Training With The Instructor of Your Choice

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you could have the chance to train with the instructor(s) of your choice for one day each, who would you choose, why would you choose them and what would you cover in the lesson? If you choose an instructor that is deceased, assume that you had the chance to train with them prior.

For me, I'd choose the following:

SGM Ed Parker: The founder of American Kenpo. The man was a wealth of knowledge. Having the chance to meet him, as well as hear about the history of the art, and where he envisioned the art in the future, would be a huge honor. I would want to start off with the basics, making sure that I was applying and executing the various movements properly and how to better apply them. Eventually build off of that to more advanced ideas/concepts.

GM Remy Presas: The founder of Modern Arnis. I have had the chance to meet and train with him at a few seminars. The knowledge, skill, speed and strength of the man was something that would have to be seen and felt. Again, I'd want to cover the basic movements, covering ways to improve them and get the most out of them, and eventually moving on to more advanced ideas.

Rickson Gracie: Gracie JJ. Never had the chance to meet him, but it would be great to have the chance to hear more about the art of BJJ, hear what it was like growing up in the family, training with his father. I'd want to start out covering the basic positions, working on ways to maintain them more effectively, work on flowing from one position to the next, as well as working offensive and defensive movements.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm in agreement with you those are rgeat people but my person would be Bruce Lee he was way before his time and had the ideal of mastering every single movement. I believe he could bring out the best in anybody. So that is why I would train with him.
Terry

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would just love to train with Uncle Bill again. It's extremely fun and you get to learn almost everything just by watching him.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ed Parker, Bruce Lee, Gokor, Helio Gracie, Mas Oyama, Musashi Miyamoto

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
I would just love to train with Uncle Bill again. It's extremely fun and you get to learn almost everything just by watching him.

Not too familiar with Silat, but what did you cover the last time you saw him?

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
phlaw said:
Ed Parker, Bruce Lee, Gokor, Helio Gracie, Mas Oyama, Musashi Miyamoto

Anything in particular you'd like to cover with these people?

Mike

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My First Choice: Huk Planas

Study Topic: Delayed Sword

I had a private lesson with Mr. Planas last week. We worked on Long Form 2 and he just destroyed my understanding of the Form. I thought I knew what I was doing. I have been working this Form for 4 years. Items that I thought I understood, and comprehended were shown to me in a new light.

During my first private lesson with Mr. Planas, a few years back, I asked to start working at the Yellow Belt chart, and he said "Ok, but I was watching you do Form 4, just now, and let's clean up some of that first." For the next six private lessons, we were cleaning up Form 4. And I'm sure there is still a lot of clean up to go. :)

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shugoro Nakazato, Sensei, Shoshin Nagamine, Sensei, Matayoshi Sensei (kobudo), probably a few others though.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i'll have to think on tis one or a day because I have had the privlage of training with most of the people I wanted to learn from . Not saying there are not ant more out there I want to study with but picking one would be hard

patroldawg27

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, Helio Gracie are choices I would pick too! I would also love to train with Dennis Alexio and Don "The Dragon" Wilson in kickboxing. Also the late "F-14" Alex Gong.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sheesh, I feel like a kid in a candy store. Yes, I'll take one of these and one of those, and one of these....

Vince Lombardi. Not a martial artist but among the finest coaches ever. I would love to go through a 1 day workout under his guidance, pushing me, stretching me, inspiring me.

Dr. Ron Chapél...basics and anatomical mechanics. After trading posts with Doc here, I'd love to actually see what he is talking about.

Mr. Dennis Conaster...anything he wants to teach. Every time I see something he writes, it's like a light goes on in my head...he makes Kenpo so much easier to understand.

Mr. Huk Planas. What Michael said. Starting with Delayed Sword and Short 1, proceeding till...mental collapse, most likely.

Professor Joe Shuras...sparring and boxing. That is, if I could actually bring myself to start sparring.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
beau_safken said:

Hey Beau,

I'll be training with Bapak in 26 days. YES!!!

Latest Discussions