Training Knives: Folders

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just got out of the garage, finished these training versions of 2 popular folder designs. They're not for sale (for my own personal enjoyment), just thought I'd share them with you. I think they came out pretty good, what do you think? And NO they don't really fold!

Thanks

Andy

Attachments

• $folders2.jpg
    $folders2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 257

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice, Andy! You gotta bring those Friday! The bigger one looks like my old Gerber Gator.

Cthulhu

M

M F

The bottom one looks like my Emerson Commander sans Wave. Nice job. The Delica(looks too small to be Endura) is nice too. You sure we couldn't talk you into selling some?:D

edited to say.
On second thought the top one does look big enough to be an Endura.

OP
arnisandyz

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks! The "inspiration" for the top one was the Spyderco Endura and the bottom one was the Emerson Commander. Since these are trainers I left out alot of detail on purpose like the wave hook, thumb stud, etc to make it smoother for training, so nothing catches.

M F - I'm not openly selling these designs yet, this was kind of my first prototype run, and I keep all of my first knives. I do sell others like dagger, tanto, kerambit, neck knife. I also want to check the legallity of reproducing something so identifiable. PM me for more details!

I was considering just wrapping with paracord, but figured the extra time and materials for the scales were worth it. If I were to sell these, do you think I should sell them with paracord wrap to bring the cost down, or with the scales and charge a little more? Probably a difference of $5.00. $25 or $30? (still less than what other makers are charging for similar sized knives).

Thanks

Andy

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When you're ready to start selling these and you need some exposure, let me know and I'll do some reviews for you.

M

M F

I would take Phil up on his offer. He does great reviews and posts link to them at a lot of knife and self defense related websites. It would definitely be good for business.

OP
arnisandyz

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Phil. I have to really decide what i want to do with these. I do it mainly as a hobby (and so that that I can have nice toys:) right now I enjoy making them for myself and friends while making a few bucks here and there. I'm not sure if I want to make a big business out of it. Its hard enough fitting time in with the family, training and my regular job. If I got a lot of response on these knives my wife and kid would never see me!

Andy

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got to play with Andy's new folder trainers and they are very nice. Great feel...very different from dagger and tanto styled trainers. If you owned and carried one of the knives the trainers were based off, these trainers would be very beneficial for your training, allowing you to train with a blade more like your carry knife.

Instead of his usual paracord braid, these trainers had plastic scales riveted on. I think some people may prefer countersunk rivets, but I didn't experience any handling problems with the exposed rivets. The only minor problem I really saw was with a slight burr on one edge of the grip, which could be easily grinded off.

Too bad he isn't planning on selling these. The folder design makes for a much more realistic feel, since I believe more people walk around with concealed folders than 12" tanto and daggers. :)

BTW, he also had a nice bolo trainer. Nice, tip heavy blade for a great chopping feel.

Cthulhu

Latest Discussions