Universal Pattern....

M

marshallbd

I see the patch that is worn on some Kenpoists uniforms and was wondering if I could get a detailed, in depth description of the Universal Pattern and what it symbolizes or represents.....

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
It displays linear and circular paths and can be used to help teach a particular path or as 'inspiration' to help you think about your available trajectories.

There's a lot more to it than just this...
but perhaps this is a start for you.

Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grandmaster Paul Mills created the one we use in the AKKI...
It's very good for pondering as well.
Your Brother
John

Attachments

• $universal.gif
    $universal.gif
    5 KB · Views: 659

phoenix

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by marshallbd
Thanks...

Do you by chance study with Mr. Coppock in CS? Just curious...I lived in Springs for a while before moving to Denver.

Sean

OP
M

marshallbd

Originally posted by phoenix
Do you by chance study with Mr. Coppock in CS? Just curious...I lived in Springs for a while before moving to Denver.

Sean
No I dont study at all right now..... I started to study Kenpo with mr Pick for a couple of lessons and then due to personal circumstances I stopped going. Then I started with a Tracy's instructor here in the Springs and he had to close his school. Then I tried again with a young second black in Woodland Park but had to stop after 2 months due to a complete ankle reconstruction. Now I'm moving to West Virginia and if all goes well I'll start again in Jan or Feb with Mr Seig and Tess at thier school.

OP
M

marshallbd

Originally posted by Brother John
Your Brother
John
How many different incarnations of the universal pattern are there?

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brother John
Your Brother
John

Those swirly bits round the outside are interesting, the first thing that popped into my head was Returning the Storm...are they often pointed out to be paths of weapons? I know the AKKI has a proper weapons curriculum that's all?

Ian.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber
Those swirly bits round the outside are interesting, the first thing that popped into my head was Returning the Storm...are they often pointed out to be paths of weapons? I know the AKKI has a proper weapons curriculum that's all?
Ian.

Good eyes. Yes it could very well be the patterns of motion used with weapons. Take a look at the picture I've attached below... that's the cover from the 1st level club manual (This picture and more descriptions can be found at the www.akki.com web-site). Note the patterns there. This is a very simple rendition and has more advanced theories behind them. Note the similarity.
BUT: That's just a start.
The 'swirls' in the AKKI Universal pattern/patch show some of the patterns of motion (and theories of motion) used in the practical/dynamic expression of AKKI Kenpo Karate. This is not limited to man made weapons, but also the natural weapons (aka; hands, feet, knees, elbows...etc.). There's more to it than just motion patterns too.
It's deep stuff. I hope to do more than just scratch the surface of it in my future progress.
ALSO: IF you want to talk/chat with an AKKI Kenpo 7th degree Black Belt who REALLY knows this stuff and is renouned for his weapons ability and instruction... try contacting Mr. Derek C. Ence. He's a first generation student of GM Paul Mills and is on Martial Talk as "DCEnce". He's a very helpful man.
I'd direct you to Mr. Mills himself, he's always eager to help people understand better, but he's an astoundingly busy man!!!

Your Brother
John

Attachments

• $1st level club manual.jpg
    $1st level club manual.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 566

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Again, do a search in the technical section on the universal pattern. If my memory is correct Rainman did an exceptional job explaining the universal pattern.

OP
M

marshallbd

How many different versions of the universal pattern are there and what are the differnces....?
Also does any one have a clear version of the universal pattern I can print out on my computer.....I am going to incorporate it with a tattoo I already have of a dragon and am going to add a tiger with the pattern as a center piece /background

Latest Discussions