Tuite Kumite

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How does your dojo practice your tuite techniques in kumite? Do you ever get to the point where you free spar? If so, how so?

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tuite being used in jiyu kumite can get dangerous real fast I would say more like Yakusoku kumite would be better.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does the lack of free sparring hinder one's development of tuite? Or are the safer, more regimented exercises good enough?

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tuite being used in jiyu kumite can get dangerous real fast I would say more like Yakusoku kumite would be better.

ya I think I agree, if you dont have really good controle it would get very dangerous very very fast! Yakusoku kumite would be better, or posibly say 1/2 speed or so very controled free sparring. ..

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Does the lack of free sparring hinder one's development of tuite? Or are the safer, more regimented exercises good enough?
I don't think it hinders the development I mean never used it in kumite and yet now I can react to a expected attack but it took a lot and I mean a lot repetition and building slow to fast to get that way.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We do allow full locks and takedowns during jiyu kumite for brown belt and above. You are expected to take care of yourself by tapping when needed.

Pressure point and nerve strikes are never allowed on a fellow student although they are taught as part of the curriculum.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do allow full locks and takedowns during jiyu kumite for brown belt and above. You are expected to take care of yourself by tapping when needed.

Pressure point and nerve strikes are never allowed on a fellow student although they are taught as part of the curriculum.

there are times that we also allow such things, again for brown belts and above... but it is very much expected that you will use controle and take care of your partner and yourself.... still gota be carefull!