Valentines Day gifts that don't suck.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing what Valentine's day gifts you have received that didn't suck. Hopefully I will get a good idea of what to get for my man this year.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lingerie for you (and a nice follow through) is a great Valentine's present for most guys :)

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a really (in?)appropriate joke that could be made here, based on your post... with more than a kernel of truth in it :)

Other than that, I wouldn't really know. We usually buy each other something small and sweet (as in 'hallmark'esque). Valentine is not really a special date for big gifts for us.
I can't speak for the entire male species, but wearing something sexy and following through is usually a safe bet for making a man happy.

EDIT: Interesting that another exhibit of the male species said something very similar while I was writing this.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
005j.jpg

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lingerie for you (and a nice follow through) is a great Valentine's present for most guys :)

She said 'that don't suck'

(I have to say she did open herself up for this one...)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A good bud at work came up to me and asked for a Valentine's gift idea for his date...he just started dating this particular girl and likes her a lot. He wants to get her something kind of nice but doesn't want to overwhelm her.

I'm pretty bad with this kind of stuff so I told him I thought chocolate would work. Anyone have other ideas?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
My wife likes flowers. Flowers are safe. It's best to select the flowers yourself and not pick the default dozen of roses. Chocolates would be good too.

I once gave my wife (then girlfriend) a small heart for her necklace. And I had bought one of those 'hall mark' teddy bears to hold the little box that contained the heart. I do remember not having any wrapping paper left so I put it in a cooking pot with a lid on and gave it to her as a gift. That way it was still a surprise :)

My experience with girlfriends is very limited (I married her) so I am far from an expert. I usually try for the cute, romantic, endearing apporach but of coarse that won't work with all women. It doesn't have to be expensive. It just has to show that you put thought into it.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
if flowers are just the plant's reproductive organs, what does it mean when your significant other gives you some?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Been reading a book lately by Gary Chapman called "The Five Love Languages"... which basically teaches how to read your significant other's "Love Language" as each of us have a different way of viewing how love is expressed to us.
They are as follows

Words of Affirmation -- saying kind things including ILY and etc.

Quality Time -- spending time together like you did when you were dating in the beginning.

Receiving Gifts -- (speaks for itself) flowers, little nick-knacks, etc. etc. on a weekly or monthly or whenever basis.

Acts of Service -- as simple as taking out the garbage or doing the dishes, washing the car, to painting that bedroom like you promised 8-9 months ago

Physical Touch -- not just sexual but tender caresses or even a 1/2 hug that speaks without words.

Lingerie IS a nice gift from her to him... but to really make it count... go to the Victoria Secrets or Fredricks or where-ever WITH him and let HIM pick out what he wants to see you in. That way you'll wear it because HE wants you to wear it and thinks you look sexy in it... not what YOU think he might think is sexy... the results might surprise both of you.
Besides whats more sexier *AHEM* I mean romantic than buying sexy lingerie TOGETHER? :inlove:
jes a thawt.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hopefully I must be doing something right as it seems I speak all five of those languages - at least, I presume that is a good thing?

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A good bud at work came up to me and asked for a Valentine's gift idea for his date...he just started dating this particular girl and likes her a lot. He wants to get her something kind of nice but doesn't want to overwhelm her.

I'm pretty bad with this kind of stuff so I told him I thought chocolate would work. Anyone have other ideas?

Chocolate dipped strawberries and a fresh bouquet of flowers. Never met a girl that didn't love to get either (unless allergic to strawberries of course, in which case, bad choice!)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
And send him flowers at work the next day, soeveryone thinks he did a good job...

Now that I'm not on the 'droid, I can clarify: the first time a woman sent me flowers, it was a little odd at first, but those are the sorts of comments I got from coworkers all day and well into the next, including more than a few inquiries from women at work as to what I'd done to deserve such a gift.

Surprised I got out the door of my office at the end of the day: my head was sooooo big!

Big ego boost.....of course, it wasn't the day after Valentine's or some such, but still........

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your gonna get a guy a give that he'll like that isn't very romantic, get electronics. No guy I know dislikes getting an electronic gadget of some sort :)

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Careful with strawberries.
Some people are allergic to them. Me, for example.
I refuse to eat anything that has red fruit in it, because from time to time, some joker mixes in some strawberries among the rest of the fruit. For the added flavor, or some drivel like that.

Eating strawberries (either as is, or inconspicuously mixed in something) would royally **** up my day.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Careful with strawberries.
Some people are allergic to them. Me, for example.
I refuse to eat anything that has red fruit in it, because from time to time, some joker mixes in some strawberries among the rest of the fruit. For the added flavor, or some drivel like that.

Eating strawberries (either as is, or inconspicuously mixed in something) would royally **** up my day.

:(

That sucks. Even more than getting a valentine's day gift that sucks.

I know what food allergies/intolerances are like, cause i have a bunch of them.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It really doesn’t matter what you give or get, as long as you put serious thought into it.

Buying a gift from the gas station the evening before is not going to make you look good in anyone’s eyes.

Latest Discussions