UFC 106 postfight: White says call Kizer to fix scoring issues

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
11-23-2009 09:15 AM:

The momentum builds with each close fight. Many fans and media members are looking for answers on how to fix what they think is a problem, inconsistent judging in mixed martial arts. That's if there is a problem. Forrest Griffin and Tito Ortiz engaged in a back and forth fight for two rounds before Griffin rolled in the third at UFC 106. The decision (30-27, 29-28 and 28-29) went to Griffin. Frankly it wouldn't have been outrageous had it gone to Ortiz. When fighters don't try to finish fights these things happens. Boxing has a long history of close fights and close decisions don't always mean they're controversial, yet for UFC president Dana White the complaining hurled his way is getting old (2:15 mark):

"I don't even know, I'm so exhausted by this whole thing," White said during the postfight press conference. "It's tiring. It's terrible. These athletic commissions need to start looking at this and figure out what they're going to do."

White said fans should contact the head of the nation's leading commission, Keith Kizer, the executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

"It has nothing to do with me. You should see the emails I get, 'you scumbag, you're just like Don King.' That's what people think. People think that we pick who's going to win or lose and tell the commission to do it."

Ron Kruck from HDNet, one of the loudest critics of MMA scoring, complained again on Sunday with a tweet:

Reacting to the Lyoto Machida decision win over Mauricio Rua at UFC 104, Kruck exploded on Twitter saying White needed to fix things. Maybe he meant Kizer. Kizer told Cagewriter on Thursday that there are no issues (4:05 mark):

"These fights are very well-matched. It's incredible. Plus you only have three or five rounds at most so there's not a lot of room for variance. So you have one close round, that could make a big difference."

Kizer said there's always going to be issues where the outcome of a sport is subjective. He's pleased with ongoing effort by the judges to improve their knowledge and said competitive, close fights are a good thing for the sport.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions