Unique experience with a new friend

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last night I went to a BB test at a friend's school. I met a man who's been training in TKD since 1956! He was an American Marine in Korea when he began. He's 75 (runs marathons & triathons in his spare time) & travels to Korea twice a year to train with his instructor (still!)

He is connected (& proudly so) with the KTA & Oh Do Kwan. While we didn't get to talk in too much detail, he told me enough to let me know that his knowledge of TKD history is extensive. As one of the few Americans with KTA BB cert (as well as Oh Do Kwan & KKW) he's a rare individual. He teaches ODK to his students. Old school SD oriented stuff!

It was a pleasure meeting someone with his background & experiences.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is awesome, I hope you got his name and number so you can keep in touch.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Indeed!

There are times when you meet someone in the arts who you know it is a priveledge to find (I shouldn't say it, to spare his blushes in case he ever reads this, but my iai sensei is one of those :eek:).

Those meetings and moments are things to treasure :tup:.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is awesome, I hope you got his name and number so you can keep in touch.

I did indeed get his info & he mine. Within 15 minutes of meeting me he asked if I was available to sit on a BB test board for him next month! Sadly, I have a test that same day, so I had to decline. But I'm sure we will connect again.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
man, I love those folks that have been around! there is such a wealth of information to be found! Yep, jealous is about the word that can begin to describe it! :)

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
He teaches ODK to his students. Old school SD oriented stuff!

I have heard that before. Someone teaches Oh Do Kwan.

I would becurious to know exactly what that is? Where might one find the syllabus or text? What pattern system is that?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
As one of the few Americans with KTA BB cert (as well as Oh Do Kwan & KKW) .

Who signed the Oh Do Kwan and KTA certs.?

Please advise along with uears of issuance. Should make for interesting historical info.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have heard that before. Someone teaches Oh Do Kwan.

I would becurious to know exactly what that is? Where might one find the syllabus or text? What pattern system is that?

Yup, I'd love to hear what original Oh Do Kwan training involved. Thanks for sharing the story, IcemanSK.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who signed the Oh Do Kwan and KTA certs.?

Please advise along with uears of issuance. Should make for interesting historical info.

I have similar questions after the fact. There wasn't the time or place to go into details then. He said he GM was named Kong. I wondered if it is Kong Yong-il, until I noticed in "A Killing Art" that Kong moved to the US. I assumed (and probably wrongly so) that his original instructor is still alive. The man he visits may be someone he's known for a number of years, but not necessarily his original instructor.

There was also a Chang H'on stylist at this test. I figured that these two men would talk forms with familiarity. But my ODK friend teaches Pal Gwe poomsae, rather than the Chang H'on tul. He says that's what his instructor uses. He is also KKW certified. (If he does KKW BB poomsae, he only needs to be tested himself on the BB poomsae.)

I'll find out the answers to these questions & more. Stay tuned:ultracool

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last night I went to a BB test at a friend's school. I met a man who's been training in TKD since 1956! He was an American Marine in Korea when he began. He's 75 (runs marathons & triathons in his spare time) & travels to Korea twice a year to train with his instructor (still!)

He is connected (& proudly so) with the KTA & Oh Do Kwan. While we didn't get to talk in too much detail, he told me enough to let me know that his knowledge of TKD history is extensive. As one of the few Americans with KTA BB cert (as well as Oh Do Kwan & KKW) he's a rare individual. He teaches ODK to his students. Old school SD oriented stuff!

You are blesed my friend. Try to keep in touch with this gentelman, is solid gold believe me.

Manny

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK,

Unique is the key word. My Father trained under the RoK Army Instructors Group in DiAhn, Vietnam. He is certified directly by the Oh Do Kwan as well!
Myself and my brothers still corespond directly with Daehan Taekwondo Ohdokwan, Jang Bon Kwan, Seoul Korea!

May I ask the Gentleman's name? If not appropriate for the forum please send me a PM. All the persons we are familiar with here in the US are Korean. We would love to contact Korea HQ to verify the persons identity, and would love to contact him personally!

TAEKWON!
Bateman

(P.S. My fathers first instructor in Vietnam was also named Kong, (Chung- Man)