Wake Up!

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know im new to this forum but couldnt it get a little more lively? I love discussing martial arts but it helps if people post.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, do you have somethign to ask? or even to offer?

Pick a subject and post on it, and see if people reply. You would be helping us out, as well as learning and or informing. :D

Rich Parsons
Assistant Administrator

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The WC forum is one of our quieter ones. We have a few regulars, and I'm slowly getting into WC. The closest school is about an hour away from me, which is the holdup on my training at the moment.

If you could, take a look at what we have and see if you can kick something back up. We had some lively discussion recently, but I think the couple of us that were participating just ran outta things to say. A fresh perspective might reenergize things. :)

I've seen a number of kung fu and wing chun folks sign up recently, so we know your out there. :) Take a moment and introduce yourselfs. :)

:asian:

OP
S

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
OP
S

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
The WC forum is one of our quieter ones.

I see that, thats why im trying to wake people up :D. Im defiantely not trying to be a dick I just have a couple forums that i scroll through a couple of times a day and i was just trying to inspire some discussion. Also i have sent a link from this site to some friends and i hope they will get interested in it.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Definately cool! :) I for one, would love to see this forum as lively as the general or kenpo areas. :)

L

limubai2000

I am awake and it's 2am Guam time. :idunno:

Anyway I already posted 2 times but here goes the intro.

My real name is Paul. Hi guys!

I study Traditional Wing Chun under Sifu Mark Pachowski in here in Guam, USA. I've been studying diligently for 6 months and love almost every minute of it (the first few weeks nearly killed me). Anyway I'm hoping to engage in some great conversations here with you folks after a bad encounter on another WC forum.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How about leting us know what your begining classes consisted of. I have no idea what may go on in your school and would be interested in hearing what a beginer in wing chun goes through.

L

limubai2000

Well for starters we go through 20 mins of streching and exercises to really loosen us up followed by a 1 min water break.

On our Wed class we concentrate on kicks so we do some extra leg streches either on the floor utilizing a partner or against the wall with or without a partner. We also use chairs and go through some kicks under, middle and over the chair, front and side kicks. Then we go into kick/punch combos against each other. We mix partners which I think our Sifu does to vary speed, height, and arm reach.

On our Sat class we mostly focus on punches and blocks (although he does throw some kicks in sometimes). We almost always start with a pak sao block drill with a partner (again switching partners often). We move into punch/block combos.

We almost always practice against each other or the Sifu or co-instructor who is black sash. We utilize the bag or hand pads to develop power and focus. We always end the session with 10 minutes or more of form, with one of the instructors correcting us and adding 1 or 2 movements each week. After 6 months I am almost at the end of the first form. Before partnering up and after water breaks (our school does not have AC) we line up in my favorite horse stance and are corrected or fixed in stance and we might go through a few moves as a whole class before being broken into partners or smaller groups to work through a combo under the Sifu or Siheng's watchful eyes.

Our Sifu does vary our teaching according to who shows up to class as sometimes we have low attendance for 1 reason or another (is this normal?)
so in some areas I think I might be more "advanced" but "normal" in other areas. I actually think I like doing the forms when tired because it forces my focus to the movements even if my body is exhausted.

When I first started most of focus for the first 2 months was the horse stance, fighting stances, punching properly, roll punch, pak sao, larp sao, and the first moves of the basic form. I spent a long time on those over and over and over again. But I feel that it really helped as now I rattle off a roll punch of 5 very good punches without a single thought and I pak sao nearly as a reflex reaction. I was prepared for this as I had read about beginning Wing Chun here on the web so I was not as dismayed by it as I've seen the newer students get sometimes.

I really enjoy my classes and our Sifu and Siheng are very approachable and friendly (we have the odd BBQ with or without other martial arts classes that share our academy space). Had I known that I would have this much fun in a class of this nature I would have pursued a kung fu style much earlier in life (I'm 33 now). We address each other by first name except for Sifu and we always end class by clasping each forearm of the other students. Our class size is small mostly numbering less than 10 so I feel that I get alot of quality 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 quality time with the Sifu.

I'm curious to know what other folks go through in a class.

Please forgive any spelling errors.

Latest Discussions