Togakure Ryu Video

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was watching the Togakure Ryu video Hatsumi Sensei put out back in the late 80's.

One of the things he mentioned, after the section where he demonstrated the use of the Shuko to do sword disarms was that the techniques of the Togakure-ryu were mostly practiced while wearing Shuko.

Is it still common for training to be done that way, or is training in shuko somthing that is done more of a "special" session?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
One of the things he mentioned, after the section where he demonstrated the use of the Shuko to do sword disarms was that the techniques of the Togakure-ryu were mostly practiced while wearing Shuko.

Is it still common for training to be done that way, or is training in shuko somthing that is done more of a "special" session?

Yes. No. Both.

I have been told several times that shuko were used widely as you described. That is why we have the shinkan ken. But to do it well, you need to be able to do push ups on your shinkan ken. How many typical Bujinkan members can do that nowdays?

So we have replaced a lot of what used to be shinkanken with standard fudoken.

And most of the time I have practiced the Tonsogata from Togakure ryu, we have done so without anything on our hands. But almost every session I have ever been at with the boss he takes some time to talk about how the technique would change with shuko.

P

Peter Steeves

Shikan-ken Push-ups: Yup! Part of our curriculum; my students all have to practice (though we're told to do it on a soft surface - it's for the strengthening, not for toughening the knuckles).

Shuko are darn-near *required* to make some of the techniques work as well as they're supposed to. You'd have an awfully difficult time making some of the locks and throws work with hand-grip-power alone; with shuko however, they'd motivate the desired action of your opponent quite quickly and easily.

There's also the kata in which you're moving fairly directly in against Tsuki, and there's a psychological factor that allows you to do it more easily with shuko on (not that it really changes things much physically - you're just more willing to do it).

All that said, we will most often train without them being worn, just as a practical matter (makes the handsprings tough, too!)

Blue Eagle Warrior

White Belt
Reaction score
"

Quote:
That is why we have the shinkan ken. But to do it well, you need to be able to do push ups on your shinkan ken. How many typical Bujinkan members can do that nowdays?

I can. I am a typical Buj.

thats one.

KE"

Wah! I'm Bujinkan, and I can do shikanken push-ups. I think most members can.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blue Eagle Warrior,

Welcome to Martial Talk!

Henso

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Don, Peter,

I have never practiced Santo Tonso Gata with Shuko, but from having done so empty handed, I was wondering how you would go about doing so in practice, as the movements would appear to be difficult to execute without seriously injuring the uke. I'm thinking of Migi/Hidari Kata Ude Tonso Gata and Tekubi Suji and Atekomi Tonso Gata, as examples, and would appreciate your reflections upon your own practice using Shuko.

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
With this years topic should make this a good conversastion again. Happy new year all.

Latest Discussions