USAT looking to get better

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
See I find this to be fancy paper, let me explain, the USAT knows what is wrong they just cannot seem to fix the problems. Putting together a task force to tell them what they already know seems a bit silly to me, what we need is a task force that is going to put everything they find into place and actually rebuild the entire organization. This does not mean get rid of everybody and start over but instead develope the current roster to be better at what they do. I mean they say a grassroot program but yet to my knowledge they really do not have one that is not bias to say the very best. I sure hope they can really pull together for the athletes and the betterment of TKD in the good old USA.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's gotta start somewhere. I agree that forming a working group is no guarantee of anything.

To be honest about the challenge, the people of TKD are pretty diverse in their values and desires, and everyone has a lineage/school/history. Just look at the range of thinking on this forum.

I do think an important step is to survey the membership as part of defining what we want USA Taekwondo to be/do, then refine the structure to best support that. A top-down process would be just another fart in the wind. Change has to result from better consensus instead of factions pushing their own agendas. Right now we look like Iraqi politics.

Carl

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought this would be relative to this thread, it is from LadyTKD website.

http://usa-taekwondo.us/news/2010/04/15/usat-establishes-membership-development-task-force/35355
Needless to say considering how low membership has gotten, can't hurt. I just have one little problem with the process.
Not to be picky, but the Chair of the Board CAN'T appoint task forces according to our bylaws.

OH WAIT - His words on the subject were "IT DOESN'T SAY I CAN'T!!!!"

Section 9.1. Designation.
USAT shall have the following standing committees: an Audit Committee, an Ethics
Committee, a Judicial Committee, and a Nominating and Governance Committee. The Board of
Directors or the Chief Executive Officer may appoint such other committees and task forces as
the Board or Chief Executive Officer deem to be necessary and appropriate.

But then maybe there was a vote to change this and the minutes of said meeting have never been posted or the bylaws updated? Or maybe the article has the details wrong and the CEO appointed and allowed Kevin to take credit?

The Devil is in the Details.

cmassman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I thought this would be relative to this thread, it is from LadyTKD website.

USAT shall have the following standing committees: an Audit Committee, an Ethics
Committee, a Judicial Committee, and a Nominating and Governance Committee. The Board of
Directors or the Chief Executive Officer may appoint such other committees and task forces as
From the highlighted section it seems reasonable the he could appoint the committee. The sentence clearly says that the directors and CEO can appoint other committees and task forces as they deem necessary. The first sentence states what committes USAT must have.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
From the highlighted section it seems reasonable the he could appoint the committee. The sentence clearly says that the directors and CEO can appoint other committees and task forces as they deem necessary. The first sentence states what committes USAT must have.

Please re-read - the Directors as a whole can vote, the Chair can't appoint. Taking your interpretation, all 10 can create their own committees - which was not the intent. Even the USAT Legal Counsel told him he can't appoint. 12/10/09. What it has been interpreted as meaning is committees can be formed one of two ways - the BOARD can vote or the CEO can appoint.

After investigating, one of the board members did mention this to them and he can't remember if there was a vote or if David appointed to keep things legal, but the article is a lie as far as how it was formed. I am assuming that it is campaign rhetoric for Kevin's re-election.

Additionally, the filling of the vacant board seat is the job of the N&G - and unless the BOD changes the bylaws.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please re-read - the Directors as a whole can vote, the Chair can't appoint. Taking your interpretation, all 10 can create their own committees - which was not the intent. Even the USAT Legal Counsel told him he can't appoint. 12/10/09. What it has been interpreted as meaning is committees can be formed one of two ways - the BOARD can vote or the CEO can appoint.

USAT shall have the following standing committees: an Audit Committee, an Ethics Committee, a Judicial Committee, and a Nominating and Governance Committee. The Board of Directors or the Chief Executive Officer may appoint such other committees and task forces as

I agree with CMassman's interpretation of the above section-it doesn't say BOD "and" CEO may appoint.... it says "OR." Certainly the BOD can't act as individuals, it acts as a body, but the CEO can act on his own initiative per the section. It doesn't mention the Chairman of the BOD in the section as having the power...but the CEO certainly has the power.

As to the intent of the drafter-who knows what that was and frankly, that doesn't matter-it is the words written and they should be interpreted as written.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
USAT shall have the following standing committees: an Audit Committee, an Ethics Committee, a Judicial Committee, and a Nominating and Governance Committee. The Board of Directors or the Chief Executive Officer may appoint such other committees and task forces as

I agree with CMassman's interpretation of the above section-it doesn't say BOD "and" CEO may appoint.... it says "OR." Certainly the BOD can't act as individuals, it acts as a body, but the CEO can act on his own initiative per the section. It doesn't mention the Chairman of the BOD in the section as having the power...but the CEO certainly has the power.

As to the intent of the drafter-who knows what that was and frankly, that doesn't matter-it is the words written and they should be interpreted as written.

uhh - that is what I said. The CEO can appoint or the Board can vote. Kevin can't appoint. That is my point - there are two ways and Kevin or Chair of the BOD can't appoint anyone, even though he thinks he is president. CMassman says he doesn't see a problem with the Chair appointing. "From the highlighted section it seems reasonable the he could appoint the committee." Only the CEO can appoint. BOD as a whole can vote.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely silly. The US government does it all the time. Spend money and put people to work to tell them what they already know.

Daniel

Further complicate that with people who do not know TKD, other than Ruford who as a competing athlete is not as on top of how the org works. So we let former USOC come in and fix what USOC fixed in the first place. Remember, this was the USOC model for other NGB's.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I know is this twoo days and nobody and I mean nobody has text,e-mail or called me back. They are so uptight that the butt crack is closed forever. Ok USAT is the best org possible and snow white was really in love with micky mouse........

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
All I know is this twoo days and nobody and I mean nobody has text,e-mail or called me back. They are so uptight that the butt crack is closed forever. Ok USAT is the best org possible and snow white was really in love with micky mouse........

If it makes you feel better, you are not alone. They are horrible at returning calls and answering notes - unless they are published publicly. Esche got an answer from David within a half hour of its posting on my website. Bruce Harris wrote the board last September or October, to my knowledge, he has never gotten an answer.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, you are not alone. They are horrible at returning calls and answering notes - unless they are published publicly. Esche got an answer from David within a half hour of its posting on my website. Bruce Harris wrote the board last September or October, to my knowledge, he has never gotten an answer.

Hmm, you'd almost think these guys are members of Congress! In any case, the solution is the same for any elected official who is unresponsive to his constituents' needs. Vote them out.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hmm, you'd almost think these guys are members of Congress! In any case, the solution is the same for any elected official who is unresponsive to his constituents' needs. Vote them out.
Easier said than done, as evinced by our current members of congress. People are apathetic when it comes to exercising their voting rights, and often just vote party line or the equivalent thereof in organizational politics.

Also, you often run into the issue of all of the choices being simply the usual suspects, so all of your candidates come from the same fouled pool. Not up on the who's who in USAT, so I my statement is on a general level, not a USAT specific level.

Daniel

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score

it is an election year. Coming up for re-election

Coaching Director and HP Classmate - Kevin Padilla
Referee Director - Mark Biviano (he has worked to keep them legal)
Independent - Brad Lunn
Grassroots (state) - Mark Williams
Grassroots (clubs) - Board and CEO refuse to fill the vacancy (Mark Biviano made a motion to do so and no one would second the motion. Doubt it makes the minutes.)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Grassroots (clubs) - Board and CEO refuse to fill the vacancy (Mark Biviano made a motion to do so and no one would second the motion. Doubt it makes the minutes.)

If your by-laws provide for such a position, how can they refuse to fill the vacancy? Seems like something to bring up at a general meeting.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well it does not matter who we elect as long as David is around it will never grow. He is like the plaugue and worst. I mean I try to support USAT for a few of my athletes but every single year it is more B.S. and to top that off it just keep getting worst everyday, I wish we had more avenue for the sportside and believe me the A.A.U. is always one of my choices but to have any hope for the Olympic dream you must be part of this ****.....:toilclaw: :hb: :mrtoilet:

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If your by-laws provide for such a position, how can they refuse to fill the vacancy? Seems like something to bring up at a general meeting.

You would think so wouldn't you. General Assemblies are scheduled for inconvenient, non-event dates and little in the way of direction given. Bylaws do not say how long they have to fill the vacancy, so they will put it off. In fact, there is a note that they will not fill it until their brand new committee to revamp the org makes it recommendations. They go out of their way to avoid communicating. I was nearly shot when they found out I was encouraging people to exercise their rights to observe meetings and pushing for call in numbers. They dont want an audience.

Translation - they don't care about the bylaws. In fact, they don't know the bylaws and that includes the CEO and Board Chair.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Because the CEO control who and what is going to happen no matter what any of the bylaws says. TKD people are silly they grip but when push comes to shove they all back down so the CEO gets his way, we just need to stand up and ask for him to be accounted for but that will never happen in my lifetime.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You would think so wouldn't you. General Assemblies are scheduled for inconvenient, non-event dates and little in the way of direction given. Bylaws do not say how long they have to fill the vacancy, so they will put it off. In fact, there is a note that they will not fill it until their brand new committee to revamp the org makes it recommendations. They go out of their way to avoid communicating. I was nearly shot when they found out I was encouraging people to exercise their rights to observe meetings and pushing for call in numbers. They dont want an audience.

Translation - they don't care about the bylaws. In fact, they don't know the bylaws and that includes the CEO and Board Chair.

Positively floored....