US taekwondo athlete suspended 6 months for doping

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/more/05/06/taekwondo.athlete.suspended.ap/

This is just one of the many reasons you will never EVER see me telling my kid that she must compete at anything other than a natural weight for a girl of her height, age etc. Not only is it unhealthy and can be dangerous, but it can also lead to your naming being published all over the world in Sport Illustrated as being banned from your sport.

Emilia is at least 6 feet tall I believe and turns 18 this year. She fought at the US Open in the 108-116 division. The minimum healthy weight for a girl of that stature is 138 and ideal is 159.

What a sad story.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) -- An American taekwondo athlete has been suspended for six months after testing positive for a prohibited substance.
The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency announced Thursday that Emilia Morrow has accepted a suspension after testing positive for the diuretics hydrochlorothiazide and chlorothiazide. The 17-year-old from Rockville, Md., was tied for 30th in the world rankings in the bantamweight division as of April 1 and is a five-time junior national champion.
Morrow was tested Feb. 14 at the U.S. Open in Las Vegas. She must forfeit the silver medal she won there in the bantam division.
Morrow will be suspended six months from Feb. 14. Diuretics are listed as "specified substances," for which bans may be shorter than the standard two-year period.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Holy crud!:eek:
I am 5'5" and at 108/126 I am deathly skinny! :xtrmshock

Man, you wish the adults ina kid's life had more sense than that!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/more/05/06/taekwondo.athlete.suspended.ap/

This is just one of the many reasons you will never EVER see me telling my kid that she must compete at anything other than a natural weight for a girl of her height, age etc. Not only is it unhealthy and can be dangerous, but it can also lead to your naming being published all over the world in Sport Illustrated as being banned from your sport.

Emilia is at least 6 feet tall I believe and turns 18 this year. She fought at the US Open in the 108-116 division. The minimum healthy weight for a girl of that stature is 138 and ideal is 159.

What a sad story.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) -- An American taekwondo athlete has been suspended for six months after testing positive for a prohibited substance.
The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency announced Thursday that Emilia Morrow has accepted a suspension after testing positive for the diuretics hydrochlorothiazide and chlorothiazide. The 17-year-old from Rockville, Md., was tied for 30th in the world rankings in the bantamweight division as of April 1 and is a five-time junior national champion.
Morrow was tested Feb. 14 at the U.S. Open in Las Vegas. She must forfeit the silver medal she won there in the bantam division.
Morrow will be suspended six months from Feb. 14. Diuretics are listed as "specified substances," for which bans may be shorter than the standard two-year period.
Maybe that is why all the talk about weight cutting at this year Coaches Edge siminar.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe her coach and parents should be also held accountable for this, she probaly was only doing what her coach is telling her. I wish couches would just teach there students to fight at thier wieght instead of telling them they can do better if they drop twenty- thirty pounds before a competition. I know of a 12-13 year old that will drop between 15-20 pounds to stay below 80 lbs so he is that much taller than the rest of the competitors. It is a crying shame when a piece of medal is more important than someones health.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe that is why all the talk about weight cutting at this year Coaches Edge siminar.

Her specific case? I kinda doubt it. Weight cutting goes on all over the place, in many different sports. It is not rare, nor is it limited to TKD. Often it is the coaches/trainers that link the athletes up with the docs that prescribe this stuff. Very sad. :(

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sad! My daughter had to cut 6 pounds for the Spanish Open she gained 8 lbs because she grew over the last 9 months. She had to be @ the weight that she qualified 92lbs. her natural weight is 97/98 and she is 5'1. She will fight at he natural weight going forward. Don't like the Idea of cutting weight.

I hope that others learn from this and stop the drastic weight cutting....

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Her specific case? I kinda doubt it. Weight cutting goes on all over the place, in many different sports. It is not rare, nor is it limited to TKD. Often it is the coaches/trainers that link the athletes up with the docs that prescribe this stuff. Very sad. :(

It's legendary, really, the little gym-rats being told they are too fat, equestrian sports where almost all participants are female, but the coaches are often male - but prefer the slender built of another male over feminine curves...it's sickening. You end up with a lot of problems down the road, long after competition years are over. Reminds me of that Chinese weightlifter. They had her so doped up with steroids, she never got to develope biological...ended up getting a crummy cleaning business with a one room apartment from the state for her sacrifice...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
On an extended thought, why have the kids fight in weigh classes? I see how in the grand sceam it's different than ITA procedure since there is virtually no tournament circuit. But for competition the kids are entered by age (and rank) then the group sorted by height and built.
It ain't perfect but you really don't have the 'tale of the tape' with the nasty (unhealthy) side products. There is enough ugliness even in that setting, over bearing parents and stuff - but then, you find them in Little League Baseball (and in greater numbers with more ferocity, too)

The goal should be to produce adults with healthy body image first, good athletes second.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
On an extended thought, why have the kids fight in weigh classes? I see how in the grand sceam it's different than ITA procedure since there is virtually no tournament circuit. But for competition the kids are entered by age (and rank) then the group sorted by height and built.
It ain't perfect but you really don't have the 'tale of the tape' with the nasty (unhealthy) side products. There is enough ugliness even in that setting, over bearing parents and stuff - but then, you find them in Little League Baseball (and in greater numbers with more ferocity, too)

The goal should be to produce adults with healthy body image first, good athletes second.

Are you talking in general or in this specific circumstance?

In general at your local small tournament I think that you have a point and that kids should be matched based on size.

However, if you are suggesting that it would be appropriate to do this at the level of event such as in this case, than I think you are wrong. USAT and WTF events, such as the US Open in this case, ultimately play a role in determining Olympic, Pan Am, World Cup and World Championship teams. So unless you are proposing abolishing weight divisions in those events as well (which should not and would not ever happen) than fighting divisions based on age & weight will be in existence forever.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you talking in general or in this specific circumstance?

In general at your local small tournament I think that you have a point and that kids should be matched based on size.

However, if you are suggesting that it would be appropriate to do this at the level of event such as in this case, than I think you are wrong. USAT and WTF events, such as the US Open in this case, ultimately play a role in determining Olympic, Pan Am, World Cup and World Championship teams. So unless you are proposing abolishing weight divisions in those events as well (which should not and would not ever happen) than fighting divisions based on age & weight will be in existence forever.

Like I said, the ITA does not have a circuit, just a couple of events you go to, nothing you can build a carrier of.

I have no solution for the format we are talking about, I have to admit it. But I am questioning the usefulness of it.
Kids grow so fast, having them stuck in a weight group is really not healthy. Those are the years when everything should be aimed at growing healthy:
Proper weight - and too thin is as bad as too fat, actually worse.
balanced attitude - life is much longer than the competitive shelf life of an athlete.
Non destructive habits - working out can be addictive. But the body can handle only this much. A growing body of a child can handle even less. If an adult chooses to do that, that is fine, there should be regulations in place to prevent kids from getting on that slippery slope.

Is there a need for kids under 16 to go all the way to nationals? Or international for that matter. I know that, too, is a great learning experience, but does it keep in check with the ultimate cost?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do believe they should allow a child the room to grow but for what it is worth it is up to the parents and instructors to educate our youth down the right path. We have put so much burden on winning that they forgot about this is suppose to be a confidence builder and bring in some respect for your fellow athletes.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do believe they should allow a child the room to grow but for what it is worth it is up to the parents and instructors to educate our youth down the right path. We have put so much burden on winning that they forgot about this is suppose to be a confidence builder and bring in some respect for your fellow athletes.

In an ideal world, yes. Sadly too many so called adults live through the kids.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Non destructive habits - working out can be addictive. But the body can handle only this much. A growing body of a child can handle even less. If an adult chooses to do that, that is fine, there should be regulations in place to prevent kids from getting on that slippery slope.

There are regulations in place. The individual in this article did not adhere to the regulations and is now dealing with the consequences.

Ms. Morrow's 2012 Olympic dreams are now shot since placing either 1st or 2nd at this year's Nationals is key to making the 2012 US Olympic Team and now she will not be able to compete at Nationals.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
...Non destructive habits - working out can be addictive. But the body can handle only this much. A growing body of a child can handle even less...
Not true. Kids actually can take a lot more than adults. They need the exercise to grow and are built by nature to do just that and lots of it. Now you do need to make sure that they are eating proper and healty for it as well. When was the last time you saw an adult climb trees, run all over the hill sides, wrestle each other, jump, flip and roll around, play kick ball, ride bikes for miles, all in one day just for fun and, then get up and do it all again the next day. I see adult miss more class from just being sore and kids just roll with it like there is nothing wrong. I ask them if they are sore they always say a little, but then they run off and jump and roll like there is nothing wrong at all. Even teanagers move with some stiffness and pain after a hard workout the next day. Not the kids.

Is there a need for kids under 16 to go all the way to nationals? Or international for that matter. I know that, too, is a great learning experience, but does it keep in check with the ultimate cost?
If said kids wants to make it to the top then yes. Nothing beats experience. Take any kid that has been competing for years at any belt level and they will alway beat the kid that has just stated. Experience is key to competition.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not true. Kids actually can take a lot more than adults. They need the exercise to grow and are built by nature to do just that and lots of it. Now you do need to make sure that they are eating proper and healty for it as well. When was the last time you saw an adult climb trees, run all over the hill sides, wrestle each other, jump, flip and roll around, play kick ball, ride bikes for miles, all in one day just for fun and, then get up and do it all again the next day. I see adult miss more class from just being sore and kids just roll with it like there is nothing wrong. I ask them if they are sore they always say a little, but then they run off and jump and roll like there is nothing wrong at all. Even teanagers move with some stiffness and pain after a hard workout the next day. Not the kids.

well, yes and no. Yes, kids have more energy, flexibility and mendability. Or bouncability. But that, too is diminishing these days with a more sedentary lifestyle (but that is another can of worms for another day). But their bones , tendons etc are not done developing. Naturally, training for a Martial Arts competition does not compare to working in the coal mines mid 19th century, but around then child labor laws were implemented because the kids were crippled from the work (and unfit for military service).

I suppose the jury is out on how damaging all of this early hard training is, now that we better understand physiology and nutrition.

As for teenagers, I think one can take it as a given, once a driver's license is aquired, the over all fitness level declines.

If said kids wants to make it to the top then yes. Nothing beats experience. Take any kid that has been competing for years at any belt level and they will alway beat the kid that has just stated. Experience is key to competition.

True. But does the level of competition have to be chained to unhealthy practices, and do you have to take U16 to nationals or internationals?

I am pondering this more than arguing, really just thinking out loud.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sad! My daughter had to cut 6 pounds for the Spanish Open she gained 8 lbs because she grew over the last 9 months. She had to be @ the weight that she qualified 92lbs. her natural weight is 97/98 and she is 5'1. She will fight at he natural weight going forward. Don't like the Idea of cutting weight.

I hope that others learn from this and stop the drastic weight cutting....

So if children have to qualify for a weight class 9 months in advance, then that's a procedure that undoubtedly encourages weight cutting. Children grow. That is why they are children and not adults. A child shouldn't have to choose between cutting 7% of their body weight and not competing in a tourney for which they trained for several months.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
well, yes and no. Yes, kids have more energy, flexibility and mendability. Or bouncability. But that, too is diminishing these days with a more sedentary lifestyle (but that is another can of worms for another day). But their bones , tendons etc are not done developing. Naturally, training for a Martial Arts competition does not compare to working in the coal mines mid 19th century, but around then child labor laws were implemented because the kids were crippled from the work (and unfit for military service).
But we are talking working out not unsafe working conditions, for anyone let alone a child.

I suppose the jury is out on how damaging all of this early hard training is, now that we better understand physiology and nutrition.
Well, I think it is well known that weight baring exercises are not good for little ones, but anaerobic and aerobic exercises are beneficial, and these are the type of workouts these kids are getting. Body movement and running and jumping. Simple stuff.

As for nutrition they should eat healthy and get plenty of rest is all. No supplements nor any weight cutting. Martial arts even at the elite level can be done right.

As for teenagers, I think one can take it as a given, once a driver's license is aquired, the over all fitness level declines.
This is true.

True. But does the level of competition have to be chained to unhealthy practices, and do you have to take U16 to nationals or internationals?
No and yes.

I am pondering this more than arguing, really just thinking out loud.
I understand. There are right ways and wrong ways. This person that got suspended was doing things the wrong way. But you will always have people willing to do anything to win. You can only manage it, not stop it.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
So if children have to qualify for a weight class 9 months in advance, then that's a procedure that undoubtedly encourages weight cutting. Children grow. That is why they are children and not adults. A child shouldn't have to choose between cutting 7% of their body weight and not competing in a tourney for which they trained for several months.
You have a choice to move up or down at that eventual event. You are not bound to that weight. So if cut off is 105, and you come in at 110 then you can fight 106-next cut off. Just as you can move down if you were overweight at your qualifier and need to fight at the next weight class down.

Now if you are only 1 or 2 pounds over then doing a moderate workout before weigh ins won't hurt you. As long as you are not trying to do that 2 hours before your match. This is why you also weigh in the day before. Do your normal workout, weight in, rehydrate, and don't skip your meals.

There is a difference between weight cutting and weight loss.

Weight Loss - Is a permanent loss in body mass that is a result of a slight energy deficit. This is done through exercise, caloric restriction or a combination of both. The goal is to attain and maintain a healthy weight if previously considered unhealthy and overweight.

Weight cutting - is a temporary loss in stored carbohydrates (glycogen) and water. Weight cutting should be performed between 1-5 days with the goal of replenishing both glycogen and water levels before competition. When weight cutting you should not have a weight reduction goal of more than 2 pounds. Anything over 2 pounds should be considered weight loss.

The above to statements came straight from the 2010 USAT Coaches Edge handout. If you are 5+ pounds over the week before your match you should plan on competing at the next weight class up. It is too late to lose weight and be healthy at that point.

Now this is USAT but I don't know how AAU does it. I also think this move up or down policy is something that just got implemented 2009, so it is fairly new.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You have a choice to move up or down at that eventual event. You are not bound to that weight. So if cut off is 105, and you come in at 110 then you can fight 106-next cut off. Just as you can move down if you were overweight at your qualifier and need to fight at the next weight class down.

Since when?

If you qualify in a weight division at either states or a regional qualifier, you are stuck in that weight category at nationals if you want to fight in the World Class category with a shot at making a team. If your weight changes and you are not able to make the same division which you qualified earlier in the year at, than you are moved out of WC and put into what used to be called the "Elite Open" or "Grassroots" division which no longer has a shot at making a team since first place in those divisions is no longer allowed to fight WC the next day.

And if you do make a team in a particular weight class, you are bound to that weight class for any events that the team participates in regardless of if it is 1 week after the team is formed or 11.5 months after the team is formed. If you are the team's flyweight than you better be flyweight when the team competes or you ain't fighting.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since when?

If you qualify in a weight division at either states or a regional qualifier, you are stuck in that weight category at nationals if you want to fight in the World Class category with a shot at making a team. If your weight changes and you are not able to make the same division which you qualified earlier in the year at, than you are moved out of WC and put into what used to be called the "Elite Open" or "Grassroots" division which no longer has a shot at making a team since first place in those divisions is no longer allowed to fight WC the next day.

And if you do make a team in a particular weight class, you are bound to that weight class for any events that the team participates in regardless of if it is 1 week after the team is formed or 11.5 months after the team is formed. If you are the team's flyweight than you better be flyweight when the team competes or you ain't fighting.
Since 2009 from what I remember and this is from USAT's site. Maybe I am reading it wrong and it may have been explained wrong but here it is - http://usa-taekwondo.us/news/article/12302

If I am reading it wrong or have been told wrong please let me know.

Latest Discussions