underuniform wear? spinoff of "Girls, Whats under your Gis"

A

andurilking2

hey i was wondering what any male ma find most comfortable and practicle to wear under a uniform
right now i train in just boxers and my uniform

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't speak for all my students but i think safety and protection outweigh comfort. They wear a cup if they are smart

OP
C

chufeng

Never worn a cup, ever....
Even when I boxed (Western style)...

I figure if I leave 'em open for a shot, I deserve the punishment.

Good way to stay focused on weak areas...after all, how many folks walk around the street, every day, wearing a cup????

Train like you live...
...that includes footwear...

:asian:
chufeng

OP
S

spook mma

boxer briefs and always a cup. you always protect those that are dearest to you.

personally, i don't know how any male can be involved in a contact sport and not wear one. i understand that you want to train the way that you'll be on the street, but come on, who wants to risk a nut shot???? i think the negatives far outweigh the positives.

btw, maybe we can also share out worst nut shots ever. like Homer Simpson said, "what's funnier than a guy getting hit in the groin?"
:rofl:

OP
C

chufeng

Sorry! Very few and far between...I've recieved little punishment in that area...not because I've not put myself in that posisition, but because I cover the vital areas.

chufeng

OP
T

tonbo

I wear boxers, compression shorts (mainly out of habit), a t-shirt, and yes, a cup.

My main method of protecting my groin is to keep it out of the way of the shots aimed there. However, two things I have to keep in mind:

1) Some of our techniques target the groin. If I am going to have someone practice that technique on me in the upper belt class, I want some protection.

2) I am good at moving my groin out of the way; however, I am *not* perfect. I have had the pleasure of a spinning back kick rocketed right into the groin--a shot that damn near inverted my cup. If I want to continue sparring, I want to ensure that I can walk; doing so requires covering vital areas.

I agree that I deserve punishment if I leave that area open. However, I will continue to wear a cup, just as I would continue to train on a lower wire with a harness if I were a tightrope walker. The safety just makes sense. (at least to me).

Peace--

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No cup since I dont wear one on the street (though to be fair one of my co-workers does).
Basic workout gear; shorts in the summer, sweats in the winter.
Gi and belt only on "formal" days. Prefer compression shorts under a gi.

OP
K

kenpo12

No Cup!!!! I couldn't even imagine hard training without a cup. If you trained at our studio you would probably change your mind. With as many groin shots as we use, I don't care how careful ya are, you're gonna get hit.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No Cup!!!! I couldn't even imagine hard training without a cup. If you trained at our studio you would probably change your mind.

Nah.
When we do hard sparring I will sometimes use a full boxing groin protector, but otherwise they just arent worth the trouble (to me). Mouth guard and safety glasses are another matter.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... I sure don't the liability if some mother's only son is seriously hurt and I have ruined all chances of progeny from that family (no comment about whether he deserved it or not, or "self-selection", etc.)

I require cups on all days, not just sparring. But some people just don't learn. Whoops, it is amazing how you can sneak a little shot in from a very obscure or "closed" angle. I also like my students wearing a mouthpiece in a technique line.

OP
S

spook mma

just got back from class where we were doing a little light sparring. my training partner went for a thai roundhouse and went to counter it with a diep... well, my foot slipped a lil, so he essentially got a "boot to the groin". :eek: :eek:
fortunately he was wearing a cup so his chances for reproduction are still about the same. :rofl:
ironic though, seeing how i don't remember nut shots being an every day occurrence in muay thai.

btw, i remember my worst nut shot came in a softball game (16"). a grounder came my way and took a funny hop right into my groin. i tried to walk it off, but the pain had me bent over and ready to die!!!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by chufeng
Never worn a cup, ever....
Even when I boxed (Western style)...

I figure if I leave 'em open for a shot, I deserve the punishment.

Good way to stay focused on weak areas...after all, how many folks walk around the street, every day, wearing a cup????

Train like you live...
...that includes footwear...

chufeng

I realize the Chefung has gone, yet I still wish to reply.

I agree that you should train just like dress normally, including training in your winter clothes, and sometimes your winter environment.

As to the Cup, I wear one. And Yes I wear one on the streets. When and If I bounce I wear one. You should have seen this guy 'Dance' out of the mosh pit and knee a security guard and down he goes, then he comes for me later, I was distracted by his friend soulder bumping me. He knees and then strikes me and is sooo surprised I am not down. I then jumped into the PIT. The Band stopped, the dancing stopped, and I removed the people from the floor that I had put there. I then explained that the Pit was wide open but no stage diving and no one outside the pit was to be attacked, especialy the security.

And Yes many would say that security should be able to handle themselves. :D

OP
M

MartialArtsGuy

Dont need a cup. got scrotum skin of steel.
ok that may have been a bit much but this vodka has extraordinary powers of mind control. :p :drink2tha

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My cup runneth over. Anyways Most people that don't wear cups in training always like to mention that they are not wearing a cup. This automaticly places a burden on the partner to watch there step and be carefull. I say shut up and wear a cup or be a man and... shut up. Quit burdening your partners with your lack of preparedness.
respectfully,
Sean

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Under my TKD dobok I always wear a ribbed tank top and the same compression shorts that basketball players wear under their shorts. When wearing white dobok pants, I don't like to show panty lines... ;) :D

When it's sparring class for sure I'm sporting my cup. If someone's taking a shot at my nads, I want to be protected... :ultracool

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja
MMA grappling shorts under the gi for me.:asian:

ALSO, I have 2 ringside cups w/abdominal protection. I wear the large under my gi and over my grappling shorts and I use the extra large when I need to slip on a cup real quick over my gi or over my Thai shorts or street clothes. Having the second larger cup allows me to spar anytime.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by cali_tkdbruin
Under my TKD dobok I always wear a ribbed tank top and the same compression shorts that basketball players wear under their shorts. When wearing white dobok pants, I don't like to show panty lines... ;) :D

When it's sparring class for sure I'm sporting my cup. If someone's taking a shot at my nads, I want to be protected... :ultracool

Panty lines? Now that, I didn't have to know!:(

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Any of you guys remember the Steve Martin movie, "The Jerk"? He fought in a kung fu scene and kicked "Iron Balls" McGinty and hurt his foot. "Iron Balls" Anderson I am not. I wear a cup.

BTW, if someone starts a thread of the most painful or most embarrassing nut shots received, I'll contribute but I won't start it.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Latest Discussions