Virtual Strip Search Machines

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-05-15-airport-xray-bottomstrip_x.htm

Air travelers stripped bare with X-ray machine

By Thomas Frank, USA TODAY

The agency in charge of the nation's air security expects later this year to begin using a controversial X-ray machine that will show airport screeners a clear picture of what's under passengers' clothes — whether weapons or just bare skin.
clear.gif
xrays-inside.jpg
clear.gif
The new system makes it easy to see possibly dangerous devices.
clear.gif
Rapiscan Systems

Screeners plan to test the "backscatter" machines at several U.S. airports, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) says. The refrigerator-sized machines are considered a breakthrough in scanning technology but have been labeled "a virtual strip search" by the American Civil Liberties Union. (Related story: Airports test 'futureworld' devices)

Security workers using the machines can see through clothes and peer at whatever may be hidden in undergarments, shirts or pants. The images also paint a revealing picture of a person's nude body.

Is this an invasion of privacy or something that we all just need to put up with in order to be more safe?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What about the issue of radiation pollution? How often some people air travel makes that a viable issue.
Also, just my first response would be a huge violation of privacy.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have to agree with 7starmantis about the invasion of privacy issue. That and it would get old real fast if every time I flew someplace I had to run away from all the female security guards wanting my phone number. :)

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who would have thought that 5 years down the road we all would still be blinded by our fears? I am so sick of hearing about terrorism, and how it can happen again at any time yadda yadda yadda. It's always been a threat, the only difference now is that the government and the media have kept the masses in a frenzy over it. Granted before 9-11 there were some definate security issues, which I feel have been corrected. How far will this go? To what end? The events of 9-11 has destroyed more than the buildings and lives that day, it's destroying our very concept of freedom and contiunes to do so.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd be tempted to strip naked and walk through the machine. Really tempted...

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What about the issue of radiation pollution? How often some people air travel makes that a viable issue.

I agree. It absolutely creeps me out.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Who would have thought that 5 years down the road we all would still be blinded by our fears? I am so sick of hearing about terrorism, and how it can happen again at any time yadda yadda yadda. It's always been a threat, the only difference now is that the government and the media have kept the masses in a frenzy over it. Granted before 9-11 there were some definate security issues, which I feel have been corrected. How far will this go? To what end? The events of 9-11 has destroyed more than the buildings and lives that day, it's destroying our very concept of freedom and contiunes to do so.
That's the problem with terrorism... they don't adhere to any set time schedule and thus we don't know when they may go into action. In Bagdad yeah they expect it every five minutes or so but here in the U.S. (or even London) we just don't have any idea.
Yes, the new machine does strip us of what's under our clothes, though I bet the screeners are hoping for the day Jessica Alba comes walking through their airport :)rolleyes: ) it's still an invasion of her and our personal space.
But what can we do? Seems that metal detectors, portals and hand-held ones, aren't enough.
It may seem a inconvience to have to go through it all but isn't it better sitting on the plane with a 10% chance that they might have missed something than a 80% chance? (ya being mildly sarcastic here... of them not you).

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's the problem with terrorism... they don't adhere to any set time schedule and thus we don't know when they may go into action. In Bagdad yeah they expect it every five minutes or so but here in the U.S. (or even London) we just don't have any idea.
Yes, the new machine does strip us of what's under our clothes, though I bet the screeners are hoping for the day Jessica Alba comes walking through their airport :)rolleyes: ) it's still an invasion of her and our personal space.
But what can we do? Seems that metal detectors, portals and hand-held ones, aren't enough.
It may seem a inconvience to have to go through it all but isn't it better sitting on the plane with a 10% chance that they might have missed something than a 80% chance? (ya being mildly sarcastic here... of them not you).

I don't disagree on any particular point, especially when it comes to safety. We all agree to a certain amount of loss of privacy just stepping out of our home. It's not so much the invasion of privacy I have an issue with, because frankly if you dont want to be put through that... dont fly. It's just the general public blindly believing this or that new security measure will keep them safe without even so much as a second thought to the little details of things. We are a country of well educated people (granted education isnt the same as intellegence :wink: ) people need to stop and think for themselves.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
While I kind of agree, flying is a private enterprise (minus the federal screeners) and optional, you are not "forced" to go through the machine, you could refuse and just leave the airport, so the only recourse is to not fly. Unfair? maybe but thats the nuts and bolts of it.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Privacy, radiation exposure...yeah, I have some serious concerns here.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I kind of agree, flying is a private enterprise (minus the federal screeners) and optional, you are not "forced" to go through the machine, you could refuse and just leave the airport, so the only recourse is to not fly. Unfair? maybe but thats the nuts and bolts of it.

It's not that simple. Flight is intertwined with modern business operations, and web meetings can't replace business travel yet. Conferences, sales meetings, training, inspections and repairs, interviews, and so on...it's important to business, including the tourism business (hello Hawaii), that flying be a reasonably friendly affair. I'm not even referring to the fact that corporations will insist their employees fly for business or quit--I'm referring to the fact that the business of America is business, and an attitude such as you espouse isn't consistent with an efficient corporate world.

It's more complicated than it seems.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nonetheless, flying is a privilege (you can go ony if you can afford it) and not a "right". So I can see them putting restrictions on it. If ya dont like it charter your own plane, take a boat or drive.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nonetheless, flying is a privilege (you can go ony if you can afford it) and not a "right". So I can see them putting restrictions on it. If ya dont like it charter your own plane, take a boat or drive.
Sometimes you don't have a choice, how do you weigh keeping your job versus not having people you have no respect for seeing you "naked". The easy answer is find another job, but why should I have to give up my dreams because the people in charge pervert their power and don't even have the decency to hire people who aren't criminals or security risks themselves all in the name of keeping us "safe"

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There were threads started about these MONTHS ago.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There were threads started about these MONTHS ago.​

True. However, these machines just recently were portrayed in an hour long news program that I just happened to catch. So, here ya go...

Anyway, I wonder just how much the radiation from these things can affect your body? If it can penetrate your clothing but not your skin, perhaps you'd be safe? Otherwise people who would have to fly alot would really be putting themselves at risk...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True. However, these machines just recently were portrayed in an hour long news program that I just happened to catch. So, here ya go...

Anyway, I wonder just how much the radiation from these things can affect your body? If it can penetrate your clothing but not your skin, perhaps you'd be safe? Otherwise people who would have to fly alot would really be putting themselves at risk...

I dont know anything about the actual operation of these, but IF they function on the same priciple as the
"faulty" camcorders that could see thru clothing that Sony released in the late 90's, I dont think radiation is much of an issue. Privacy? Well, yeah.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Radiation pollution is real regardless of how well it performs its "expected" duty. I haven't really researched these machines but the term x-ray was used which may have not been specifically "x-rays" but radiation is radiation regardless of how well it allows us to peep under skirts. Probably more of a danger to the people who work the machines though.

I'm not sure how I really feel on the privacy issue, I can see both sides of it.

Latest Discussions