UFC and ninjitsu

K

Kroy

What was the name of the ninjitsu guy that got stomped at UFC 3 (I think it was 3) Was he well known?

OP
P

pknox

Not sure who you mean here. Steve Jennum was in UFC 3, and he lists his arts as both Ninjutsu and TKD. He was the only practitioner in that event to list his style as Ninjitsu. He did actually tap his UFC 3 opponent in less than a minute and a half (Harold Howard), and was declared the winner of UFC 3, so I don't know if that's who you were looking for, because that's not exactly getting "stomped". He also went on to win UFC 4 as well. There was a Ninjitsu practitioner in UFC 2 named Scott Morris, who defeated Sean Daugherty in his first match, and was later beaten by a kickboxer named Pat Smith.

OP
J

J-kid

I know who you are talking about he faced the other guy charged him and got knocked/slamed down or something next thing you know he is getting punched on and elbowed on the ground and he is tapping.

OP
K

Kroy

No it wasnt Steve Jennum (he was pretty good) I'll have to probe a little deeper but I'm sure that there was some guy in the earlier UFC's that was Ninjitsu. I think it may have been Pat Smith that beat him.:confused:

OP
P

pknox

Originally posted by Kroy
No it wasnt Steve Jennum (he was pretty good) I'll have to probe a little deeper but I'm sure that there was some guy in the earlier UFC's that was Ninjitsu. I think it may have been Pat Smith that beat him.:confused:

That's Scott Morris in UFC 2 -- see my post above.

OP
M

M F

He also went on to win UFC 4 as well.

Royce Gracie won UFC 4. Jennum only won UFC 3. He won a match in UFC 4 and withdrew due to injury, I believe.

OP
P

pknox

Originally posted by M F
Royce Gracie won UFC 4. Jennum only won UFC 3. He won a match in UFC 4 and withdrew due to injury, I believe.

You are correct. I mistyped - my post should have said "he went on to win a match in UFC4 as well." If I remember correctly, Royce choked Severn out in the final match after something like 15 minutes.

r erman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Quick clarification. Jennum claimed Ninjutsu in UFC 3. In UFC 4 he claimed taijutsu, which is a generic term, synonomous with jujutsu, that is most often used to describe the unarmed(or lightly armed)methods of combat in ninpo. I don't think he ever claimed TKD.

OP
K

Kroy

Has anyone ever what Jennum is up to since UFC 4?

OP
K

Kroy

You know the UFC has come along way since its genesis but I truly loved the old days when they put the different styles against each other. Truly brutal.:EG:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know the UFC has come along way since its genesis but I truly loved the old days when they put the different styles against each other. Truly brutal.:EG:

Yeah, I agree! The old ones definately kicked butt! Seems like everybody that fights now is pretty much from the same background.

Mike

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by MJS
Yeah, I agree! The old ones definately kicked butt! Seems like everybody that fights now is pretty much from the same background.

Mike

That would be because the rules are designed to turn the "fight" into a submission grappling competition w/ strikes, but people did not realize this at first. It was funny to see unsuspecting stand-up stylists in the beginning who had no idea what they were getting into. It made for some interesting matches for sure.

Now, everybody knows what's up. Nobody would get into the cage w/o grappling experience now a days!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
That would be because the rules are designed to turn the "fight" into a submission grappling competition w/ strikes, but people did not realize this at first. It was funny to see unsuspecting stand-up stylists in the beginning who had no idea what they were getting into. It made for some interesting matches for sure.

Now, everybody knows what's up. Nobody would get into the cage w/o grappling experience now a days!

You're right! It was funny to see stand up guys, get into the ring, thinking that the art that they spent the past x-number of years doing, was going to come out on top, only to very quickly end up on the ground, and flap around like a fish out of water. Look at the 2nd UFC, Royce Gracies 1st fight with that Japanese guy.

Mike

OP
K

Kroy

One of my favorites was when some big Judo/Jiujitsu practitioner elbowed Olando Weight (I think thats his name) into lala land.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of my favorites was when some big Judo/Jiujitsu practitioner elbowed Olando Weight (I think thats his name) into lala land.

Yes, that was Remco Pardeu (sp) He wasnt that good on his feet, but once he closed the distance and hit the mat, that was the beginning of the end for Orlando!

Mike

WesternCiv

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
IIRC Jennum listed his background as RBWI (Robert Bussey Warrior International).

Or am I thinking of someone else?

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I see this was resurrected from a long time ago...

I'd like to point out that Mr. Jennum was brought in as an alternate to replace Gracie following the Kimo Leopoldo vs. Royce Gracie bout where Gracie won but was too injured to move on to the finals.

In this event Jennum only won one match in the days of the Tournament style UFC where you had to go through several folks in one day...it jsut happened to be the right one.

Howard was (perhaps still is) a phenomenal fighter who's goal was to fight Gracie, and that was it, he figured it wasn't worth getting all bloodied up for not fighting Gracie...at least that was his story in '95 when I got to talk to him at a Buffalo Tournament...very big man.

Latest Discussions