Training for Sparring by Master Chen Zhaokui (Chen Style Taijiquan)

tberkery

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Tom and I learned some of a short form of what I was told was Chen style Tai Chi while I was in Oneonta NY this past summer.
I was not around long enough to learn any martial application from the form, but I would be interested in anyone's thoughts on how/ where to apply martial application into the form. How do I do Faijing? What is the purpose of Faijing? When do you strike in the form, and when do you not? Are there any basic underlying principles that I can learn?

Thank you very much for anyone's help, I greatly appreciate it.

Tom

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the links Xue!
icon14.gif

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Tom and I learned some of a short form of what I was told was Chen style Tai Chi while I was in Oneonta NY this past summer.
I was not around long enough to learn any martial application from the form, but I would be interested in anyone's thoughts on how/ where to apply martial application into the form. How do I do Faijing? What is the purpose of Faijing? When do you strike in the form, and when do you not? Are there any basic underlying principles that I can learn?

Thank you very much for anyone's help, I greatly appreciate it.

Tom

Probably not what you want to hear but you need to train the form for awhile first. Concentrate on it, relax in it and get the postures correct before you worry about applications and fajing in taijiquan. Without correct posture, focus and relaxation fajing will not work.

Formosa Neijia

Green Belt
Reaction score
So did anyone notice that the advice given was waaaaaay different from the usual party line on taiji usage? Is what Chen Zhao-kui said in accordance with the Yang style classics or not?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So did anyone notice that the advice given was waaaaaay different from the usual party line on taiji usage?

Yup, ain't it great :EG:

Is what Chen Zhao-kui said in accordance with the Yang style classics or not?

Why would it have to be in accordance with anything Yang? Chen Zhao Kui was 18th generation Chen family and a son of Chen Fake

But then I may not be the best to answer this, I have studied some Chen and my Yang Lineage comes form Tung Ying Chieh and we have 2 fast forms so fast and slow are trained.

I would get into more of how those came into existance but I do not want the Yang Lineage war that might come out of it. I got into this once on the Yang site and it was not pretty. If you are interested I will PM you.

Formosa Neijia

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why would it have to be in accordance with anything Yang?

True, but asking this is an interesting way to spark a discussion. That's what I was doing-- stirring the pot. I agree that the Yang classics are mainly for the Yang and yang-derivative styles. But they did come form chen style, at least in part.

The styles differ but in some ways they are very similar. And martially speaking, their historical usage was a bit different from the common perception. consider this:

"In 1923 I began the study of Taijiquan from Chen Weiming in Shanghai. Master Chen and his own teacher, Yang Chengfu were just the same. They loved to use ward-off and press to advance and attack."

http://www.nardis.com/~twchan/ph.html

Here we have evidence of the Yang family not practicing passive taiji push hands. different ffom the common perception.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
True, but asking this is an interesting way to spark a discussion. That's what I was doing-- stirring the pot. I agree that the Yang classics are mainly for the Yang and yang-derivative styles. But they did come form chen style, at least in part.

The styles differ but in some ways they are very similar. And martially speaking, their historical usage was a bit different from the common perception. consider this:

"In 1923 I began the study of Taijiquan from Chen Weiming in Shanghai. Master Chen and his own teacher, Yang Chengfu were just the same. They loved to use ward-off and press to advance and attack."

http://www.nardis.com/~twchan/ph.html

Here we have evidence of the Yang family not practicing passive taiji push hands. different ffom the common perception.

They most certainly have their root in Chen style and if we could only see what the original Yang looked like I am guessing you would see a lot more similarities. But allegedly Yang Jainhou changed it a bit and he was Yang Chengfu’s teacher who changed it as well so much of the obvious Chen stuff was gone by the time Yang Chengfu started teaching, after Yang Shaohou died.

But Yang Chengfu may have been working towards returning some of this to Yang and I believe he was. The first fast form from Tung Ying Chieh comes directly form discussions he had with Yang Chengfu.

So would Yang Chengfu agreed or disagreed with Chen Zhao Kui? I am currently of the belief that he may have agreed a lot more than the current Yang family would like to admit.