USJA rules on Matthew Morton

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well he can start his own style, but seeing as he isnt qualified too, that would probably make life harder. Matt Morton supplied his certs, they where forged. If you pass yourself off with false rank, odds are your going to get caught eventually. If you make up your own style to justify false rank, well your even worse in my opinion.
I agree with you. But. One only has to look at the cases of Tom Carnes and Soke Calkins to see what having unverifiable and fake creds can do. Carnes got hammered by the FMA and JKD community yet still is out teaching seminars, and Calkins got hammered for all his creds, yet continues to teach, referee and grow his schools. (threads on both in horror stories and great debate areas here)

I've been in enough schools when prospects walked in to know that almost nobody asks to see the certs, or asks lineage questions.

Worst case for Morton, he sends $400 and a vhs tape to some po box in Florida, gets back a shiny ring and is now a Soke of Morton-Ryu Judo. Instant cred.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

Wanted to chime in on this as I have been on the receiving end of some of Mr. Morton's misconceptions of the martial art I teach.

As of today, November 14, 2009, all his websites are still active - and still advertise him as the Judo teacher for the Moo Sul Kwan - now, for those that might not know, Morton's father is a high ranking member of this organization - YET they have taken no action, and allowed him to create websites using their name and his dubious credentials.

Why have they done nothing about this now? To me, it screams that the entire organization is questionable - or they would have acted - there are other members of this group here and elsewhere - they must have found this mess distasteful enough to have the higher ups know - but it does not seem that happened...

Frankly what annoys me most is the fact that Morton garnered sympathy from members of this forum for his "injuries" while lying to them the whole time...

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know if the whole mess makes me angry or sad. I find the lack of integrity to be appalling. It saddens me greatly that people think they are somehow unworthy of respect and admirration if they don't achieve 'superstar' status at something, anything.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello all,

Wanted to chime in on this as I have been on the receiving end of some of Mr. Morton's misconceptions of the martial art I teach.

As of today, November 14, 2009, all his websites are still active - and still advertise him as the Judo teacher for the Moo Sul Kwan - now, for those that might not know, Morton's father is a high ranking member of this organization - YET they have taken no action, and allowed him to create websites using their name and his dubious credentials.

Why have they done nothing about this now? To me, it screams that the entire organization is questionable - or they would have acted - there are other members of this group here and elsewhere - they must have found this mess distasteful enough to have the higher ups know - but it does not seem that happened...

Frankly what annoys me most is the fact that Morton garnered sympathy from members of this forum for his "injuries" while lying to them the whole time...

I hope, Kevin, that your children (if you have some or ever in the future do have some) never do something as embarrassing as this must be for my instructor, Mike Morton.

My instructor IS the most respected hapkido instructor within MSK and in the region, but he is not "a high ranking member of this organization" in the sense that he has decision-making responsibilities for the organization.

Matt Morton is not instructed by his father and does not attend our classes.

Out of respect for my instructor, I am refusing to offer public comment on this issue.

As for your comment that "the entire organization is questionable" I would very much like for you to explain what you mean.

What is it, exactly, that you are questioning about MSK other than the organization's apparent inability to edit Web sites in a timely manner?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate to add fuel to this fire, but in reality, I'm merely pointing out where Matt has started a new fire. In August, Matt told me he tested for 2nd Dan TKD under the USNTF. At the same time he claimed on Bullshido that he was a 1st or 2nd gup TKD. Today, I saw this on TKDSpace posted by Matt.

Wow,
I was quite pleased with the outcome of my hard work. On March 8 I took my 3rd dan test. This past Saturday, the 27th I was awarded my 3rd Dan Certificate. I tested with GM Tim Smith of the World Chang Moo Kwan and the United States National Tae Kwon Do Federation.

It seems like more of the same from Matt.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I hate to add fuel to this fire, but in reality, I'm merely pointing out where Matt has started a new fire. In August, Matt told me he tested for 2nd Dan TKD under the USNTF. At the same time he claimed on Bullshido that he was a 1st or 2nd gup TKD. Today, I saw this on TKDSpace posted by Matt.

Wow,
I was quite pleased with the outcome of my hard work. On March 8 I took my 3rd dan test. This past Saturday, the 27th I was awarded my 3rd Dan Certificate. I tested with GM Tim Smith of the World Chang Moo Kwan and the United States National Tae Kwon Do Federation.

It seems like more of the same from Matt.

Hmmmmmmm.... I wonder if GM Kwon is aware.... If he really wants to earn his stripes, he would go to the National BB testing in July, during the tournament and test infront of the KKW and other GMs.

Also, I wonder if GM Smith gave him a school cert or a USNTF cert... We know it wasnt a KKW. GM Kwon wont promote anyone from 0 to 3rd Dan. He still has integrity.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmm.... I wonder if GM Kwon is aware.... If he really wants to earn his stripes, he would go to the National BB testing in July, during the tournament and test infront of the KKW and other GMs.

Also, I wonder if GM Smith gave him a school cert or a USNTF cert... We know it wasnt a KKW. GM Kwon wont promote anyone from 0 to 3rd Dan. He still has integrity.

I'm trying to get ahold of GM Smith to see if a test actually occurred. I doubt GM Smith would test him for 2nd & 3rd within the same year. I'm thinkin'.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why can't he just buy himself a sokeship like everyone else already, sheesh.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I do not know much about Judo or Mat Morton; who is he and what all has he said he is (capable of)?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm trying to get ahold of GM Smith to see if a test actually occurred. I doubt GM Smith would test him for 2nd & 3rd within the same year. I'm thinkin'.
I am sincerely hoping that an actual test took place and that this is legit, as odd as it would be to test for second and third within a one year period. I would like to see Matt be able to learn from his mistakes, rebuild his reputation, and make a fresh start.

Daniel

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would like to see Matt be able to learn from his mistakes, rebuild his reputation, and make a fresh start.

Daniel

I bet that is something that would make Matt's father, Coach Tripp, Sensei Ohlenkamp, and many people very happy.

Matt has to fix Matt first before that can happen. It does not look like that is happening anytime soon, sadly.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know Matt's dad, but I can't imagine this kind of thing bringing a father pleasure.

Matt does indeed need to get some help. I sincerely hope that he does.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matt is a nice enough guy, but he needs to be in counseling and he needs to apologies to alot of people.

Latest Discussions