Tournament Results!!! Yippee!

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My daughter, Bonnie, and I both placed well in the Central NY Classic. :D :D

Bonnie won first place in forms and first place in sparring; she won second place in board-breaking (she forgot to introduce herself to the judges for board-breaking - oops!). She did Chil-Sung E Ro-Hyung and did very well with the form. She had some tough competition in sparring and should be very proud of herself. She sparred three rounds.

I won first place in board-breaking! I didn't try to break as many boards as I'd originally planned as I couldn't even break one at home (who knows why?). I broke two boards with an elbow strike, one with a hammer strike, and one with an inside/outside kick. I never aimed, just went for it :) Oh, we didn't use cinderblocks. We had gentlemen holding the boards for us.

Sparring was a blast. I won my first match, so I got to spar twice. The first place went to one of our school's white belts. She coaches women's basketball at the University of Binghamton and has studied Shotokan Karate. She's a fierce competitor and definitely deserved that first place. I was thrilled to get second.

Also, not too bad considering I'm more than twice the age of one of my competitors, and older than all of them!!!

I really liked our main judge, Master Tullier from Louisiana. What a fine person and very encouraging. He knew it was our first tournament and took the time to try and calm us a bit. He gave us lots of advice and tips for the future.

I believe we had somewhere in the neighborhood of 450 competitors. Next year, we have to find a larger arena. It was very well organized and a lot of fun.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I forgot to mention my form, Chil-Sung E Ro-Hyung. I goofed up on the chundan soo do makees and I'm sure my stances weren't the best - I was way too nervous. But I'm glad I gave it a go.

To tell you the truth, knowing I didn't do very well with the form makes me want to try harder.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations. You're efforts paid off!

Just a thought, if your daughter is under 16 you should be very wary of her doing destruction.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Congratulations. You're efforts paid off!

Just a thought, if your daughter is under 16 you should be very wary of her doing destruction.
Thank you, Field. I have been working hard at sparring - the classes are killers.

My daughter is 17. Actually, I don't like sparring her too much - she is fast and she hits HARD. She bruises everyone up pretty good ;) She makes us better when we spar with her.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I enjoy about reading Lynne's topics is the determined and positive outlook. Other people have bad things happen to them, or get the willies over new challenges.... and it's poor me, life's unfair, blah blah..... but this person is always looking for (and often finding) ways to succeed.

She finds the courage, wins - and still displays humility. Who couldn't learn from that?

Congrats on the win, wish both of you many more!

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GREAT JOB!!! Congratulations to you and your daughter!!!

I'm glad to hear that everything paid off, hopefully we have helped at least a little!

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
CONGRATS to you and your daughter both!!!! Now you know what to expect next time you do a copmetition and you can blow em out of the water!

MasterPistella

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations! I'm glad you had a good experience. One of my friends was there, but I could not make it this year. Maybe next time.:)

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You rock, Lynne. I'm glad this first tournament was such a smash hit (as it were :lol:) Excellent beginning to your tournament career!

claireg31

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hi lynne
sorry, i just logged back on, i'm so happy for both you and your daughter and glad it was a good experience for both of you, i could do with some of your positivity to rub off on some of our students!!
corgratulations once more!
claire

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I, on the other hand, got my butt whooped at this one. It was an educational experience, though, and I'll have my next shot at him soon enough. :jediduel:

My form (Bassai So) felt clean, but 6 of us had to lose out entirely, and some were flat out obviously better than me. Such is life. Would have liked to see more traditional forms, though. Since we mostly don't learn them till after 1st dan, I can't really tell very well what's a good Chil Sung form and what's a bad one, but that was pretty much all I saw going on, and I can't really compare my performance to theirs to shore up the weaknesses.