TSA Modifies Pat-Downs Of Kids

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43496079/ns/travel-news/

The government has made a change in its policy for patting down young children at airport checkpoints, and more are promised.

Airport security workers will now be told to make repeated attempts to screen young children without resorting to invasive pat-downs, the head of the Transportation Security Administration said Wednesday. The agency is working to put that change in place around the country, and it should reduce, but not eliminate, pat-downs for children, an agency spokesman said.

Hmm....something tells me that there will still be issues with this.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Considering that they can't train their people on a consistent policy towards people with cameras, I highly doubt they'll stop molesting kids. The TSA is anything BUT consistent in abiding by their own rules.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly! So, they're going to make repeated attempts to screen the kids= translation: they're going to sound like a broken record, and harass the parents into making them place their kids in the body scanner.

They're going to reduce but not eliminate the patdowns= translation: nothing will change and the kids will be subjected to the same thing adults are.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, the kids will be subjected to repeated immersions into a device that exposes one to excess radiation, that has flawed reports, where the TSA screeners are not allowed to wear rad counters to check them for exposure. Kids with smaller bodies will take a proportionately higher dose on each pass.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Exactly! So, they're going to make repeated attempts to screen the kids= translation: they're going to sound like a broken record, and harass the parents into making them place their kids in the body scanner.

They're going to reduce but not eliminate the patdowns= translation: nothing will change and the kids will be subjected to the same thing adults are.

All the same, I think it's a very nice gesture toward those who have raised concerns.

As empty gestures go. :banghead:

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
The TSA needs to be completely re-evaluated.

They don't seem to do much besides cause a hassle and molest people.

How many real terrorists have they stopped?

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But they have accumulated a fine collection of tweezers and water bottles.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Couldn't the Feds save a few bucks by getting rid of TSA and Just hire more trained Air Marshals?

I think I'd rather see bad guys shot or locked up rather than felt up.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Couldn't the Feds save a few bucks by getting rid of TSA and Just hire more trained Air Marshals?

I think I'd rather see bad guys shot or locked up rather than felt up.

I assume you're talking about a Marshal doing the screening or are you talking about doing away with screening altogether?

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Marshals doing the screening. Sorry I wasn't clear on that my bad.

No problem. :) Yeah, I'd have no issues with that. I mean, anything is better than the current situation. Well, one would hope that'd be the case. :)

Now, for the sake of discussion, if Air Marshals were to conduct the screening, in your opinion, what changes, if any, would you like to see, compared to the current status?

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well I would think they would be better trained than the current TSA agents.
Not profiling per sey but more tuned in to what to be looking for. Not just random searches/screenings to (IMHO) meet a quota.
I would think they have time in different cities (around their riding in a plane schedule) so it could be some built in rotation system. then I would think things would be more standardized across the country.
Admittedly I'm not a LEO and haven't flown since last year. But both airports I went through were a little different and they were in the same state. So it makes me think there is no standard across the country.

Plus if you mix up the opperation it's less likely the bad guys would be able to figure out a routine.

Reactions: MJS
OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I would think they would be better trained than the current TSA agents.
Not profiling per sey but more tuned in to what to be looking for. Not just random searches/screenings to (IMHO) meet a quota.
I would think they have time in different cities (around their riding in a plane schedule) so it could be some built in rotation system. then I would think things would be more standardized across the country.
Admittedly I'm not a LEO and haven't flown since last year. But both airports I went through were a little different and they were in the same state. So it makes me think there is no standard across the country.

Plus if you mix up the opperation it's less likely the bad guys would be able to figure out a routine.

Sounds like a good plan to me. :) We dont fly as much as others do, so I'm not that bothered, though I will say the last time we flew, which was to Vegas, I wanted to choke a few of the TSA people, and that was before we left CT. LOL. The stupidity and rudeness of some, was amazing.

IMO, I think the biggest things with TSA currently are: the lack of standardized training, picking and choosing what they do, when they do it, and to whom they do it to, and overall being unprofessional, to name a few things.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Better trained, atuned to certain cues. Sounds like Ben Gurion, which apparently can't happen in the US because the US is special

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Back to basics I say...they haven't caught anything with the "Enhanced" pat downs..and its been nearly a year and there has been no big bads, and have done enough molesting as it is.

Get rid of it!

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eh...

They wanna xray me into a glow-in-the-dark figurine... fine.
They wanna jumble my jubblies like a pair of dice... fine. Might even get a date out of it.
They wanna go through all my junk one piece at a time... fine.

They touch my stepdaughters... that's a whole other story. There will be video on the web before I get on the plane, phone calls to any & everybody I can think of...

Now they make a 95 year old remove an adult diaper??? I really think it (the TSA) should be removed. Just done away with period. Put trained, common sense exercising (or at least exposed to common sense) LEOs in place.

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Eh...

They wanna xray me into a glow-in-the-dark figurine... fine.
They wanna jumble my jubblies like a pair of dice... fine. Might even get a date out of it.
They wanna go through all my junk one piece at a time... fine.

They touch my stepdaughters... that's a whole other story. There will be video on the web before I get on the plane, phone calls to any & everybody I can think of...

Now they make a 95 year old remove an adult diaper??? I really think it (the TSA) should be removed. Just done away with period. Put trained, common sense exercising (or at least exposed to common sense) LEOs in place.

Couldn't agree with this more. Children need to be left alone...it could be so tramatizing to children

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Remember. We are "at war". There is "a constant threat". "THEY" are "everywhere."

So we must expend billions and billions of dollars.
We must see you naked.
We must rub your and your spouce and your kids private parts.
We must limit you to 3oz of any single item.
We must have you partially strip in public.
We must hire thousands of poorly trained, minimally qualified, and often criminal types to do this, who will often steal from you with no recourse.
We will check a random selection of cargo and regularly steal from that too.

We do this for your safety!
You will be safe.
You will not question.
You will make sure your 9 yr old daughter wears some perfume on her pooter.
You will not take pictures.
We will.
And we promise you that only those with the highest security will see them in the rest room later as we rub one out.

We Are Legion. We. Are. The. TSA.

Now drop your pants, it's screening time! *Snap*

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Remember. We are "at war". There is "a constant threat". "THEY" are "everywhere."

So we must expend billions and billions of dollars.
We must see you naked.
We must rub your and your spouce and your kids private parts.
We must limit you to 3oz of any single item.
We must have you partially strip in public.
We must hire thousands of poorly trained, minimally qualified, and often criminal types to do this, who will often steal from you with no recourse.
We will check a random selection of cargo and regularly steal from that too.

We do this for your safety!
You will be safe.
You will not question.
You will make sure your 9 yr old daughter wears some perfume on her pooter.
You will not take pictures.
We will.
And we promise you that only those with the highest security will see them in the rest room later as we rub one out.

We Are Legion. We. Are. The. TSA.

Now drop your pants, it's screening time! *Snap*

BAWHWHAHAH... except there will be no *SNAP* without dinner, movie & flowers first...