Tournament time..... :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Alrighty, been a little while folks!

Alot has settled down and reopened over here, and I'm entering a tournament!!!

I wanted to compete at least once this year, and having been a part of my new club since late last year, I feel more confident entering seeing as though we've been sparring alot, whereas the last few years of competing I hadn't had much practice or proper sparring training.

Same tournament circuit as the last few (all styles), I've put in to enter the forms division (Advanced 5th kyu to 1st kyu), point sparring (Advanced 5th kyu to 1st kyu), and for the first time the continuous sparring (Advanced 5th kyu to Black Belt) division as well (1.5 minute round, not stopping after scoring techniques). Planning on doing kata Sanseiru in the forms division, a form I feel very connected with and have worked on quite alot.

I can't believe the last time I competed was 2018 😮. It's this Sunday, am super nervous but really excited! And very proud to represent my new dojo :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I wanted to compete at least once this year, and having been a part of my new club since late last year, I feel more confident entering seeing as though we've been sparring alot, whereas the last few years of competing I hadn't had much practice or proper sparring training.

Same tournament circuit as the last few (all styles), I've put in to enter the forms division (Advanced 5th kyu to 1st kyu), point sparring (Advanced 5th kyu to 1st kyu), and for the first time the continuous sparring (Advanced 5th kyu to Black Belt) division as well (1.5 minute round, not stopping after scoring techniques). Planning on doing kata Sanseiru in the forms division, a form I feel very connected with and have worked on quite alot.

I can't believe the last time I competed was 2018 😮. It's this Sunday, am super nervous but really excited! And very proud to represent my new dojo :)
Go have some fun, Simon. And good fortune in all your competitions.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Osu, good luck, Simon ! I'm interested in hearing about your experience, especially in the continuous sparring category. I'm assuming it isn't KD but it sounds interesting none the less.

I've entered into a tournament myself this weekend. Tamashiwari for charity.

Don't be nervous and have a good time !

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Osu, good luck, Simon ! I'm interested in hearing about your experience, especially in the continuous sparring category. I'm assuming it isn't KD but it sounds interesting none the less.

And best of luck in your tournament, Yokozuna514. :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Osu thanks so much mate! Yeah not knockdown rules but only light contact to the body and legs too, excited to do leg kicks haha, face attacks allowed but no contact to face. But will let you know how it all goes. I know it's not so much about racking up "points", but ringcraft, clear and clean technique, but who dominates the match essentially.

That's amazing have an awesome time, I love tameshiwari!!!

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
WOW... what a day.

Am over the moon haha.

Got gold in both forms and point sparring divisions!!!! And made it through to the finals in continuous sparring but couldn't win the final, so 2nd place silver. 3 bloody hard rounds I had to get through though haha, I am hurrrrrrting now haha. Very very emotional, and so happy with how it all went. The respect and comradery between all my fellow competitors was just so touching, and made some good friends who were an honour to share the mat with 🙏

And my divisions were as follows:
- Forms division we had 5 people. Only 1 round. Did Sanseiru and it went really well, I did have one stuffup though which I was annoyed at haha and thought the judges would notice bigtime! Some other fellow competitors did some much higher ranked kata which was surprising (Kururunfa, usually a 3rd dan kata, and Shisochin), so I was concerned about that! I honestly did not think I would get gold or silver, maybe bronze but when they announced 3rd and 2nd place and said my name for 1st place ahh.. was taken aback and so thrilled! Worked so hard on this kata, and happy with how I performed it.

- Points sparring had 4 people in it, and I had to fight 2 rounds. Was soooo happy with how I fought, WORLDS different to some of my other tournaments! Even though I was nervous I found ways to stay really relaxed during my matches, breaking away and even just shaking my shoulders down really helped dissipate tension. I felt so fluid and quick, and I think I won my matches by quite a lead. Surprisingly I didn't use any sweeps, and I was so planning to haha! I did use alot more hook kicks to the head than I thought I would, and they actually worked beautifully, my second opponent just had no idea what to do with them! Very emotional after winning this one!

- Continuous sparring was 7 people, had to endure 3 very tough rounds! I'd never competed in this division before, and I tell ya, it was tough haha. Controlled contact basically, but we went pretty hard still! My first match went great, and I was able to control the bout really well. I made sure to pace myself and work the ring, use angles, and importantly I didn't hesitate. Was really proud of myself for that, I was able to summon a real drive and aggression when needed, and pounce on any openings and opportunities.

At this point, something had tweaked in my left hip which I was a bit worried about... just hurt, but I just tried to stay limber and keep moving.

Second opponent was quite tricky.. and he actually didn't show much control. He barreled in and kicked almost full power and he got warned a few times by the referee. He settled a bit from then, I got alot of good shots in, and I think he exhausted himself a bit so I really took advantage of that. Still shocked I won that one at the time!

So at this point I made the finals! I actually knew the guy who I was facing, I'd actually trained with him before, SUPER nice guy and so respectful. This round I really really struggled, and gassed out rather early. My energy just dipped massively and I was steamrolled a bit. And this fellow was an absolute machine and definitely had more gas in the tank than me I think haha. He clearly won and honestly it was so well deserved.

That final match... was so much fun though. We both acknowledged when the other made good clean hits, and we found ourselves smiling while fighting. Even in the midst of a close in battle, flurries of punches and leg kicks, we were smiling. Will never forget that moment :)
20220619_132636.jpg
20220619_132839.jpg
20220619_133301.jpg

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
WOW... what a day.

Am over the moon haha.

Got gold in both forms and point sparring divisions!!!! And made it through to the finals in continuous sparring but couldn't win the final, so 2nd place silver. 3 bloody hard rounds I had to get through though haha, I am hurrrrrrting now haha. Very very emotional, and so happy with how it all went. The respect and comradery between all my fellow competitors was just so touching, and made some good friends who were an honour to share the mat with 🙏

- Forms division we had 5 people. Only 1 round. Did Sanseiru and it went really well, I did have one stuffup though which I was annoyed at haha and thought the judges would notice bigtime! Some other fellow competitors did some much higher ranked kata which was surprising (Kururunfa, usually a 3rd dan kata, and Shisochin), so I was concerned about that! I honestly did not think I would get gold or silver, maybe bronze but when they announced 3rd and 2nd place and said my name for 1st place ahh.. was taken aback and so thrilled! Worked so hard on this kata, and happy with how I performed it.

- Points sparring had 4 people in it, and I had to fight 2 rounds. Was soooo happy with how I fought, WORLDS different to some of my other tournaments! Even though I was nervous I found ways to stay really relaxed during my matches, breaking away and even just shaking my shoulders down really helped dissipate tension. I felt so fluid and quick, and I think I won my matches by quite a lead. Surprisingly I didn't use any sweeps, and I was so planning to haha! I did use alot more hook kicks to the head than I thought I would, and they actually worked beautifully, my second opponent just had no idea what to do with them! Very emotional after winning this one!

- Continuous sparring was 7 people, had to endure 3 very tough rounds! I'd never competed in this division before, and I tell ya, it was tough haha. Controlled contact basically, but we went pretty hard still! My first match went great, and I was able to control the bout really well. I made sure to pace myself and work the ring, use angles, and importantly I didn't hesitate. Was really proud of myself for that, I was able to summon a real drive and aggression when needed, and pounce on any openings and opportunities.

At this point, something had tweaked in my left hip which I was a bit worried about... just hurt, but I just tried to stay limber and keep moving.

Second opponent was quite tricky.. and he actually didn't show much control. He barreled in and kicked almost full power and he got warned a few times by the referee. He settled a bit from then, I got alot of good shots in, and I think he exhausted himself a bit so I really took advantage of that. Still shocked I won that one at the time!

So at this point I made the finals! I actually knew the guy who I was facing, I'd actually trained with him before, SUPER nice guy and so respectful. This round I really really struggled, and gassed out rather early. My energy just dipped massively and I was steamrolled a bit. And this fellow was an absolute machine and definitely had more gas in the tank than me I think haha. He clearly won and honestly it was so well deserved.

That final match... was so much fun though. We both acknowledged when the other made good clean hits, and we found ourselves smiling while fighting. Even in the midst of a close in battle, flurries of punches and leg kicks, we were smiling. Will never forget that moment :)View attachment 28553View attachment 28554View attachment 28555
Congratulations! Good job.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
WOW... what a day.

Am over the moon haha.

That final match... was so much fun though. We both acknowledged when the other made good clean hits, and we found ourselves smiling while fighting. Even in the midst of a close in battle, flurries of punches and leg kicks, we were smiling. Will never forget that moment :)View attachment 28553View attachment 28554View attachment 28555
Congratulations, Simon ! Nice work and nice report from the event !

Osu !

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Simon.....wearing so much hardware he could open a jewelry store!

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone!!! I'm still on a high haha.. so I qualify for the state championships in October. Just to decide whether to go for it.... I think I may ;)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
The state championships were yesterday!!!

And... I didn't enter haha. Was on the fence leading up to it, but ultimately decided not to compete. Had my grading last week and alot of other stuff going on, my body/mind has been through the ringer lately, and being honest with myself I didn't wanna put my body through any more stress nor would it have been a good idea at all. No regrets and feel good about that decision. Time to rest and consolidate :)

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
The state championships were yesterday!!!

And... I didn't enter haha. Was on the fence leading up to it, but ultimately decided not to compete. Had my grading last week and alot of other stuff going on, my body/mind has been through the ringer lately, and being honest with myself I didn't wanna put my body through any more stress nor would it have been a good idea at all. No regrets and feel good about that decision. Time to rest and consolidate :)
I know exactly how you feel. I recently decided and undecided to compete again. Tourneys are fun but so much work. I'm so busy feeding people and paying bills.

If we get around to it great. I like to think every one comp is value for lifetime. The next one will come, if you're a fighter. It's your destiny.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know exactly how you feel. I recently decided and undecided to compete again. Tourneys are fun but so much work. I'm so busy feeding people and paying bills.

If we get around to it great. I like to think every one comp is value for lifetime. The next one will come, if you're a fighter. It's your destiny.
Oh awesome I had no idea you competed! Yeah exactly... it does cost cost alot of money and time. My aim was to compete at least once this year, and I've done that so I'm happy.

And absolutely, there is so much value in comps. Not only putting yourself in an environment not in your usual dojo and outside your comfort zone, but the training leading up to it you gain such perspective, and the comradery and meeting other like-minded folk is priceless.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Been a minute!

Did some cool circuits of late I'll post.

Wait... this is a tournament thread isn't it.. does that mean... WHOA whoa no need to jump to conclusions... but let's... keep it a secret for now...

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
-Sanseiru kata, rest 1m
-Shadowsparring 2m (focusing on footwork, agility and combinations), rest 1m
-Heavy bagwork 2m (focusing on distance, power and impact).

Rest and repeated 2 more times.

Latest Discussions