Virtual Gym Class

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For many, gym class means dodging locker room bullies, donning a uniform and ducking under high flying volleyballs. For Abbie Modaff, it means horseback riding and logging onto the Internet.

As a freshman at South High School in Minneapolis, Abbie's class schedule only had room for one elective class. A flute player, she wanted to take band, but she also had a physical education requirement to fulfill. The problem was solved when she discovered "online gym" — a way for her to work out on her own time, fulfill the physical education requirement and continue playing the flute.
FULL STORY

I find this article intriguing and wonder if this isn't the wave of the future. It seems to be successful and the students seem to have a whole new attitude toward gym class and physical activity.

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think this looks like a really good idea, and should create good habits for the students in the future
Aqua

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sad that it's come to that. Although, if you want to think of high school as preperation for life this is certainly a good program in that sense. Think of your "boss-employee" relationships or how many people have personal trainers (a nearly identicla situation).

It is good to hear the program is thriving somewhat as I remember hearing it early on (I'm from the area).

I wonder what young Joshua's hip issue is.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that this approach is much more benificial to the students. They are learning about fitness, which was never taught in my gym classes. If anything standard gym classes should contain some of this cirriculum.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
dubljay said:
I think that this approach is much more benificial to the students. They are learning about fitness, which was never taught in my gym classes. If anything standard gym classes should contain some of this cirriculum.

Agreed...to an extent. Gym classes are worthless because the people in charge of them make them that way. The teachers are unqualified and ill-equipped. Change that, change the classes and their outcomes. Not terribly easy but the solution.

I've never been in a traditional "gym class" that was worth the time. Only things taught were rules of silly games (not to discount the importance of that) instead of learning about ones body and it's maintenance. Also, several of my gym teachers were fat disgusting slobs.

Would you hire a math teacher that could not do math?!

Many of the same standards that other areas (math, biology, etc.) do not and have not applied to physical education.

Little Jimmy could do trigonometry but developed diabetes in his 30's and had a fatal heart attack at 46.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love the theory and approach behind it. In my daughter's school Phys. Ed. is mandatory until Grade 10. This sort of course that can be completed outside the regular cirriculum would probably appeal to a lot of kids. Do some exercise (like MA for instance) keep a journal, follow the assignments and get credit for it. It is intriguing to the students, keeps their interest and rewards them for it.

Latest Discussions