Uniform curiousity

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I love the look of those vaguely tan or natural colored uniforms, but I don't own one or go to a school that allows them. They're still cool looking though.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Suspicious? Why?

Daniel

It is my belief that the color of a Taekwondo uniform should be white, symbolizing purity of mind and action. In other words, white uniforms symbolize the idea that you are not motivated by money, fame, publicity, power, or status. Aditionally, the normal color of the Korean Hanbok is white. Whenever I see a black or colored uniform, I assume the practitioner is motivated by less than noble reasons. Again, I accept black trim. Black pants, black jacket, or colored uniform? Nope.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is my belief that the color of a Taekwondo uniform should be white, symbolizing purity of mind and action. In other words, white uniforms symbolize the idea that you are not motivated by money, fame, publicity, power, or status. Aditionally, the normal color of the Korean Hanbok is white. Whenever I see a black or colored uniform, I assume the practitioner is motivated by less than noble reasons. Again, I accept black trim. Black pants, black jacket, or colored uniform? Nope.

Well, please just keep in mind that you have personally attached these feelings to this color and that others (who wear black) may have not. I'll admit, when I see the fancy multi-colored uniforms with lots of patches I seem to have the same feelings you do towards black. But, I think it is important to not judge on such surface first impressions... at least I try not to
icon12.gif

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I also realize it's a free country. People will do what they will. It's just one of my martial art pet peeves.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score

yeah, ok

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
With respect, I think that that is a huge presumption to make. I am familiar with the color symbolization, and for myself, I much prefer the white or white with black trim. I'm skinny enough being 200 at 6'4 (Steven Lopez must make me look fat at 6'3/175) so I don't need need a black uniform to shrink my profile any further.:p

But I make no judgements about the motivations of anyone based on their uniform color. That choice may be made for them by their dojang; blackbelts get black uniforms, or some such. Or all the schools uniforms may be blue. If a taekwondoin has studied all their life at a school with black uniforms for dan ranks, he or she would have no reason to think differently and may have the finest of motivations. Edit: Also, as has been pointed out, for some, there is a practical reason for black pants.

Daniel

Last edited:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, please just keep in mind that you have personally attached these feelings to this color and that others (who wear black) may have not. I'll admit, when I see the fancy multi-colored uniforms with lots of patches I seem to have the same feelings you do towards black. But, I think it is important to not judge on such surface first impressions... at least I try not to
icon12.gif
I saw a school recently where the uniforms reminded me of Danika Patrick's nomex suit: team colors and patches galore, with the manufacturer's logo emblazoned boldly on the legs, arms, and left shoulder/chest area. Being a lover of all things that go fast, I have to admit, a part of me found it kind of cool, though I wouldn't want such a dobok or to make my students wear one.

Personally, I think that the look of the uniforms reflects more on the school than the individual wearing it.

We did just get our demo team uniforms, and wow! Red, white and blue! Works out well that the USA and South Korea have the same colored flags.

Daniel

tkd75

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I think that the look of the uniforms reflects more on the school than the individual wearing it.

Couldn't agree with you more on that one. I think of the uniform as a way to individualize the schools, or associations, and what each decides to do to the uniform is their decision.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We wear white v-neck doboks. Black belts wear white with black v-neck. After blue belt, the student gets a Chung Do Kwan patch to wear over their heart. We don't have a school logo on the back or anything. Pretty simple.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's the way I like it. I have pictures of my instructor from way back when he was a lowly 7th Dan wearing a white V-neck dobock. Simplicity in action.

I couldn't even picture myself in a non-white uniform. I'd feel like a goofball. Actually, I'd feel like some of the goofballs I've seen in low class schools.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's the way I like it. I have pictures of my instructor from way back when he was a lowly 7th Dan wearing a white V-neck dobock. Simplicity in action.

I couldn't even picture myself in a non-white uniform. I'd feel like a goofball. Actually, I'd feel like some of the goofballs I've seen in low class schools.

I am actually suprised to hear he was wearing a v-neck. My experience is a lot of the older generation wear the cross over style as that is what they grew up in the arts wearing and seeing. I guess being "traditional" just depends on how far back you want to go. This is not at all meant to sound disrespectful, just an observation from another traditionalist.

I have also always understood that the v-necks were only designed so that Korean arts would look different than Japanese arts. Any ever hear anything different (or the same)?

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Good thought When I reached the brown levels my gi was a site to behold, so I went and bought a v-neck as I thought it looked better and it turned out to feel better during workouts also. The school had no policy on crossover or v necks.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have also always understood that the v-necks were only designed so that Korean arts would look different than Japanese arts. Any ever hear anything different (or the same)?

I wish I could wear a V neck...would cut down on the rearranging during work outs....

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I wish I could go back to my old wraparound, my v-neck is too hot. At least with the wraparound I could loosen it a bit and let some air in.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, I pretty much gotta wear a T-shirt under neath 'for modesty' so V-neck Would be cool...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I met a guy who wears an Under Armour fitted shirt under his v neck dobok for the sweat factor. "Non-traditional" for sure. I've not tried it. Maybe it would help.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well I have switched to sports wear vs cotton... but still, just regular support and top would be nice. the weird morality of the South at work: my Bikini covers less then my sports support, but since it's an undergarment, can't see it in the open....

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've always worn the cross-over jackets. I put a piece of velcro in mine where it crosses - that takes care of it falling open.

Our uniforms are white, with the association logo on the back. Students who are members of the association also wear an association patch on the left chest, with a rocker patch for referee certification if they're certified. Flag patches - US and state, if either are desired - are worn on the left arm, just below the shoulder seam. Class patches, if available and desired, are worn on the right arm, just below the shoulder seam. Black belts can trim the bottom of their uniform jacket with black trim after I Dan. After IV Dan, black trim down the side seam of the pants is added. Students who have certified as International Instructors (must be at least IV Dan) can add black trim down the arm seams. Trim is intended to let students know who to ask for help - it's easier to see at a distance than belt stripes.

Latest Discussions