Tripods?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had typed a bunch already, damn laptop ate it.....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunpak-6601TM-Tri-Monopod/11085669

I bought that thing today (and I recall it was much more, like twice that price? It's going back!)

Anyhow, I am not really thrilled with it, the tripod is ok, it has two mounting plates, but when you pull the mono part out, it's rather flimsy.

(I thought it was a 2fer pack....sigh)

I am considering getting the Targus one....

Any pointers?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had typed a bunch already, damn laptop ate it.....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunpak-6601TM-Tri-Monopod/11085669

I bought that thing today (and I recall it was much more, like twice that price? It's going back!)

Anyhow, I am not really thrilled with it, the tripod is ok, it has two mounting plates, but when you pull the mono part out, it's rather flimsy.

(I thought it was a 2fer pack....sigh)

I am considering getting the Targus one....

Any pointers?

My biggest consideration was weight. I splurged for a carbon fiber tripod Because I wanted something light enough to take hiking with me And collapsible enough to fit in my pack.

I haven't been to fruit with equipment that served dual duty. I bought a hiking stick to a supposed to double as a monopod.... it broke as soon as I un pack the box.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
should have tried the Targus one. it really looks like one of them hiking sticks, just with the mounting screw on top! (no tilting for portrait format...but hey, 15 bucks...)

I am not planning on hiking with it - yet.
but this photography thing is running away with me. I might as well just suck it up and go 'pro grade' which I am sure the Walmart tripod is not either.

But I am rather annoyed that the thing rang up for 50 bucks in the store, and online it retails fro 30, plus free shipping. So not amused!.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't use tripods much myself. Check out B&H or Adorama though.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Much like lenses, you get what you pay for. I used a cheap tripod for a few years, and it was annoying every time I used it. So second time around I spent a bit more and went with a Manfrotto 055XB tripod and 496RC ball head. It's like night and day compared to the cheap tripod. Far more sturdy, no sagging with the ballhead, even with big lenses. This may be more than you want to spend, but this combo works well for me.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/523155-REG/Manfrotto_055XB_Tripod_Legs_Black.html

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Weight is correct; one must ensure that the weight rating of the tripod is not exceeded, or you will not get good stability. Second, check the height. Many tripods get to a 'decent' height by having a large extendable middle column. This is a bad idea; just look at it. It's like climbing a ladder and then holding a stick in the air and balancing your camera on the end of that stick. Compare that to if you just set your camera on the top rung of the ladder. So the 'legs' of the tripod should be long enough when fully extended to reach your eye-level. Shorter people luck out here, they can buy shorter tripods.

Most tripods sold in mass market retail stores are not designed with the needs of a serious photographer in mind. They're probably fine for compact cameras, point-n-shoots, that kind of thing.

B&H or Adorama are good places, as mentioned. They also have used sections - you can save some coin there. Used tripods are generally not worn out; pro photographers trade them in to get lighter carbon composite legs and other fancy hoo-hah and you can get some good sturdy aluminum legs for cheap. Manfrotto, as mentioned, is a good brand.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also try www.huntphoto.com - great selection, knowledgeable staff but still a family-owned business that was once. Drug store...until the owner's passion for photography took over the business. I buy my gear there and they have never let me down.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the advertisement, it does indeed look like two separate items. But the writeup says only one. Monopods are meant to be held straight up most of the time, but can be used at a slight tilt. I have never been in favor of them since I can use my tripod as a monopod, but can't use a monopod as a tripod. That's just me.

Like all things photographic, everyone has a personal choice. Mine is the aluminum Velbon tripods with aluminum lever releases, such as this; http://www.ebay.com/itm/VELBON-SEF-...373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bd6b9e3d but that doesn't mean I would recommend paying that much for one. Maybe tripods have just come up in value on ebay, but they didn't used to cost that much used. They also have a version (sorry, I don't recall the number) where you not only get the pan tilt at the top of the column, but the column also tilts 90 degrees. You can then use it to move closer to your subject if need be, by 'raising' the comumn. I find it quite useful. For closeups inside the tripod legs, there is a screw at the bottom of the column, or you can unscrew it and reverse the column.

I also find the aluminum tripods rather light and easy to carry, but still quite sturdy. I can us MF cameras on them with no problem. I have even used LF in a pinch, but don't really recommend it. But not everyone would agree, being that no one else has suggested them.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Monopods are meant to be held straight up most of the time, but can be used at a slight tilt. I have never been in favor of them since I can use my tripod as a monopod, but can't use a monopod as a tripod. That's just me.

I have found a few - only a few - times when a monopod was a very good thing to have. I typically do not carry one unless I think I'm going to be facing those situations.

The first I can recall is at the zoo. Long lenses and wonky light make stabilization a good idea, but tripods are banned - people can trip over them. Monopod worked great.

The second was taking photos at a dance contest. Fast-moving people, low light, and again a crowd that would have tripped over and/or objected to me dragging a tripod around. A monopod was just the ticket. By draping the camera strap around my neck and bracing the base of the monopod on the edge of my shoe, I could move, tilt, pan, and quickly relocated my position and still have some degree of stabilization.

But I do agree that monopod practicality is limited.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I returned then offending item to the store. :)

and then I went to have some prints made. By the time I mad my way to the photo desk with prints in hand the tripod was laying there on the counter 'is that yours, too?' :lol: Nowai lady, I just returned that!

I am going to shoot by hand tonight. I guess I am over thinking it all. I won't be using the long lens or do anything fancy. Just a bunch of old guys in aprons.... ;)

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Had enough comments and pics from FB friends showing up my FB feed about the upcoming Magic Mike movie, glad this thread isn't regarding that movie.

Latest Discussions