lol naw its okay to shop there but I would not recemend that anybody work there

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I Agree with TKD GIRL I will never go back to work for wal-mart no matter what. and yes it is the higher up management that give wal-mart a bad name

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Today is the premier. Free screenings are being held all around the country. Check www.walmartmovie.com for a showing new you.

Locally, in addition to 'The High Cost of Low Prices', they are screening Wal-Mart's film 'Why Wal-Mart works and why that makes some people C-R-A-Z-Y'.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have anything against Wally-world, but I will say that I'd rather support local, independant "Mom & Pop" type stores more....even if it costs just a bit more.
Just my .02

Your Brother
John

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
An interesting statistic from the movie.

Right now, there are over 26,000,000 square feet of abandoned Wal-Mart retail space in the United States.

As mentioned earlier, I live 4 miles away from a Wal-Mart & Sam's club in Hudson, NH. I also live 11 miels away from a Wal-Mart Supercenter in Amherst, NH.

They are propsing to build a new Wal-Mart between these two facilities. I think this proposed location begs the question, which of these stores will end up closing with the new square-footage in Nashua.

The movie hits at the reason for all this abandoned space is that the initial tax breaks negotiated in some towns were set to expire, so Wal-Mart moves its shop to a new district. In once case, 2.2 miles away, so as not to pay municipality taxes.

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not a fan of wal-mart either....prices speak to people though...they don't care if the vendors get hurt....walmart has preasured so many of its vendors. Sometimes they pressure them so much that the company loses a lot of profit.....they now dictate their prices....they severely undercut what they pay....and you know what not that much of the savings is passed to the customer. Look at prices of many things....19.99 somewhere....19.96 at walmart....286 billion in sales but they can't afford to raise their wages or health insurance.

Latest Discussions