Very Long trips on foot

HebrewCossack

White Belt
Reaction score
I am planning a 223 mile trip on foot from Anchorage to Homer and would like some input. What is the longest trip of this sort you all have done?

The_Fish

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow, that is some serious distance. Good luck, and let us know how things are going/have gone.

Longest walk I've done is 25 miles on hilly/mountainous terrain, the trail covering Scafell Pike, the highest mountain in England (which admittedly, is only about 3,000 - 3,500 feet) - this included about 30 minutes of canoeing over a lake too, so it wasn't all walked. Obviously, there were rest stops too. I'm not particularly in peak shape (I am slim and puny, and I live on junk food) so it was a real challenge for me. I have a great respect for people who push themselves with much bigger feats like the one you have planned. Again, best of luck!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've backpacked 100 miles of the Superior Hiking Trail. That's my longest. What trail are you doing?

OP
HebrewCossack

HebrewCossack

White Belt
Reaction score
It is not a trail. I am just walking from Anchorage to Homer. I am going to follow the Seward Highway until it connects with the Sterling Highway and then I am going to just follow it south.

I am going to start conditioning for the trip soon.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Holy Crap! Nothing ever close to that! Good luck to you.

That's what I was thinking!

I looked it up on Google Maps and it looks like you will have a little bit of everything, terrain wise. It also looks like it will be a very scenic trip.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...382,-149.117432&spn=3.441788,9.777832&t=p&z=7

I think 15 miles was my longest hike (road march) and that goes back to Army basic training.

A couple times in the last couple years I've rode 50 miles in a day on my bike, but I haven't done anything yet that compares to your plans.

Have fun!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
nothing close to what your doing.

A few 50 mile walks to a town down the road (when I was younger) and 75 mile hike to class when I could not catch a ride ( yes I put my thumb out in those days)
Nowadays its across the street to get food. ( I walk enough all night at work)

Latest Discussions