USAT Nationals category

Bones

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so i am checking out the enrollment for nationals set for San Jose, CA. If you check the regular sparring breakdown, they have grassroots, world class (including 14-17 black belts), ultra -- the usual. However, they also have a separate enrollment for "2011 U.S. National Championships - 14-17 year old additional Sparring Divisions". Aside from generating another enrollment fee, what is the purpose? Does anyone know?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are 3 tourneys going on at the same time.
  1. Jr. Olympics 6-13 (I think Ultras (33+) are also in with this group)
  2. Jr. Nationals 14-17
  3. Sr. Nationals 18-+ (14+ can join also participate in this)
There are grass roots for each tournament. Grass roots are only those that did not qualify and will not be considered national champions. You must have qualified to compete in world class or nationals for all tournaments.

I see they have registration separated out for each category this year. Same stuff as always but just listed a little differently this year.

At least that is what I assume. I am sure someone with more insight will chime in soon. But for the most part that is what it looks like to me.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There are grass roots for each tournament. Grass roots are only those that did not qualify and will not be considered national champions. You must have qualified to compete in world class or nationals for all tournaments.

I see they have registration separated out for each category this year. Same stuff as always but just listed a little differently this year.

At least that is what I assume. I am sure someone with more insight will chime in soon. But for the most part that is what it looks like to me.

I remember reading that they went back to seeding the winner of the Grassroots division into the World Class Divisions in the qualifying divisions. You might want to double check that. It was originally that way, then they changed it without telling anyone, just snuck it into the handbooks and now it is back again - unless they made another secret change.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember reading that they went back to seeding the winner of the Grassroots division into the World Class Divisions in the qualifying divisions. You might want to double check that. It was originally that way, then they changed it without telling anyone, just snuck it into the handbooks and now it is back again - unless they made another secret change.
I think you are correct. They stopped this but now brought it back without telling anyone.

Got this off the USAT page --> http://usa-taekwondo.us/events/5174/page/12391

World Class Divisions are exclusively for black belt competitors ages 10-17 (Junior Sparring) and 18-32 (Senior Sparring) who have finished in the top 3 in their division at USAT National Qualifiers and State Championships. Grass Roots Divisions include all other competitors. Athletes who have attended a USAT qualification event but did not place in the top 3 positions would compete in the Grass Roots divisions. The winner of the Grass Root divisions will be given a chance to compete in World Class the following day.

My Son won his first title in 2008 this way. In 2007 we did not understand that rule and my daughter won what they called "Elite" back then but did not come back to participate in Worlds. We just did not know. In 2008 She won Elite again but lost her fist match by "DQ", She hit to the face or head to hard for her divison.

Good to see they brought this back. Still better to qualify but hey it gives those that did not a chance.

OP
B

Bones

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well, here is the explanation from the usat website:

14-17 year old additional events

by Mark Kaufmann / May 24, 2011

Share:
3Share

If you or your child are looking to register at Nationals for 14-17 and 18-32, please register for 14-17 first in the National Championships Sparring event then go to the 2011 U.S. National Championships - 14-17 year old additional Sparring Divisions event and register there. Your World Class and/or Grass Root divisions will still be visible to you.

Thanks.

Eventsguy

Latest Discussions