training in cold weather...

micah

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i want to hang my bag outside in my backyard , as i dont have enuogh room inside, especially for kicks, ... do u think working out and training outside in colder weather can affter the joints and muscles? im thinking it will be ok if i stretch and warm up inside then head outside... i would like the jump rope outside as well.. what do you think?

OP
M

micah

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well im in buffalo almost the same thing lol, i guess id be fine as long as i kept movement, just trying to see if there are any risks involved

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Be covered enough tho. I work in a milk cooler long enough to know that the heat the body generates during an effort is not always enough to warm you up.
Oh, I don't know if it is gonna happen to you too, but be ready for dizziness when you go back inside (when I am out long time in extreem cold and go back to room temperature I always feel extremely dizzy).

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I dont know about you but when I exert myself in cold weather and start breathing hard my lungs start to hurt from breathing in all the cold air.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have two thoughts on this: 1.) you should always prepare for the environment you are going to be working out in. You never know when or where you will have to fight so there is nothign wrong with training in every type of environment. 2.) Read about Mas Oyama, he did all kinds of insane training up in the mountains and it was much more insane than just working out in the cold.

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wouldnt worry too much about cold weather. If youre training hard enough you should generate enough heat and you wont freeze, I promise.

The only thing I would worry about is if you are training in -20F or something.

You should always stretch and warm up. I think a light jog outside after you stretch would do great.

If its really cold, dress in layers. that way as you heat up during training you can just peel them off.

Good luck!

Peace

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Buffalo... working out outside... in the winter....

Don't forget the snow shovel to find your bag. That in itself should be considered a good workout.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
thx all...

Zue Sheng... i just hope the bag doesnt freeze....

Oh it will. At the very least the outer covering will get hard as a rock in the bitter cold, and if it is a vinyl covered bag, take care so you do not crack, or rip it. Don't know how cold it gets in Buffalo, but up here nothing short of a leather bag would make it. Good luck, and it is a good idea.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This just popped into my noggin from Tung Ying Chieh’s red book as to what to do when training in cold weather.

After training put on warm cloths immediately after practice and do not sit down right afterwards walk around for a few minutes.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
do a harder work out (say, run a couple miles), strech out well, and keep moving and you'll bee fine. you'll also build up some cold resistence.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As the others have stated, start by warming up your body, getting the blood flowing, and do some stretching.

Heavy bags made from cloth or leather will be OK, but remember to condition the leather well in advance, as cold temperatures will dry it out even faster.

Wear the appropriate amount of insulation.

Listen to your body, too. If you notice that something's not quite right (lung aches from the cold air are normal), take a bit of time to rest, before resuming.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
thx all...

Zue Sheng... i just hope the bag doesnt freeze....

It happened to me.

I wasn't smart enough to check before giving it a full powered roundhouse.

The good news was that there was plenty of snow for an icepack and I didn't break anything.

The bad....... the bruise and swelling lasted over 2 weeks.

OP
M

micah

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It happened to me.

I wasn't smart enough to check before giving it a full powered roundhouse.

The good news was that there was plenty of snow for an icepack and I didn't break anything.

The bad....... the bruise and swelling lasted over 2 weeks.

ohhh ouch..

but yea as everyone said ill just keep moving for obvious reasons...part of the workout may be shoveling a spot so i can jump rope...i'll feel like Rocky in Russia

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The biggest challenge may be staying hydrated. In cold weather you are less likely to drink the water than you do when you are in hot weather.

As the temperature drops below 32, the water vapor in the air freezes. With no moisture in the air, a winter day in becomes as dry as a desert air in summer. This puts a particular demand on your body for fluids...but this demand is made at a time when drinking fluids seems like a bad idea.

Latest Discussions