US Open E-hogus for the little ones...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see this for what it is a simple way for them to make more money and of course those poor little guy and girls that have never used them should be at a real disadvantage. Why would any good tournament not mention this months in advance so atleast peole would be ready for it. Justa way to keep it in house with the athletes they want to have every advantage. Sorry the USAT is so ****ed up right now and it is really brothering me.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see this for what it is a simple way for them to make more money and of course those poor little guy and girls that have never used them should be at a real disadvantage. Why would any good tournament not mention this months in advance so atleast peole would be ready for it. Justa way to keep it in house with the athletes they want to have every advantage. Sorry the USAT is so ****ed up right now and it is really brothering me.
Ha ha ha...I know you are very upset with USAT and it really shows. I too could look at this like you but to me I see this as some fun for the little ones. Yes USAT can do a lot of things better and yes they should have mentioned this way back but not much I can do about it now. If I see David Askinas or Mark Kauffman I will mention some things to them, but for now it is something I can spin as fun fun for my little ones (10 - 13).

USAT will fail or succeed but I can only worry about my dojang and students. The rest will work itself out one way or another.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ha ha ha...I know you are very upset with USAT and it really shows. I too could look at this like you but to me I see this as some fun for the little ones. Yes USAT can do a lot of things better and yes they should have mentioned this way back but not much I can do about it now. If I see David Askinas or Mark Kauffman I will mention some things to them, but for now it is something I can spin as fun fun for my little ones (10 - 13).

USAT will fail or succeed but I can only worry about my dojang and students. The rest will work itself out one way or another.

Believe I am using it as a tool for my 10-13 years old to make it to the finals, we have to be positive with them and there parents but here I can voice my opinion about it. I always keep everythingpositive for my athlete nomatter what happens inside any organization. Keep them fighting.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe this is only a money grab for USAT and LaJust. $40 or $50 for socks for every one of these little kids that will likely outgrow the socks within weeks so they are only useful for this 1 event.

What a joke!!!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
- Great News! LaJust has solved the body protector sizing issue for the younger age groups. Body protector sizes 0-5 will be available, as will socks for ages 10 & above. This means the U.S. Open will feature LaJust Electronic Scoring for ALL age groups!

I think that it will be for all fights!!! Not sure though!!! I got this off the USAT web site "stars will be out in Las Vegas" Article. I am going to call USAT on monday.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Coaches, be prepared for low scoring matches. If the kids has great traditional round kicks, then they can score easier than the fast 45 degree kicks. Unless the top of the foot turn fully to let the metal mesh on the sock connected to the Hogu, then there will not be any points. Any obstruction such as the arms in the way, then there will not be points.

I tried it a week ago and it was really hard for me to score any points except for 3 points on the head kick which I landed. Judges will give more points on clean punches.

I was informed that kids under 14, the Hogu was adjusted to "pressure" scoring, ie no socks. However that might be old news now that LaJust came out with socks for the 10-13 year old div.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Coaches, be prepared for low scoring matches. If the kids has great traditional round kicks, then they can score easier than the fast 45 degree kicks. Unless the top of the foot turn fully to let the metal mesh on the sock connected to the Hogu, then there will not be any points. Any obstruction such as the arms in the way, then there will not be points.

I tried it a week ago and it was really hard for me to score any points except for 3 points on the head kick which I landed. Judges will give more points on clean punches.

I was informed that kids under 14, the Hogu was adjusted to "pressure" scoring, ie no socks. However that might be old news now that LaJust came out with socks for the 10-13 year old div.
It will be interesting to say the least. I for one am looking forward to seeing how the young one do. They tend to be more technical with their kics than the adults. Should be fun.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Little more info I got from the USA-Taekwondo website.

LaJust Electronic Body protectors will be used by all divisions at the U.S. Open. The 10-13 year-old divisions will use LaJust with only the power settings, so no socks are needed. LaJust socks will be required for 14 years old and above sparring competitors. You can pre-purchase the LaJust socks at

Here is link - http://usa-taekwondo.us/news/2010/01/13/u-s-open-update/30515

But like TKDD said. Not sure if they will keep with this since they now have socks for 10 and up.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
FYI: When you order these socks, buy one size bigger because you are allow to wear a 1/4" foam underneath. If you don't, then your feet will be un-protected.

I wear size 5.5 women shoes, and was barely can squeeze my feet on these socks because of the foam. Keep in mind of that when you buy these socks.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
FYI: When you order these socks, buy one size bigger because you are allow to wear a 1/4" foam underneath. If you don't, then your feet will be un-protected.

I wear size 5.5 women shoes, and was barely can squeeze my feet on these socks because of the foam. Keep in mind of that when you buy these socks.
Good info. Thanks.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just got an email back from Mark Kaughmann. All ages will use sock and LaJust EBB system.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just got an email back from Mark Kaughmann. All ages will use sock and LaJust EBB system.

I got the same Email....I called and asked them to put it on the Website in a little more prominent location....Bell Kellick said that he would.

Bones

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok,

So this year we buy Lajust socks and we get to use the gear for free. USAT signed a 4 yr contract which means that IF we buy a hogu by mortgaging one of the kids (so we can get both the blue and red one in one size) i might just have to buy a new pair of hogus right around the time that the Lajust contract is up (since kids have a tendency to grow). What then? If our school buys the Lajust hogus and electronic scoring extras, they could be of little value by the time the contract is up if USAT renews with a new system.

Speaking of new systems, though i have heard of the Adidas one, Daedo, etc. I haven't heard too much about the KP&P ones, though what i have read on Mookas seems to point well at them. Any idea where we can read more about KP&P? Could they be the contender by the time the USAT contract is up? Will i be able to get a trade in value for my klunker Lajust hogu if the time comes that i must buy a KP&P or other brand hogu?

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
...Any idea where we can read more about KP&P?
My Sabumnim has been touting this KP&P brand E-hogu for about a year now. He is Korean and keeps up with what is being done in Korea. He said that it will be preferred over the LaJust system. He has talked to people in Korea that have tested it and they had nothing but positive word for it. Keep in mind that the words may be positive vs. the LaJust brand.

Not much out there in print about them though. Just word of mouth right now.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My Sabumnim has been touting this KP&P brand E-hogu for about a year now. He is Korean and keeps up with what is being done in Korea. He said that it will be preferred over the LaJust system. He has talked to people in Korea that have tested it and they had nothing but positive word for it. Keep in mind that the words may be positive vs. the LaJust brand.

Not much out there in print about them though. Just word of mouth right now.

My Kids Demo'd them at a seminar in Las Vegas for Herb Perez. They seemed to work well. Herb said that they would be approved by the KTA. ATC you told me that your Master was there so he saw that demo...Seems to be a good product.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
My Kids Demo'd them at a seminar in Las Vegas for Herb Perez. They seemed to work well. Herb said that they would be approved by the KTA. ATC you told me that your Master was there so he saw that demo...Seems to be a good product.
Yes he was there but he has known of them even before then. Good that you liked them. I heard that they were more like a standard hogu, Not as heavy as the LaJust. Is that correct?

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I got the same Email....I called and asked them to put it on the Website in a little more prominent location....Bell Kellick said that he would.

Still not posted in a prominent location on the Web-Site...FYI it is stated on the US Open update section you have to read the article to get the info.

I would like to see this posted more prominently so that we don't have confusion the more people that know and the easier the info is to find the less confusion and hard felling that will be created.

There are 449 males and 292 females registered in this area. I would want to communicate this appropriately and in a very visible location.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes he was there but he has known of them even before then. Good that you liked them. I heard that they were more like a standard hogu, Not as heavy as the LaJust. Is that correct?

Just like a Hogu...You feel the kicks...not like LaJust...the lajust EBP is thick and you don't feel the kicks...Lajust really takes away the hard body shot

Latest Discussions