USAT U.S. Open numbera

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As of today January 7 these are the numbers for the US Open, it seem kinda small but we still have a month I guess before people need to be on the radar.

Early numbers -
US Open Poomsae Event - individual competitors - 23 total
US Open - 69 men
US Open - 39 women

Last Updated (Friday, 07 January 2011)

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
its still early, most wait til the last minute.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i wish they'd hold one of these things in Louisville, I'd drive up to meet some people at least.

texkwondo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I get the impression you are posting this as a way of taking a shot at the USAT and mock their current low registration number for the US Open. Ughhh, this is the type of stuff I am talking about. You guys are looking for any chance you can to take shots at people and organizations you don't like. If you haven't noticed, this is how registration looks every single year. Half a dozen people for months, and then in the last two weeks hundreds of people all sign up at once.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I get the impression you are posting this as a way of taking a shot at the USAT and mock their current low registration number for the US Open. Ughhh, this is the type of stuff I am talking about. You guys are looking for any chance you can to take shots at people and organizations you don't like. If you haven't noticed, this is how registration looks every single year. Half a dozen people for months, and then in the last two weeks hundreds of people all sign up at once.

Are you going? Many of us will be there! Are your buddies going to fight? I hope the Lopez Clan will man up and get in the ring! Mark gets a pass he just fought

We hope it brings big numbers looking for strong competition'!!!!

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

First off we are going to be there with our team, so this is not a shot at USAT. Whether Ilike them or not they are the only game for certain possible players, like I said we still have about a month for alot of people to sign up. If USAT did not want number publish they would not make it so people would know. Maybe instead of looking at what might be a negative thing, look at it as a way to get people thinking about the Austin US Open. More people would go if it was back in Vegas and that is a simple fact.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you going? Many of us will be there! Are your buddies going to fight? I hope the Lopez Clan will man up and get in the ring! Mark gets a pass he just fought

She will be there doing sport poomsae I am sure, as you know we will be there. Just making people a ware of getting there info in on time. Hoping for some great matches a s well.

texkwondo

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Lopez's aint my buddies dude. Is your hero Cook going to be there? Or is he taking a break after his loss a few weeks back?

texkwondo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
First off we are going to be there with our team, so this is not a shot at USAT. Whether Ilike them or not they are the only game for certain possible players, like I said we still have about a month for alot of people to sign up. If USAT did not want number publish they would not make it so people would know. Maybe instead of looking at what might be a negative thing, look at it as a way to get people thinking about the Austin US Open. More people would go if it was back in Vegas and that is a simple fact.

Sorry, I just don't know why you would bother starting this topic unless it was to take a swing at the USAT. I don't care much for either the USAT or AAU, or how they run their events, but mocking their low registration numbers a month out is just silly.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry, I just don't know why you would bother starting this topic unless it was to take a swing at the USAT. I don't care much for either the USAT or AAU, or how they run their events, but mocking their low registration numbers a month out is just silly.

Hopefully to get people to say lets go, we would like to have alot in divisions. It is OK sometimes people cannot see that people are trying to be positive once in a while.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lopez's aint my buddies dude. Is your hero Cook going to be there? Or is he taking a break after his loss a few weeks back?

Losses are learning opportunities. I am sure that he will stay in Europe because he knows that the chances of Steven fighting are slim. Three is No shame in losing. Not fighting in your own National Open is pretty shameful.

You say that you are not a Lopez crony but your words tell a different story!!!

Fiight Steven we would Love to see it!

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Can you answer the original question he asked? Are you going?

Real quick...when was the last Lopez fight?

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Steven, Mark and D. Lopez most recently fought in November! Olympic Team Trials!

D. Lopez fought at last years US Open...She fought allot last year she gets a pass!

Mark just fought last weekend and in all fairness I would not expect him to fight @ the US Open!

Steve should fight at the US Open it is a great Tune Up! See quote below David Askinas is asking!!!! I think the the Lopez's are part of the US Team should they not set the example for all the other countries to follow!

"In this very full competition year we ask all nations to utilize the U.S. Open as their warm-up or training event for the upcoming World Championships, World Olympic Qualification, or Pan Am Games." David Askinas, CEO, USA Taekwondo

texkwondo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Steven, Mark and D. Lopez most recently fought in November! Olympic Team Trials!

D. Lopez fought at last years US Open...She fought allot last year she gets a pass!

Mark just fought last weekend and in all fairness I would not expect him to fight @ the US Open!

Steve should fight at the US Open it is a great Tune Up! See quote below David Askinas is asking!!!! I think the the Lopez's are part of the US Team should they not set the example for all the other countries to follow!

"In this very full competition year we ask all nations to utilize the U.S. Open as their warm-up or training event for the upcoming World Championships, World Olympic Qualification, or Pan Am Games." David Askinas, CEO, USA Taekwondo

Why are you so obsessed with hating on the Lopez guys? I am still convinced it is from a deep rooted sense of envy and jealousy. You just can't stand it that Lopez is regarded so highly and you are looking for any nitpick to criticize him. Its one thing to have some substantive criticisms of his technique and the such, but your criticism are ridiculous. I have heard it all before. Started in 2000. The general sense was, "how dare he beat the ultimate super Koreans?" Then he wins again. Then the criticism on the leg block started. Funny how the topic never came up until Lopez used it all the time. The girl who was recently disqualified unjustly for her foot gear should have been disqualified on penalties anyway from her repeated leg blocks. Yet nobody mentions that part. So after they make the leg blocks illegal, everyone says, " AH HA! Lets see him win now!" Guess what, he does it again. Next is bias judging. The judges must just have it set for him to win. We will see what happens when they have the electronic scoring. Guess what, he wins again.

Now that you have run out of ways to criticize, you start in on this nonsensical tangent that he just doesn't compete at every single tournament he could. Whaaaaat?

To knock the guy and his family for being jerks and a-holes is one thing that I would completely agree on. To say that they use cronyism to siphon off funds from the USAT and get favors, that's obvious as well. But to knock them for their talent level is completely absurd. And to knock them for not competing as much as you would like them to, I don't even know where you are going with that one.

Seriously man. When Lopez got KOd by Cook, I imagine you were probably giggling like a school girl, running around the room screaming and pumping your arms, and having micro explosions in your pants. What the heck man?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why are you so obsessed with hating on the Lopez guys? I am still convinced it is from a deep rooted sense of envy and jealousy. You just can't stand it that Lopez is regarded so highly and you are looking for any nitpick to criticize him. Its one thing to have some substantive criticisms of his technique and the such, but your criticism are ridiculous. I have heard it all before. Started in 2000. The general sense was, "how dare he beat the ultimate super Koreans?" Then he wins again. Then the criticism on the leg block started. Funny how the topic never came up until Lopez used it all the time. The girl who was recently disqualified unjustly for her foot gear should have been disqualified on penalties anyway from her repeated leg blocks. Yet nobody mentions that part. So after they make the leg blocks illegal, everyone says, " AH HA! Lets see him win now!" Guess what, he does it again. Next is bias judging. The judges must just have it set for him to win. We will see what happens when they have the electronic scoring. Guess what, he wins again.

Now that you have run out of ways to criticize, you start in on this nonsensical tangent that he just doesn't compete at every single tournament he could. Whaaaaat?

To knock the guy and his family for being jerks and a-holes is one thing that I would completely agree on. To say that they use cronyism to siphon off funds from the USAT and get favors, that's obvious as well. But to knock them for their talent level is completely absurd. And to knock them for not competing as much as you would like them to, I don't even know where you are going with that one.

Seriously man. When Lopez got KOd by Cook, I imagine you were probably giggling like a school girl, running around the room screaming and pumping your arms, and having micro explosions in your pants. What the heck man?

That's nice...now can you answer the simple question he asked? Are you going to be there?

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I think that Steven Lopez is a great fighter. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HIM FIGHT AT THE US OPEN!!!!!!

Dad of lady Taz!

White Belt
Reaction score
We are two weeks away from the close of early registration and the numbers look pretty bad. Total registrations are Male:147 Female:96. I know that there will be a big rush as early registration comes to a close, but the lack of international competition (most of whom have usually registered by now) is making this trip less inviting for us. Hmmmm New Orleans - Las Vegas - Austin....One of these things it not like the other, one of these things does not belong....

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We are two weeks away from the close of early registration and the numbers look pretty bad. Total registrations are Male:147 Female:96. I know that there will be a big rush as early registration comes to a close, but the lack of international competition (most of whom have usually registered by now) is making this trip less inviting for us. Hmmmm New Orleans - Las Vegas - Austin....One of these things it not like the other, one of these things does not belong....

Las Vegas is a great venue and is a big draw...From a business stand point Austin does not work...The revenue that they are making from the State of Texas will not make up the revenue lost by lack of participation...The lack of participation is a direct result of a less attractive venue!

I don't have all the information but from the surface it looks like a short sighted decision!

Could be a lack of capital by the USAT.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

people tell me that in previous years, the phones ring and people talk to each other about how many of their students are going and/or otherwise making plans to see old friends. But this year, it's been pretty quiet, spooky quiet. Seems USAT is being attacked from all sides.

Latest Discussions