tradition of wearing your new blackbelt for 24 hours

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
In our system, when you earn your brown belt, and again when you earn your black belt, you are required to wear it for 24 hours before you take it off for the first time. This is all inclusive for showering, work, sleep, etc.. you are not supposed to take it off. It is supposed to represent how the rank you have just attained becomes part of your life inside and outside of the dojo. Do all arts practise this or is it only some that do it?

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of that tradition before. I got my belt in EPAK.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been in more than a few arts and school and had never heard that one before

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have not heard of that. But that is ok I have not heard of lots of things. ;) :)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I have not heard of that. But that is ok I have not heard of lots of things. ;) :)
Like Rich I've not heard of a lot of things either... including that.

Basically I think it's going a bit too far ... to wear your BB in the shower/to bed/everywhere... that is a bit much. What if I were a salesman and needed to meet with a CEO of an important client/customer ... you got a black belt around your suit or under it and the knot is making that particular bulge... how you gonna explain that?

"uh, this? Oh...umm it's my Black Belt and my Sensei says I have to wear it or else.. heh... kind cool huh? are you ... umm in Martial Arts too? heh...umm you wanna spar?"

Besides ... it's not the belt.. it's the time, effort, heart, and dedication you put into earning it that matters.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:

Same here...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, This is a homemade tradition for your school only. They miss the meaning of what it is to earn a Black Belt.

Wearing a belt for 24 hours? ....serves no purpose other than a homemade traditon.

The Belt should be worn only in class/seminars/training places...not paraded around. ...again it is your teacher who decides the rules...Aloha

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think about 5 mins was maybe it.... ok, not that long. Got it, put it on, went and got changed.

That seems a little silly to me as well, and would definately get you some funny looks at the important business meeting the next day ;)

Besides, there is a contradiction here and with that other "tradition" of not washing your belt, how can you shower? :D

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
new one to me, ours are worn maybe 10 mins long enough to do the after test pictures bat around and joke all the new ranks and then off to change

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Are sure it wasn't a joke, alittle leg pulling now that you have Dan rank? Kinda like asking for chem-lite batteries in the Military..?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've not heard of that one, either. As much as I WANTED to sleep with my black belt when I got it, I didn't.:)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dark said:
Are sure it wasn't a joke, alittle leg pulling now that you have Dan rank? Kinda like asking for chem-lite batteries in the Military..?
I think you hit on it Dark... t'was a joke and they (were) falling for it. Geez...

OP
donna

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
Its one of the rules of our dojo that is strictly adhered to.

thescottishdude

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've bever heard of that either. I wouldn't say ot was silly though. Probobly just a local club thing. the sensi's techer probobly did the same thing for a laugh and its just been handed down.