TOP 10 Heavyweights of all time!

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Who are on the top 10 Heavyweight Boxers on your list?

Here is mine.
  1. Joe Louis
  2. Muhammad Ali
  3. Evander Holyfield
  4. George Foreman
  5. Larry Holmes
  6. Mike Tyson
  7. Lennox Lewis
  8. Joe Frazier
  9. Rocky Marciano
  10. Jack Johnson

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Great list

Mike Tyson Though?
Maybe put at #11
Todd

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Zujitsuka said:
I like Joe Frazier and George Foreman, but one of them would have to give up a spot for Jack Dempsey.
I think Dempsey was a middle weight- If so dump Tyson. Not for the antics today, but back in the day who didi he fight?
Ali had Frazier
Foreman had ali
dempsey had tunney

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dempsey fought in the heavyweight division, but his weight would have put him in a lower weight class by todays standards. I want to say he fought around 185 or so, but my book is at home (Ring of pure fire, very good book on Dempsey and his boxing strategy along with his bio).

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, Dempsey was small compared to today's heavyweights. Marciano would have been considere a light heavy or a cruiser as well.

In regards to Kai's comments about Tyson, I agree that he didn't have an arch nemesis like Ali-Frazier or Dempsey-Tunney, but he was so incredibly dominant during his reign. Man he was incredible when he was training under Cus D'Amato (honorable mentions to Teddy Atlas, and Kevin Rooney).

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Zujitsuka said:
Yeah, Dempsey was small compared to today's heavyweights. Marciano would have been considere a light heavy or a cruiser as well.

In regards to Kai's comments about Tyson, I agree that he didn't have an arch nemesis like Ali-Frazier or Dempsey-Tunney, but he was so incredibly dominant during his reign. Man he was incredible when he was training under Cus D'Amato (honorable mentions to Teddy Atlas, and Kevin Rooney).
Now that was the Tyson I put on my list. The one that struck fear into his opponents.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is Tyson's downfall, he used to be so dominate and then went to prison (actually it was a juvenile home in Indiana) and wasn't his old self. Then he had the disaster of biting and other clown antics that he is now remembered for.

I still think "Mike Tyson's Punch Out" for nintendo was one of the funnest boxing games.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,
I think because George Foreman came back and fought different generations of fighters he has to go real close to the top of the list.
Larry Holmes also for his longivity...
The original top ten here is pretty good, reverse Lennox and Tyson.
I think we have to take the top ten and break it into various catagories.

Regards, Gary

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
punisher73 said:
That is Tyson's downfall, he used to be so dominate and then went to prison (actually it was a juvenile home in Indiana) and wasn't his old self. Then he had the disaster of biting and other clown antics that he is now remembered for.

I still think "Mike Tyson's Punch Out" for nintendo was one of the funnest boxing games.
I agree, too bad he snapped.

Mike Tyson's Punch Out, wasn't that such a fun game, I mean the sounds effects, the jumping up and down, it was hilarious.

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
GAB said:
reverse Lennox and Tyson.
Yes Lennox Lewis did beat Mike Tyson, but Tyson was already way past his prime, and so was Evander Holyfield for that matter. If Holyfield didn't get a draw in the first fight, the judges would have given him the second fight. I allot of boxing analyst think he won that one.

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What did you guys think of Vitali Klitschko.

did anyone see his fight Saturday with Danny Williams?

I read that he totally dominated the fight.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Even back in the day who did tyson fight that was good, or not over the hill. True he dominated, but look at his competition

Todd

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Even back in the day who did tyson fight that was good, or not over the hill. True he dominated, but look at his competition

Todd
Would you say that Lennox Lewis's list of opponents was better than Mike Tyson's?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Slightly

Tyson never had a tough fight untill Buster Douglas, even if ol' Buster was'nt that good.
Lewis, though the hvyweight division has declined for several years had to get up to the top
Todd

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Vitali Klitschko? He seems to fight in the old school way, like back when it was still bare knuckles. He seems awkward, but he somehow gets the job done. When I went to Thailand two years ago for vacation, I saw a picture of him doing Muay Thai. Can anyone confirm this?

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ali behind Joe Louis? Never in a million years. Joe couldn't think on his feet and Ali could. Ali would have kept him off balance with his jab and when Joe dropped his own left lead, Ali would've kept popping him with his straight right. Yes, Joe would have caught him with something sooner or later but so had Frazier and Foreman and he didn't drop from one punch (Frazier's was in the 15th round). Ali would've spanked Louis.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Ali behind Joe Louis? Never in a million years. Joe couldn't think on his feet and Ali could. Ali would have kept him off balance with his jab and when Joe dropped his own left lead, Ali would've kept popping him with his straight right. Yes, Joe would have caught him with something sooner or later but so had Frazier and Foreman and he didn't drop from one punch (Frazier's was in the 15th round). Ali would've spanked Louis.

Yours,
Dan Anderson
Hi Dan, I agree with you that Ali would have spanked Louis, but my original list was made based on the boxer’s era. I would have to agree that most of the guys on that list would have given the brown bomber more than he could have handled.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dragon Fist said:
Who are on the top 10 Heavyweight Boxers on your list?

Here is mine.
  1. Joe Louis
  2. Muhammad Ali
  3. Evander Holyfield
  4. George Foreman
  5. Larry Holmes
  6. Mike Tyson
  7. Lennox Lewis
  8. Joe Frazier
  9. Rocky Marciano
  10. Jack Johnson
Jack Johnson should be higher on the list and Foreman and Frazier would have wiped the floor with Holyfield. Lennox Lewis has just not been dominating I doubt he belongs on this list. This might irritate people but I suspect Sonny Liston would have cleaned Tyson's clock.

Jeff

Latest Discussions